3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First hunt EVER coming up!?!?  (Read 340 times)

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
First hunt EVER coming up!?!?
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:50:00 AM »
Hey all,

I'm going on my first hunt ever. When I say that...I mean EVER. Yeah I've shot Jackrabbits and such in the field with a rifle, but this it the first time I will go on an actual hunt for deer and I'm doing it with a longbow. The excitement is killing me! I've got everything ready. It's a Texas hunt so I got my Snickers Bar, Can of corn and I hear that Raspberry Jell-O is good too....LOL!

Any advise to keep steady if a shot arrives?? There will 5 of us for 4400 acres, so I will be alone. At the same time I will have all the info over the past year you guys and gals have scent out...pun intended.

Any last minute stuff is welcome. =0)
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First hunt EVER coming up!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 03:21:00 AM »
No advice other than have fun and good luck!

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »
I've found a sense of humor is just as important as practice, sharp broadheads, and picking a spot.
Dry sleepingbags and fresh socks are a considerable comfort, too.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »
Ditto on what was said, and be safe. Watch out for those BH, they are sharp.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:45:00 AM »
What is a "broadhead"??

Is my girlfriend going to be upset??

Just kidding y'all. They poke blood and shave.

I'm more worried about the actual connect.

Staying steady. Breath??

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
Imagine a ball inside the animal's chest and shoot at that ball.  It'll be fine.

Better advice - keep a journal.  I wish I had written down what I saw and did and so forth.  I do that now and have for a few years but I wish I had started that sooner.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
Have fun and hunt safe!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
Just stay calm and breath.  Yeah right!!  LOL

Well try and stay kinda calm and remember to pick a single hair too shoot at and concentrate on that hair.  Don't think about anything else. .just that hair. One hair and one hair only!

You are getting sleepy .. when you awake, you will concentrate on the one hair and get your first deer.

SNAP!!

See that's not that hard.

Mike

LOL
Mike Westvang

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Avoid direct eye contact with the animal. They sense it. Stay calm and take your time. Most of the bad shots I've made have been a direct result of rushing my shot for fear of being busted.  Pick a spot and stay focused on the spot. After you shoot the deer watch it as it runs away and try to pick a landmark where you last saw it. Be safe and have fun.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Just shoot like it is a target pick a spot and keep looking at the spot until the arrow hits its mark. We have a tendency to look at the deer as the arrow is released and miss. dont move if the deer can see you because it will, wait until it has its head turned away.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Remember to breathe.Quit looking at antlers and concentrate your vision on a fine "spot".Don't get too much tunnel vision.You need to be aware of other deer around and what they are doing at the time of your draw.

Now,very important,after release,concentrate fully on tracking the flight of the deer with your eyes and ears.Make mental notes of landmarks that will help you find where you saw him last.Remember,after you leave the blind or stand,you will be looking at everything from a different angle and everything will then look different.A few landmarks will help sort that out.

As important as the visual is listening intently for as long as possible.Did it sound like it continued in a straight line or did it change course? Did you here a crash?

It would be a good idea to back out after a hit and get some experienced help to track and show you some things about tracking.

It is very important to try to determine where the deer was hit and how much penetration you got.This will influence how much time you give him before following.Your powers of observation will help here too.

After the shot,stay deathly quiet.You don't want to alarm the deer and give it any additional adrenaline and this is the time you need to use your senses to gather any information that will help you find your deer.Leave the fist pumping to the idiots on TV.

Have a great time,stay as calm as you can and take lots of pictures,not just of the kill but your entire hunt-start to finish.Pictures of the country,in camp,fellow hunters etc..This is a very special time.you will enjoy looking back on it regardless of the outcome.Don't base success on whether you bring home a dead animal.It's the whole process,start to finish.It's why we do things the way we do.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Well..... Actualy.....

I have to HONESTLY say that if your not trembling from head to toe when that deer is coming closer,you will probly never go hunting again!!!!!LOL The "rush" is what it's all about!!!!! If your calm as can be,and steady as a rock,the "it's no big deal" syndrome takes over and the interest goes right out the window. I believe it's "The Rush" that keeps us coming back!!!!!

When it's time for the shot..... try to clear your head and talk yourself through it step by step. Also DO NOT doubt yourself!!!!! Think of the deer like the target in your yard or on the 3-D course. (just like you've made the shot 100 times before)

GOOD LUCK!!!!! Let us know how it works out!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Wingnut....It WORKED!! Only problem now is, my dogs have antlers? LOL

I can be in Weatherford in about 3 1/2 hours you know? If you need help with does. =0) By the way, your bows are gorgeous.

JimB....very good stuff. I keep reading your post over and over.

Thanks all!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©