3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: B 50 bowstrings?  (Read 698 times)

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
B 50 bowstrings?
« on: April 08, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Just wondering - how many people are shooting B 50 on their bows instead of the fast-flights? I have two R/D longbows, one with BCY 450 and another with DF 97, and I have tried quite a few things to get these bows quiet and still have more noise than I'd like. I've tried beaver balls, cat whiskers, bowjacks, and adjusting brace height and still more noise than I'd like. My arrows are 10 some grains per pound.Thinking about trying a B50 string. I know these are supposed to be slower, but how much slower than a fast-flight loaded with silencers?

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: B 50 bowstrings?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
TJ the first thing I do is either order the bow with b-50 or change the strings as soon as possible. I just like b-50 better. I use catwhiskers on all my strings usually anywhere from 10 to 13 "s from the nocks.Your only loosing a couple fps and wear and tear on the bow I would think is a lot less with b-50

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Only a couple fps loss? That's it? The extra noise hardly seems worth it for a couple fps. Even if it was 8 to 10 fps difference the extra noise isn't worth it. I've heard B50 stretchs alot. Just when new or over the life of the string?         Thanks.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
If your bow can handle it I like D97 on my bows,its a personal choice in my opinion.I find D97 is quieter then the old FF.I have no problem making a bow quiet.I like D97 for the feel of the shot not for the speed increase.It make the bow feel more solid,alot of guys say B50 can make your bow have more handshock because of the springy feel of B50.Bow design can have an effect on noise,D97 is not always noiser then B50 sometimes it can be the opposite.I only use B50 on older recurves for safety.My preferred string is D97 on all my bows except for the dacron only older recurves.JMO

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
I only make and use B-50 or B-500 strings.  My bows are all either older laminated glass/wood bows or wood bows.  Given the small increase in performance and the large increase in price, I don't feel a need to go to the higher performance materials.  String stretch is no big deal.  After the initial stretch is done it's a pretty easy matter to put a twist or two in while stringing the bow to keep the brace height good.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
If you haven't already done it, try adjusting your silencer placement--that can make a huge difference.  How your nock fits, padded loops, how the string is made in general, etc. can also make a difference.

Some bows seem to "like" certain materials over others, some don't seem to care one way or the other.

I won't use dacron on a bow that will handle Dynaflight '97, and very rarely even shoot a dacron-only bow.  I own a couple, but only for sentimental/collector value.  I've got a Dynaflight string on my selfbow, because with dacron the hand shock is just too much.  I gets lots of comments on how quiet my longbow and selfbow are, and both keep a Dynaflight string on them.

How much more stretch you'll get with dacron depends on the strand count, draw weight, draw length, temperature, etc.  If you unstring your bow, it will draw back up some and have to settle back in.  Heavier bows/lower strand counts will stretch more.  They will stretch more in hot weather vs. cold.  I don't know if they ever completly stop stretching.

The benefits I notice the most with Dynaflight (and other low-stretch materials) are much less hand shock, much less stretch/creep, and a much stronger/more durable string.  I'd use it if it were slower than dacron.

The speed difference also depends on the variables of strand count, how the string is made, etc.  Most probably average 5-10 fps, but it can be more.

I've personally never seen a bow that was made to accept FF type materials damaged by a properly made string.  I've only seen two damaged by a string at all, and these were old bows with improperly made strings.  I have seen several bows that broke/failed with dacron strings.  I'm not blaming the dacron string, but generally speaking if a bow fails and has a FF type string on it, the string gets the blame.  If it has a dacron string, something else gets blamed.  I've been using Dynaflight on my main bow since just after the material hit the market, pulling 66# at 30.5".  I hunt with it, play with it, and shoot lots of 3-D tournaments with it.  I have no idea how many thousands of arrows have been shot throught it.  It shoots as good today as the day I got it.

Using a dacron string may be quieter on some bows, but IMO tuning plays a much larger part.  If someone just likes dacron, don't see any reason to not use it.  Just don't want to see the other materials get a bad rep. when they haven't earned it.

Chad

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
All I use is B-50 on all my bows. After the string is broke in, I don't have to adjust at all, and there quiet with no silencers at all on them. I haven't used a silencer on my longbows for years, and not one deer has jumped the string on me. It's a personal choice, if your bow can handle both kinds, but I just like B-50.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline mich-mtnman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
of man made synthetics....
my favorite is dacron b-50. simple cheap reliable.
unless its cut or marred in a certain spot ive NEVER had one fail.
i do try using different methods of building the strings now and i went from machined adjustable string jigs, to boards , to simple two nails and now i make my strings 1 1/2 the length of the bow im making it for and i , figure about 2 strands per10 lbs of bow weight after 50 lbs and anything under 50 lbs i still use 10 strands for durability and ease on small fingers of women/children.
i use a long single flemish loop/with timber hitch, usualy only two ply if someone wants multiple colors but i like just straight up brown, and i use a string/cordage making twist from the flemish loop all the way down and just an overhand knot to finish it off with lotsa beeswax ,and i use the same b-50 for the serving.
this way after the initial break in, it stays put.
no failures to date....and if i do my part, meaning waxing caring for the strings and replacing them if i see any "ify" spots, things are just grand and for my intended pourposes b-50 works for me.
this is just my honest opinion, thanks for reading.
jamie
" still trying to look like a 300# leaf "

Offline mich-mtnman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
oh , i forgot to add, with the little extra length i can fit many bows! if someones bowstring breaks i can give him one of mine and they will be up and hunting.
dont be afraid of the timber hitch.if it will work on a 130# wabow it will work on your rig.
jamie
" still trying to look like a 300# leaf "

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Yep plenty of good info here. Once you get your brace height set to where you want it with the b-50 shoot for a while ,hang your bow for a day or two on two pegs by the string check your brace height after a couple of days it should be stretched to where it should be.Write down your exact string length loop to loop for future reference. After every hunting season I take my old b-50 off and save it for a spare put it in your bow case incase of an emergency.Put on a new string for the new hunting season so when it arrives your new string will be right where you want it.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
I have a couple of R/D longbows that use a FF string, but everything else gets a B-50.

Good advice above on the two nails, I've been using that system for a while now with good results. I use the actual string length I need and add 16" for the loops and twists, and drive two nails into the wall. Real simple.

Also, I agree that once a well made B-50 string stretches in, it's as stable as anything else.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »
There has been some very good information posted on this thread and similar ones that have appeared recently, and a lot of archers are justifiably interested in this new string material.
On most bows a properly made Dacron string is only a few FPS slower than an equally well made HMPE string. On most of my bows the HMPE strings perform faster, quieter and with less hand shock than B50. If you stay away from Fast Flight these new materials are just as quiet as B50 and a whole lot better.
By the way, a 50# bow is only a few FPS slower than a 55# bow. So you can just pull harder or let technology do the job for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©