3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Holy smoke! what a difference!!  (Read 250 times)

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Holy smoke! what a difference!!
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
Well,

Have my 2nd bow under my belt now.  

Started with the Supermag 48 that pulls around 45 at my draw-and have gotten to where I can hold it back for around 10 seconds, and my shot will still hit where I'm aiming.

So I thinks to myself-Self, you should go up in weight to increase your range of shot-so I bought from the classys here and now have a Bear Grizzly in 60@28,so I should be getting around 65lbs.  

Wow, what a difference!!  Surprisingly, I was almost instantly able to shoot this bow as well as the Supermag at my comfortable distances, which is 25 yds.
But there is no "holding this bow back" right now.  I get to anchor and about 1 second later I start to shake.

Good news is, with 160 grain tips, the spine is working with the carbon shafts that I shoot thru the wheelie bow, so all I needed to do was strip the vanes and fletch with feathers and there ya go!!  I have redone 6 shafts so far, and have enough to go for 12.

140 in it so far, so a couple of skinnies from CJC are in order, and were looking at a great hunting setup and jump in horsepower for under 200.   Thanks Tradgang members!!

Farmer

Offline Nor'easter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Holy smoke! what a difference!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
60#s is a BIG jump in horsepower.
Has your draw length remained the same?
60" Border Ultra hexIV 58@28
60" Border Ultra hexV 53@28
58" Robertson FatalStyk 52@28

Offline Nor'easter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Sorry, meant 20#s.
60" Border Ultra hexIV 58@28
60" Border Ultra hexV 53@28
58" Robertson FatalStyk 52@28

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
That's a good question-
maybe you can help me answer it correctly.

I still anchor at the same spot, and my arrows are identical to the 30/50's , around 31 inches of length.   I guess that this means the same draw.  
Still 1 over 2 under.

It doesn't SEEM like I am positioning my head any differently.
Do feel the weight difference in my front shoulder, and a little more between the shoulders.

Keep in mind that 45 is probably a tad too little for me, I just went with that weight to be able to manage the bow, and concentrate on my shots.  This was based on good advice from the members on this board.  
I am still going to finish this season hunting with the 45lb'er, just cause I have far more shots under my belt with this bow, and more confidence.

I don't feel like I will be able to shoot both bows and interchange them.   I will probably pick up heavier practice with the 60 once rifle season starts, and my try to end the season with 60.   I think the speed/trajectory thing would be too much to try to shoot one then the other.   The supermag will probably be donated to my 13 year old, who is already trying to work up the muscle to shoot it.   :)   A boy and his bow!

Farmer

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
looks good  wise choice on going with 60lbs if you can shoot that poundage well you have a huge advantage over 45lbs ,, if you buy a newer faster bow 55lbs will give you the edge just in case the shot is less than perfect   :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Farmer those lighter bows will be good on colder days,or when you will age :bigsmyl: The heavier is good for elk too
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
yeah, its a give and take.

the 60 lbs and longer tip to tip make for a little heavier bow than the supermag 48 -carry wise.

But to keep things in perspective, I pick up the wheelie bow and suddenly the recurves are like a feather.

Yeah, I won't get rid of the lighter one, unless my son wants to trade up someday, then I will probably take it back.

Just shy of 40, so if the Lord wills, can probably continue with this weight for a few years.   Planting fence posts, feed 80lbs of gluten, and slinging hay all help keep the muscle tone in good shape.

Just wonder why this belly keeps growing?  :rolleyes:  

Farmer

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
If you're a fit, strong bloke, you'll have no dramas. Have fun!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©