3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crazy ways to attract deer  (Read 812 times)

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crazy ways to attract deer
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
This worked for me last year.
1) Wake up late or have your buddy pick you up late    :)  
2) Fumble through the woods because some wise guy took out your bright eyes    :mad:
3) When you do finally find your tree walk quickly towards it and climb up ASAP  
4)Do your best tree impression and wait on action    :p  
I went through this routine last year and before I even had my back pack off I could hear a deer moving towards me. Well as luck would have it i had a small eight directly under stand looking around. He probably thought no way a hunter is making all this commotion so he decided to check it out.   ;)   Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I used to work with a guy that could make himself burp whenever he wanted. I told him it sounded more like a deer grunt than most of the deer grunt calls. Anyway he tryed it in the woods a few days later and had a small buck come and circle his stand. I have tried but cant get the hang of making myself burp..Must be a gift.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I was hunting the other day and fell asleep next to a tree. I snored so loud I woke myself up. I looked and thirty yards away was a doe and a nice buck starting at me. Maybe I can market it.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Wolleybugger,

Maybe you could call it a "Snore-wheeze"!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Unintentionally falling into a hard sleep in the woods is probably the most surefire way I know.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
I have used the anise, the vanilla extract, persimmon extract white oak acorn scent wafers and the buck rut wafers as well as the estrous doe scent wafers. Not much help from any of them. Now I just search for a good spot and put my face into the wind trying to be "invisible" to both the eye and the nose.
Sam

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Had a doe walk right out under me while doing # 1 off my stand. Couldnt hold it anymore.

Put my bow down at my feet after walking five feet down trail to put my glove on. Looked up theres a BIG doe standing 25 feet from me turned to the side like a 3 D target shot looking right at me.

She stared at me for over 30 seconds. then walked away. I heard laughing, I know I did
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
I used to put my hunting clothes in a bag with a few squirts of Buck Lure.

Squirt some Buck Lure in an open garbage bag,then twist the open end shut with air inside like a balloon. Shake well!!!(you will notice little vapor droplets on the inside of the bag) Put your clothes in and let them "cook" for a few days.

The dam deer were following me all around the woods!!!!! This was great during gun season,because almost every deer(both bucks AND does) came in head on,but was VERY frustrating when bowhunting because they never would turn to give me a broadside shot!!!!!   :banghead:  

BUT, If you REALLY want to see deer.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
If I really want to see a deer, I usually nock a small game arrow. That seems to work rather well.   :banghead:

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Anyone else notice that nobody has ever tried the "ladies products", it is always their friends...  :saywhat:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Lonnie bailey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
i was carring my ladder stand into the woods the other day and had a hot doe and a nice 8 pointer almost run over me. they came within 15 yards of me and all i had in my hands was the ladder stand. never fails!!
2012 Traditional World Champion MLB

Zipper SXT T/D longbow 60" 46# @28"
Zipper Zipstick longbow 60" 42# @28"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by ArrowAtomik:
Unintentionally falling into a hard sleep in the woods is probably the most surefire way I know.
That has never worked for me, but I can tell you that if you fall asleep on the sunny side of a hill a squirrel can and will come set on your chest and look into your face until you wake up and you both get quite a fright.  :biglaugh:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lonnie bailey:
i was carring my ladder stand into the woods the other day and had a hot doe and a nice 8 pointer almost run over me. they came within 15 yards of me and all i had in my hands was the ladder stand. never fails!!
Last year almost to the day I hung a stand at a tree with a stick ladder I had set up already.  It was about noon, and I figure it was a good time to move in there.  I got the stand up, my bow tied on my pull up rope and I was about 3' off the ground when a very large 8 pt, largest buck of the year, runs within 5' of me.  He passes me then comes walking back on the other side of the tree.  He got so close I could see the drops of moisture from him huffing and puffing hanging on his whiskers, and I could hear him panting.  5 minutes later and I would have been up and ready.  2 minute earlier and I would have been on the ground with my bow in hand.  All I could do was try and push myself around the tree to keep as much out of sight as possible and watch him.  I could have spit on him.  He finally got nervous and walked off.  I never saw him again.  However, I have my stand in that tree now, the wind is right, and I will be in it tomorrow.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
I used to put my hunting clothes in a bag with a few squirts of Buck Lure.
Maybe it's just me but the last thing I want to do in the woods full amorous bucks is to smell like a hot doe.  Head-on shots don't work all that well with archery equipment and I don't run nearly fast enough to deal with the ramifications of a miss.

:biglaugh:

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Come on Jim......Where is your sense of adventure?

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
heard of tampons but I'm not even gonna bother,,,, I also heard of another guy who would use some cologne on a tissue and I hear it brought it Does more than bucks but their curiosity made them come in and check it out.

and most of all take a nap if you snore and I promise almost everytime you wake up there will be a deer standing out there looking at you.
"Us vs Them"

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
A buddy of mine has trail pics of deer with coolaid all over there mouth.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
I have 4 deer antlers tied togeater formin' about 3 foot long string with about a 20 pullup string tied to one end...when I walk to the stand I draw these behind me..seems to work well. When in the stand/blind I let then lay on the ground and take the pull rope with me..I can use one hand to lift and drop them, makes the best rattle system you find!!  :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Cherry Skoal.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
Come on Jim......Where is your sense of adventure?
I'm all for adventure - just not buck-curious.

:biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©