3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage bow camoulflaging tips  (Read 695 times)

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage bow camoulflaging tips
« on: April 08, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
I am finishing up a BBO for for turkey season and I have a few other woods in the mix as well.  This may be my go to bow this year but... who knows for sure.  My delima is that I need some form of "camoulflage" for the bow so that I can take it turkey hunting but I dont want to permanently hide the beautiful yellow.  I thought about the tiger stain pattern for the back but am not sure what to do with the belly does anyone have some suggestions or pictures.  Thanks for the help guys.

Cody
Your wife will accustom herself to shavings and scraps of feathers on the rugs.-Saxton Pope

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage bow camoulflaging tips
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
As for now, you could use some of the removable camo spray paint or a camo sleeve. By the time deer season arrives the bright yellow color should be a nice, nonflashy golden brown color. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »

I used the simple camo limb covers on this osage Shrew.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Cody,
  What I do is rub some of my camo face paint on the limbs. It does a good job and is easily removed when desired. Another good thing to do is leave the osage out in the sun, it will darken it to a rich golden orange color. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
What I do is paste wax the bow and don't buff it off.  Then I spray paint it.  It's very easy to remove by just rubbing off...even walking thru the woods scratches will take off some of the paint...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
Thanks fellas.
Your wife will accustom herself to shavings and scraps of feathers on the rugs.-Saxton Pope

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
Just leave it out on my back porch for oh, say.... 9 months!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Little Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
I like limb sleeves.Easy on, easy off....no chems or smell.

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Cody, does the bow have finish on it already?
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
I usually add a set of snakeskins, limb sleeves like Little Tree, or paste wax like Tippit, and have found they all to work well.  Also, the limb sleeves will help protect your bow.

Walt
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Ralph no finish yet, heck the bow isnt even done yet.  Why what do you have in mind?

Cody

Offline Bowchef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Try rubbing it with chlorine bleach before finishing it.  This will make it look like it has been lying in the sun for a year.  Nice rich brown color.
Doug

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
If it's not finished yet, you have many options. Since all my bows are built for HUNTING I darken them up before finishing. On the BBOs I've done I take some Zar wood stain, not Minwax Wood Finish, and put a light coat on the bamboo. Let it dry and then take a cloth and wrap it tightly around your finger. Stick it into the stain and just tap the rag across the back from handle to tip. You can adjust the pattern or the darkness by going over it a second time. Or experiment, Make it darker near handle and lighter as you go to the tips. I also wipe a couple of light coats on the belly and sides of the bow before doing the boo side. After letting it completely dry. Spray on some Satin spray Poly, 4 or five coats can be applied in an hour. It drys very fast. Then hit it with Johnsons Paste wax. You'll get a durable satin finish that is impervious to water. I'll take a pic of a couple and get em on here.
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
[/IMG] The top two bows were webbed with an old sock with some stain on it and are pretty much  "spiderwebbed". The top bow is with Dark Walnut stain, the middle is with Rosewood stain. The top bow gets progressively lighter from handle to tip. Just use less stain.

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
[/IMG] The bottom bow is more mottled. I used Dark Walnut and threw away the sock for the final application of stain. Just lightly dipped my finger in and the alternately rolled the inner two joints of my index finger across the bow from side to side, beginning at the handle and working to the tips.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
oh thats cool i like that a lot  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
I like it Ralph I think I will give it a shot, what did you do for the belly on them bows?  Thats kind of where I am having troubles, see the bow is Osage and Walnut and I like the contrast.

Cody

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
The osage will darken with time unless you totally seal it from light. But, in a few months she will be a beautiful gloden brown if you don't eliminate the light.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Cody, the bellies on all those bows are Osage. I just wiped them with the same stain a couple of times lightly. Brings out the grain in the Osage and darkens it a bit.

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
So Cody, have you done it yet?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©