3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are these scrapes???  (Read 717 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Are these scrapes???
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I went to show my boys where I have my stand set up today and to check on a camera when I came across these. I have been using a scent drag going in and have seen a spike and a nice 6 pointer in this immediate area. None of the scrapes are under any branches and I haven't seen any fresh rubs. Are they scrapes? They sure look it to me, but I'm still an inexperienced hunter. I have seen nothing like this in any other part of the woods and have been all over them. There are probably 7 or 8 of them right around my stand.

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline pj starrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are these scrapes???
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
looks like hog rooting or turkey rooting to me

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Looks like turkey to me. I have a million of them on my property.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
I do have a lot of turkeys in here.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Wish I had some hogs!

Offline pj starrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
No you dont, hogs are a terrible nuisance that ruin deer hunting.  I just moved here from texas and i hope i never see another one...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Brian, smell them. If they smell like musky urine then there scrapes, if not most likely turkeys. No tracks in them?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Really looks like turkey scratchings pal. If you look real close at scrapes you will usually see a definative scratch mark from hooves.The really good ones will have a licking branch over them.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
any trax in them?

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Nah I think they're turkeys. Just seemed wierd having them around my stand like that. Any ideas what they're after. Kind of under a hickory tree.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
For future reference, scrapes usually have deer tracks or deer foot drag marks. Turkey scratches usually form a V  and have little or no sign in them. The are difficult to tell apart under many different circumstances. I think you found some turkey sign.
Scrapes  can  be found in clusters like that, but usually arent. More in a line(as in the line of travel). They are typically under a "licking branch", but not always. You can almost always find a track in a scrape-sometimes it helps figure out the direction of movement.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
You realize that I had to overcome my ego to post this, but I would look silly to learn something. No such thing as a stupid question...

I'm on some deer so I'm happy either way!   :bigsmyl:

Thanks for being gentle and helpful! This group is my hunting mentor~!!!

Offline pj starrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
you only learn by asking questions brother

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
The only foolish question ...is the one you don't ask!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
If it was a scrape, placing your hat beside it will kill it quick!

No such thing as a stupid question.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Usually a tree,branch, sapling, over a scrape. Besides urinating in a scrape; Bucks rub their orbital gland on the branch to leave their scent too.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
If they were scrapes, they were already killed. My kids had walked around them already. I really didn't think they were. There were too many and none under any branches. It just seemed strange to me that they just happened to be all around my stand. My 16 year old wanted to see where I was set up. He hasn't been shooting enough for me to let him come out with me. I was hoping that he would want to come out with me if I showed him where I was set up. I would give up all the deer in the woods to get him out with me.   :(

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Pee in one and see if it grows! Deer don't know human pee from deer pee. I've made mock scrapes using my own pee and had deer enlarge them for me.

However, I also think those are turkey scratchings. For one thing, they seem to be scraped from the center out. Deer scrapes are usually one direction. As has been said, they almost always have either hoof prints, toe marks or both. Often there is a licking branch over the scrape, but I've seen a lot of them without, especially on a well used trail. If you have turkeys in the area, I'd be 99% sure that's what made your "scrapes" though.

BTW: turkeys are mighty tasty too.    ;)
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Tyke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
BTW: turkeys are mighty tasty too.

And a lot easier draggin'!
only those who attempt the absurd, achieve the impossible.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I would love a turkey! They seem harder to get than the deer.

We all peed on one just for fun.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©