3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moccasins  (Read 413 times)

Offline Gert

• Trad Bowhunter
Moccasins
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Whom of you are really using handcrafted moccasins to walk and stalk , is there still a place in traditional hunting for moccasins, or are the Hightech boots the right thing to do? When-ever I saw a picture of tradtitional hunters with their quarry along side them I saw hunters with the hightech boots?????
Wood is alive, craft a bow

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moccasins
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
A lot may depend upon the type of hunt taking place.
If I'm in the Arizona desert looking for javelina I know I'm going to be doing some walking and I'll want the support and sole of a good pair of boots.
But if I'm in a local mountain watching for mule deer I'm not doing nearly as much walking as I am sneaking. I may only do a few hundred yards the whole day. For that hunt, a good pair of quiet moccasins works well.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
I bought a pair a few years ago and tried to use them when hunting in the fall here in IL. I got to say walking on dry leaves in them was like ice skating! They were definately not for me.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline osage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
I use the Russell hand made moccasins, ground hunting in creek bottom land for years. They are a little slick with dry conditions, but you can feel the ground well with them.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
I use them from time to time on fairly flat ground. I like how you can 'feel' the ground, and they are really quiet, but on steep slopes or rocky terrain, they are not my cup of tea.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline George Metz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Love my WC Russells. But you better take'em off before you try to cross a footlog! Not that it happened to me....just something I've heard.
"one's belief is not required to validate the truth."

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
It sounds odd, I know, but if you use Russell or dyer smooth sole moccasins it'll help quite a bit if you grease the soles with something like Obernauf's or pitch blend. That's for walking on the ground of course, but it helps. A good alternative- better in my opinion- is the Russell Bowhunter with crepe soles or the Mohican Stalker. Great moccasin design and very quiet. A little pricey but they are a lifetime hunting boot with a little care.    Grant

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by adeeden:
I bought a pair a few years ago and tried to use them when hunting in the fall here in IL. I got to say walking on dry leaves in them was like ice skating! They were definately not for me.
Don't try going uphill in them on either wet or dry leaves - it turns into skiing back downhill entirely too quickly.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
I wear my moccasins if its not too wet

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
I wear them from the house to the garage to put on my corn stalkers!   :p
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Russells if yea can afford them!! Don't wear em around town on the cement and asphalt you'll wear the soles glass smooth. Better in dryer conditions that wet for me.  But you're moving slow and stalking so they'll work fine.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
I used to hunt in my mocs all the time - dry, wet, snowy, whatever.  The do get pretty slippy but you can't have everything.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I have dyers,arrows, and another brand thats made in VT,,,, awesome for trad shoots or taking it easy in the woods, cruising my triumph,  but the worst for warmth in cold weather, traction on leaves or grass and the absolute worst for dragging a deer-> forget about it, ha ha...  love them alot but I plan to get the mukluks from arrow next that are warm and have better traction.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Try Minnetonka
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I use to hunt in moccasins in nice weather. I found that after a while they formed a hard crusty layer that would become noisy. I found I like my wool socks the best. Just my take. I would think that moccasins would be quite traditional to me.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
The mukluk's from arrow moc look great!  Those will likely be my next pair of boots.

I have a pair of the double soled lave boots from arrow moc and love 'em.  More often than not, they're on my feet in the woods.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
i make my own mocs and will be hunting in them next year when i come over  they are real comfy and easy to make.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
I wore a pair of Thula Thula Moccasins by Russell this fall on a Colorado Elk Hunt. I had no problems at all. They were hands down the most comfortable shoe I have worn and by far the quietest. I did not have any problems with them being slick on leaves but then I move pretty slow.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I have a few pair and I wear them all the time whether hunting or not. Wet, dry, doesn't matter to me. The only problems I have are parking lots when its raining. It's slick then.
God bless,Mudd
PS I just ordered a pair of bull hide double soled for my birthday.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
I make my own also ad use them in the early months of hunting. Once its gets cold the boots gota come out..i hate cold feet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©