3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody carry a full size camera while hunting?  (Read 499 times)

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody carry a full size camera while hunting?
« on: April 08, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I recently got a new DSLR camera which I plan to carry this coming bow season. Obviously, I'm gonna have to downsize some of my junk to carry it.
 So do any of you carry a big camera?
 How do you carry yours?

Brutus

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody carry a full size camera while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
I have done so, but the equipment, no matter the size, causes one to either do one or the other, hunt, or photograph. I have the same trouble when I carry broadheads for deer along with blunts for squirrels!

The big camera goes in a dedicated pack for protection. It is a padded LowePro backpack with compartments for lenses and camera body (with lens attached. I also have carried a Bogen tripod with a grip-action ball head along.

In the field, I take time from hunting to photograph. Just photograph. Then, when the air feels gamey, the camera is set aside or packed up and I hunt. The compact digital (with mini "tabletop" or strap-on tripod gets me more pics. I am usually disappointed with the outcome, but sometimes very pleased, and "iffy" pics are salvaged in the editing program through cropping or playing with effects.

I haven't gotten the DSLR of my dreams, and am holding out for the funds for its dedication. The combination of activity so far leads me to the decision on my part to either do one or the other, as both suffer in combination.  That  leads me to the conclusion that I am just not good enough at either of them yet, but what a fine goal for one to apply oneself!

This is a crop. If I had had a DSLR and tripod, and the right lens, I would have maybe gotten this as a full size image. But without a camera, I would have only a memory (fading) of a vague hunt in the past years somewhere.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Great pic of my dear friend Killdeer, Killie. Hope you don't mind that I spirited it away for my web site Journal Pages. ("Soon appearing in a theatre near you ...")  :D    :archer:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Oh, my problem is just remmebering to get my camera out of my truck - any time, any camera, any where - before the photo op has passed.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I have three cameras. A Sony F717 with external flash, a Nikon D70 with 4 lens and external flash and a Canon S50 point and shoot. When I hit the woods, the Canon gets the nod. It's a compact camera that fits into my pack and takes great pics. I team it up with a mini tripod and I'm good to go. The Sony and Nikon go on more controlled trips, family events, auction photo's, ect. The added bulk and weight and the real possibilty of damage keeps my big cameras at home when I hit the field.

Your mileage may vary...

Happy Easter!

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Hatchet Jack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
I just bought a Canon S50 point and shoot and it will go on all my hunting trips.

Hatchet Jack
UBP MEMBER
UBK MEMBER
GREAT PLAINS RECURVE
55@28

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Yeah, I have a Nikon F301 35mm SLR that I always have handy. My biggest trouble is that if I start shooting my camera, I tend to forget about the hunt----very similar to Killdeers' troubles.
 However, I do use one of those Bino-systems to hold my camera. The brand name slips my mind right now----I'll find it. But you know the type, fits snug against your chest, and has enough tension to hold your camera upright with a pretty ample lens system attached.

Jeff

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
I like to carry a camera with me when I hunt. But as others have said, I find myself doing one or the other. It's tough to do both.

I did come across this site the other day that shows how to make a nifty tripod. I haven't tried it yet myself, but looks like it would work well for hunting.

Tri-Pod
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
Carry my 35mm Canon with a 70-210 Telephoto with Macro lens. Carry a portable 12" tripod also. This year I carried both my 35 and Digital.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Again KillDeer hits the nail right on the head with her wisdom.

There is a few things that I always take on a hunting trip/stump shoot. Bow, a good knife, binos and canon camera. I've just bought (well 6 months ago anyway) a new Canon D350 and it came with a twin lens kits. Got a good deal on it so I moved into the 21stC.

Anyways, I carry it in a small Camelbak daypack with water and a few snaks. Or just in a good size fannypack.

Hope this helps.

In Oz, al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
I carry mine in a backpack along with a medium-sized tripod.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
KillDeer, I always love your photos. I wouldn't say they suffer for any thing. As for myself, I use a digital that is a bit bigger then my hand. I like to take a few odd shots. I hate when a photo Opp. comes along and I don't have it with me.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©