3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longer or shorter arrows?  (Read 426 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Longer or shorter arrows?
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm wondering what the general thoughts are about arrow length. If all other things are equal ( point weight, wood type, arrow flight etc) what is normally better? an arrow with a stiffer spine rating that's a little longer or an arrow with a weaker spine rating that's shorter? Thank you
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longer or shorter arrows?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »
As long as they are tuned to the bow it means very little which way you go as far as arrow flight.Most people however will shoot slightly better with a longer arrow on the typical closer shots most of us shoot.The longer arrow will give you a bit more weight in most cases while the shorter one might give you a higher foc.Bottom line.6 of one and half dozen of the other once the bow is tuned.  :D

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
Well with carbons I don't worry about length,I let the tuning dictate the final length.For me I like my carbons longer especially on longbows not cut to center.They don't come in as many different spines as wood or aluminum.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by James on laptop:
As long as they are tuned to the bow it means very little which way you go as far as arrow flight.Most people however will shoot slightly better with a longer arrow on the typical closer shots most of us shoot.The longer arrow will give you a bit more weight in most cases while the shorter one might give you a higher foc.Bottom line.6 of one and half dozen of the other once the bow is tuned.   :D  
What James said.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
I used to prefer a short arrow that just cleared the riser at my 27" draw. Over time my draw increased, causing my arrows to be to short. I started selling off all those arrows, and moved to full length carbons. Knowing that Im not going to over draw an arrow sets my mind at ease. I also found that I still have a chance to salvage an arrow that I damage the front on. This wasn't possible when they were short.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©