3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2009 PA Buck  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
2009 PA Buck
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
I havested this buck last Monday November 2nd. I have a bit of history with it. I had shot this buck the previous Wednesday  October 28th and got poor penetration due to a broadhead adapter failure. I tracked this buck for about  a day in a half. I was very disgusted in myself and what had happened. That Friday I switched my set-up from aluminm adapters to Steel adapters which in turn I needed stiffer shafts. Needless to say money and time well spent. I didn't hunt the area where I hit the buck until the following Monday to allow things to calm down since I had covered every concievable piece of ground with in about a half mile. I had gotten into the same stand in which I had wounded the buck from well before day light. As things came to life I was beginning to think I had made the wrong decision in hunting the same stand. Light had come and all was quiet except for the birds praising the day. And a couple Jays yelling at me for invading there space. At about 7:00 am I thought I caught a glimpse of a deer passing well out of range. So my hopes were starting to rise. Then all heck broke loose when a lone doe came blasting past. Then the parade of young bucks came hound doggin in. I had six different bucks with in range and none of which fit the bill. I am in no way a trophy hunter but enjoy the challenge of trying to harvest a mature deer. Then from down range I caught a glimpe of horns coming from the thicket below me. Then I heard the buck snort wheeze, which scared the little bucks into the next county. I had seen this buck before it was a young ten point maybe two in a half years of age. Very nice by all means and had me very tempted to try for if he had made his way to me. Then from behind me I heard another buck and could see a tree being swayed and scarred. I put my bino's up to determine what for buck was pilaging the tree. To my amazement it was the buck I had wounded the week before alive and well. Finally he made his way down the ridge toward the opposing buck, which wound bring him past my perch. I confirmed the bucks idenity by the wound high on his back and a slight hitch in his walk. And at that point I was determined that I would not settle for any other buck. While working his way to the other buck he crossed the trail in which the doe had run down and turned in her direction. I was thinking the doe had pulled him away,and he walked from my sight. The young ten turned in there direction also. A hot doe can be a blessing or curse. All had gotten quiet, when suddenly it sounded like a stampede was coming. It was the doe coming back through with the the ten and "MY" buck hot in tow. She came in and ran right under my stand. The bucks both cut to my left to cut the doe off and put them in a very good position for a shot. As they passed  into my shooting lane I let out a bleat. They both stopped, I was all ready at full draw and focusing on tuff of hair. Before I knew it my bright pink feathers were dissapearing at my point of focus. The buck made it a few steps , then he was down. I was shaking so bad I had to sit down. As I sat there so many thoughts had ran through my mind. What were the chances in having two oppourtunities at the same buck  with the circumstances . I definitly  felt releived that I did not have a deer running around suffering. He is not the biggest buck I have taken but is by far one of my finest accomplishments in my hunting acheivements. Thanks and hope you enjoyed the story. Sorry for the poor pictures,  They are off a cell phone.

Black Widow SAX Osage 58# at 30"
Easton ST Epic Camo 300 615 grains
Magnus 2 blade 125 Grain with a 125 grain steel inserts
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2009 PA Buck
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Beautiful pal, just beautiful.  :clapper:

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Congrats   :bigsmyl:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Congrats, and glad you got it.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
What an amazing story.We seldom get "do-overs".You sure held it together and pulled it off,under what had to have been a lot of pressure and excitement.Congratulations.You do need a new camera though.Christmas is coming up.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Big Ed,

Great buck and great story.  :clapper:

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
Great story Ed. That's the way to finish the tale there! Got any pics of the initial wound? I'd be interested in seeing it if you have any.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Awesome job...congrats!!
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
What a cool story.That's great you got a second chance at him and made it count...way to go!It's amazing how tough these animals are and how strong their will to survive is.Good for you Ed and that's a great deer.

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Great story and congrats!  :)
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
cool Ed good job...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Well done...
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
So glad to hear you got him Ed! Man, what are the chances of that happening. A Big Congrat!
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Now that's a Hunting Story, with a happy ending!

Good shootin Ed! Steve

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
JC, If you look at the first picture top dead center you'll see a big tuff of hair. The wound was festered and nasty looking.That is where the initial shot was.The shot was taken at about seven yards from about eighteen feet up. The broadhead was buried in the bone and never penetrated the diapham. I shoot plenty of arrow weight and I am very anal in making sure that eveything is tuned to the very best of my ability.Bare shafts fly like darts as well as feather arrows with broadheads. The Tapered ferrule part of the broadhead adapter is still in the broadhead while the threaded portion is still in the insert in the arrow. It snapped of clean. I am in the process of boiling off the spine section that still has the broadhead in it. I will try to post some more pictures at a later time. I lost all the pictures on my Digital camera. Hope this helps, Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member