3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crazy ways to attract deer  (Read 813 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Crazy ways to attract deer
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Ok, last year my daughter 5yrs.old came with me to check my stands.We no sooner made the walk in to the stand and she said daddy i have to go tinkle, so that day she bonded with nature and I did the best to cover it up with leaves.Two days later when I went to hunt that stand the deer scraped the same spot and I was laughing my -ss off.So what is the craziest thing that attracted deer to your stand?let it rip.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crazy ways to attract deer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
The oddest was when I couldn't snifle a sneeze, and it was a good one....actually two good ones, the kind that make your eyes water.  About three minutes later a six point buck came in....looking for the noise and what made it.  He actually caught me by surprise and I moved, scaring him away.  I never tried the sneeze as an attractant though.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Been doing this for years... Peeing on the ground ( moc-scrapes), peanut butter & Honey sandwiches for a snack, some times gut a deer and leave it w/in 20yds of a stand ( The smell will have deer check it out ).

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
I know a guy who used to swear by using a little capfull of anise oil in the middle of a shooting lane.  Claimed it would attract deer or at the very least, get them to stop for a sniff when they came down the trail.

The weirdest I've ever heard of was guys asking their wife or girlfriend to save a used.. uh....well, "feminine hygiene" product for them then hanging it up like a scent wick.

The strangest I've ever used was vanilla extract.  It worked for me on does but never had the chance to check it out on a wise old buck.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I know a guy that swears by the hygiene product too. He used to freeze them then hang them up in trees. He's a little nuts but he has a couple nice bucks on the wall.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I have taken dropping from my lawn put them in a plastic bag and added tap water to make a muddy paste. Put the paste on the ground and trees near a Montana decoy - doe and it brought a buck first time out. It was too dark to get a shot off.

I also heard if you take a big white feather - seagull size and attach a fishing swivel to the quill so it bobs and rotates in the wind it looks like a tail twitching. I made one never worked for me.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
I don't need any deer bad enough to do that TJ.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
George you know you are right on the money!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline William Mansfield

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
I once left some fish sticks out in front of the trail cam for the fox but the doe ate them all up before the fox could get to them.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Set your bow down and get more than 2 steps away from it, deer will show up right now!

Eric

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
The used tampons work! Estrogen is estrogen.  This is not a personal testimony but a friend's, who swears by them. Of course, he is divorced.  I've been married for 33 years because I knew better than to make such requests!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
My brother builds worm fence(zig zag aspen rail fence) on the mountian during the summer. He has notice the deer and sometime the elk will come into freshly fallen aspen trees to eat the leaves. The animals like the leaves from the older aspen trees becuase the leaves are not as bitter.  He will cut a few trees and just sit down and they will funnel in. If he has been cutting in the area for a while the will walk right in with the saw still running.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Tried the tampons 40 yrs ago, they dont work and that was the first clue to the ex wife that I wasn't playing wit a full deck...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Don't ask the wife for them dumpster dive at her   obgyn's office.Just Kidden couldn't help myself.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
My friend Sammy is sold on Vanilla extrack.  He put some on  silk pod in front of my stand this fall and sure enough  a deer stood there  with its nose in pod while I shot under it. (in my defence it was raining, my feathers were wet and the beaver ball string silencers were saturated too)
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Vinlla and Anise sound like bear hunting. Hey but if it works why not.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
When I was a kid my grandpa used to tell me that if you belched or passed gas real loud, deer would come to the noise.  I'd tell him he was pulling my leg.  On one hunt, we were sitting in the blind and I let one rip.  It really echoed in that plywood blind and stunk to high heaven.  I got the giggles and Papa had to get out for some fresh air.  Right as he opened the door a little buck came busting through the brush.  Papa said, "See, I told ya."

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
About a week ago I climbed into my stand well before dark.  When I went to pull my bow and quiver up, it was hung on a something.  I yanked and pulled on it to the point that my bow and quiver were swinging around at the bottom of the tree, crashing into the tree and brush.  It was quite a racket.  I figured it scared anything within hearing distance away.  Well, it finally came loose and no sooner did I have bow in hand then a deer shows up about 20yds behind me.  It was still a little too dark to shoot, as I couldn't see small branches or even head gear, but I guess this deer came in to check out the noise.  I suppose it sounded something like a buck thrashing a tree.
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
I like to shoot a judo from my stand when I get settled. I have put a few drops of anise oil on the fletching and often deer will stop and smell it.
I also pee in scrapes when I find them. Works like a charm but the bucks often revisit after dark.
Two years ago we had a bear lurking around the house. I put out a tub of corn, poured honey and moleasses in it and smeared peanut butter all around the rim. I set up my trail camera and the next day all the peanut butter was gone. Checked the camera and deer had eaten it all.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Tried the used tampon (hunter wife) but only got snorted at. Tied the string to my boot lace and dragged it to my stand. The deer didn't like it at all!! I wasn't too fond of it myself... When she was 6 months pregnant, we were scouting before the season and, as pregnant women must, she had to go. The next weekend there was a scrape on the spot. It was after that (the next year) that I tried her tampon. Apparently the magic was gone. (She arrowed a forkhorn through the heart while pregnant- the bowstring barely cleared her belly.)

I've had deer come to the sound of breaking branches when I climbed a cedar tree to hunt from it and had to clear my way up. Shot a nice 8 pt. that way.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©