3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another hunt down...Another lesson learned  (Read 571 times)

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Another hunt down...Another lesson learned
« on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Well yesterday was a beautiful day in Ohio but a little warm. Regardless, Kenny (4runr) and I headed to some land a co worker of mine has for a hunt. It was mostly cow pastures, woods, and cornfields. So we found a great strip of woods with an obvious trail that lead to a spot where the deer jumped the cattle fence. There was a big boulder that had our names on it. My buddy decided he loop around to the other end of the woods and try and drive some deer to us. If one jumped and split to Kenny's side of the boulder he'd shoot and if it split to my side I'd shoot. So 15-20 min later Kenny wispers "get ready he's coming" Bouncing through the brush I can see she's headed straight for us. She hops a log and stops, looks back and then makes a decision that will forever effect her life. She split my way! I was excited as could be and couldn't believe my luck. She quickly headed down the trail that would bring her 10 yards broadside from me. As she trotted towards me I quickly came to full draw and let go the first arrow I've ever released on a deer. The whole situation was exhilerating and felt great. Then to my quick realization the arrow flew about 1" in front of her chest.....a clean miss. The deer continued towards the fence and when she tried to jump it went chest first right into it. As that happened I thought maybe I had hit her and my heart jumped again. But I quickly told myself I  know what I saw when that arrow flew. The deer quickly regained before I could get another arrow and hopped over the fence, across the cow pasture, and into my dreams forever. Instead of breaking to Kenny's side and probably ending up on Kenny's table she chose to split my way and has forever taught me a lesson. Always try to bleat and stop the deer before you shoot. I've read it, seen it, and been told about it but for some reason in the heat of the moment didn't implement it. While I'm sure Kenny will never let me live it down and neither will my co-worker and it's going to haunt me for the rest of the season, I'm still hopeful. It's one more piece in my puzzle and brings me one more step closer to finally getting that deer. Until next time.....

T.J.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another hunt down...Another lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Hello TJ!  Sounds like you and Kenny had a good hunt.  Keep at it.  It'll happen!

Tom Kidwell
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Well told my friend.

I won't let you forget it, but not in a teasing way. I've made more than my share of mistakes, and sometimes made the same mistake twice. If you learn from it then it was well worth it. I am greatful to you for letting me be a part of your learning to become a hunter, it teaches me along the way, how to be a better teacher for my son(if that makes any sense).

Don't let the "bull" bother you  :bigsmyl:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Hey Tom, long time no see!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
You know that sometimes that mouth grunt or whistle sends them bolting as if you stuck em with a hot poker.It usually will stop them but not always.This I know 1st hand.A few tears ago I was watching a 6 point that bedded about 70 yards from me in an open hardwood.After a while a coyote came by and spooked him.He ran right under my tree at a trot and when I grunted him he lit out quick and never slowed down.It did work on the coyote who kept following him til he hit my shooting lane.I still do it somtimes but always half expect it to backfire.From as close as your shot was Id probaly do the same as you did.

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Hey Tom! Good to see you. I'm looking forward to sharing another campfire next year. Hopefully next time we'll have less rain and more fire    :D
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Kenny, you can always fine tune your teaching skills on me. In the long run Adam will be greatful!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
i always try to tell myself to not let the deer be in control of the situation but it's hard i've missed just like that myself.
letting the doe pass and get the quarting shot may have been the ticket-who knows? good time fun story!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Hey T.J. don't feel bad. Last night I had a doe walking fast/ trotting past my stand and I gave a soft bleat. It did stop her but it had her so wired that when my arrow arrived at its aiming point she was already gone. I was pretty frustrated because I have had the bleat/ grunt thing work pretty well in the past but this is the second deer to react this way this year. Oh, and by the way, the 1st deer that dodged my arrow after a grunt earlier this year was a 160"+ buck. The point is as Izzy pointed out sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I am only going to do it as an absolute last resort anymore.
         Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
TJ, sounds like a fine hunt. Your plan came together and you beat the odds. The kill would have been extra. Good Luck!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
A lesson learned on an exciting hunt is what its about. Thanks for the story TJ.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
TJ,

You and Kenny will soon see me over the campfire.  I'm looking forward to it.  Been hunting in Oklahoma for 3 1/2 weeks... still trying to re-adjust to civilization.  See you soon!

Tom
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
If we didn't fail, the success would not be any fun.  Glad you are learning like the rest of us.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline high mountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
sounds like a great hunt and learning experience. Dont beat yourself up too bad about not bleating to stop her...it likely wouldnt have worked in that situation.

It seems to work pretty well on deer that are COMPLETELY calm...but if the deer is on edge for ANY reason to begin with(like your buddy driving them to you)..she likely would have just hightailed it ouuta there faster.
They already know its a dangerous situation...they Arent gonna stop and check things out.

Good luck in the future!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt, T.J.  Missed ya at the Ohio Trad Deer camp!

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Hey Jim! Yeah I would have liked to go but its been way to busy this year. I'll make it a top priority next hunting season. I missed going and had a blast last time I was there.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Great story....fun though wasn't it!!! I would consider grunting to stop an animal if I was shooting a bow that shot 300+ fps. Since my bow only shoots 165 I'll shoot them at a slow walk but nothing faster. I've found that grunting puts them on high alert!

This is just my choice, the wonderful thing about this sport is that you'll figure out what works for you. Good luck in that process. I bet the next one is in your freezer!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
sweet hunt T.J. don't let it bug you I missed a 8 yard shot at a standing still fat doe the first week because I didn't pick a spot and shot right over her back... lesson learned for sure.... i've been doing this for 30 + years and still mess up...

keep after em your time is coming....
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
That experience is now etched in your memory bank forever TJ. Clean miss, shared with good freinds - it might hurt a little now but you will look back fondly on that day.

And like the others have said, nothing works every time. You could very well have tried the bleat and ended up with the same ending - a healthy deer bounding away.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
TJ, a clean miss always is more enjoyable. Just log your lessons and use them wisely. That is part of the fun and challenge. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©