3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: can't hear deer  (Read 1047 times)

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
can't hear deer
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
My hearing is bad ,had so many deer walk up behind me ,be under my stand before I know they are there
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: can't hear deer
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
One word:  Audiologist.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
What?

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Welcome to the club!!!!! I have worked for the RailRoad for 22 years and being around the diesel engines my ears are SHOT!!!!!

I just try to be more aware and rely on my eyes more. Also,if they come in frome behind you and walk under your stand,hopefully they will keep going and give you a quartering away shot in front of you. If this happens ALOT, I would turn your stand 90 degrees to give you a shot in that direction also.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
My hearing is fine, but between all the rain this year and one spot I hunt near a major road I have the same problem.  I think I heard only one deer walking in this year.  Keep those eyes moving.  I stand as much as possible and keep the head turning.  I also try to glass the area now that the trees are bare around here.  That can help get the jump on them coming in.  If I have an area the deer will not come in from I try to have my back that way or back down wind so the most likely approach directions are where I can see the best.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
I hunt with a guy who is deaf and he has great eye sight because of it.did you try those wisper ear things in -abelas?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline gordie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
Raineman....that was good   :biglaugh:

Offline high mountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Youre not the only one.
I considered making a thread about this subject..but Ill just say my piece here.

Im a young man of 35 years old. But years of "He man" syndrome has left me with sub par hearing and terrible tinnitus(constant ringing in my ears, for those who arent familiar with the term)

Its an absolute bane on my existance...and a REAL drag when hunting. I can no longer hear all the little sounds of the forest I use to cherish so much.
A perfectly quiet calm morning on the stand will forever remain nothing but a memory for me. All I can hear now is ringing.Unless something is right on top of me...I dont hear it.

Dont take your hearing for granted, people. All the little things you probably enjoy will be gone forever.
No more soft rain on the roof...a distant bird or barking dog. A distant cruch of a whitetail....the soft babbling of a distant brook...all these things will be gone forever.....only to be replaced by loud ringing.

Protect your hearing folks.
)Please

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
lost 1/2 my hearing playing music for 22yrs,,, mostly from the practice rooms...   but I know its my handicap too but it makes me a more patient and better hunter because I know I won't hear them till they are close so I have to sit there and "NOT MOVE" or I won't get a shot.

I guess its like somethig I never had so i really don't miss it also.

can be done.
"Us vs Them"

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
I also ruined my hearing due the "He man syndrome", I never thought about it that way but you are exactly right high mountain.
 Years ago I could hear a squirrel cutting a hickory nut when I was hunting, now I can't hear one barking unless it's right next to me. I miss hearing the crickets and bugs on a summer night. I haven't heard a deer before I see it for a long time,
 I tell the younger folks to take care of their ears and eyes while they still have something to take care of, but most are like I was and think they're bullet proof,

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
I used to hear deer long before I would see them. I have tinnitus from exposure to loud noises. I haven't heard a deer in 25 years. My neck kills me when I hunt from a stand because I have to continually turn my head slow and far  in all directions to see them before they see me.

If you think deer hunting is tough when you can't hear, try elk hunting. I miss 90% of the fun and opportunities when elk hunting! I tried the Game Ear and that gets annoying after a while. I don't think there is a cure so I just live with it and make the best of it.

Brad you aren't missing anything with those crickets, I hear them all the time with tinnitus. It drives me nuts!

Joeseph welcome to the club and I am sorry you are in it.

Good thing I have a good family and friends, because it gets annoying to people when I continually say huh, what, huh, what did you say. Sometimes they get a kick out of what I thought they said when I repeat it back to them. If I can't see someone's lips I can't hear what they are saying. I wish there was a cure.    

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
rifle fire left me all but deaf! wish hearing protection was stressed when i was younger/ i think todays youth have much better chance of not losing their hearing /
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I USED to be were all you deaf dudes are, at the insistence of my wife I went to the audiologist, got set up with a pair of hearing aids and it's like I'm 18 again,at least in the hearing department.
No more ringing. I can hear the deer walking in the leaves, peepers and frogs in  the springtime, crickets and katydids in late summer, (amazing how loud they sound now, I COULD NOT hear them for years).
I got mine in Feb, and have worn them every day since. I cannot stand not having them in. And, they have a volume control, so I can actually turn them UP when I'm on stand, it's like having superman ears.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Mocsin1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
I feel your pain. I'm deaf in my left ear and have bad hearing in my right. I can't remember the last time I heard a deer walk in. The positive is that I can pick up movement any where around me before most people. My peripheral is way past what alot of my friends have. I guess it is true that when one of the senses fail the body enhances the others. My wife hates the loud TV and having to repeat everything but she still loves me any ways. My friends enjoy it especially doing the I'm moving my mouth like I'm talking but actually not saying anything gag. I don't complain to much though, its nice to roll over on my good ear and go to sleep no matter how loud people snores   :biglaugh:

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
I have had this condition for a long time and didn't think there was a cure. Because of this thread I did more research again and find that today there are treatments for Tinnitus. I am going to the Dr. I can't believe that after all these years I might be able to get rid of this thing and get some hearing back.

Thanks for opening the thread.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I am going to an audiologist myself on Tuesday next week for tinnitus> took my boy to his first concert last fall of a band he loves and protected his hearing but not mine. I had been to 100s of concerts of some real loud stuff and never had a problem before. Pushed my luck too far.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
I work around F-16's and loud is a gross understatement! We are required to wear double hearing protection and I don't know if that is even enough. Once it's gone it's gone for good!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
I lost my hearing in the Corps.I was a gunner on a mortar crew.When I got out the VA offered me a hearing aid, and that's all the compensation they would give.I was 21yo and said no thanks. I have since learned to hear a lot better with the other one.At least my kids can't mumble under their breath and get away with it.But do try the whisper ear's from -abelas.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
I have menieres disease and have lost most of the hearing in my left ear. I can hear fine out of my right. So I hear deer, but have a really hard time figuring which direction they are. very frustrating  :banghead:
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
I had an autoimmune inner ear disease and went totally deaf about 8 years ago.  With the help of immune suppressive medication, I got some back in my left ear.  A real good (ie. expensive) hearing aid helps but I can't hear deer until they are with in 10-15 yards.

I have to continually move my head to search for them and many times been busted due to the movement...BUT after hunting in Montana with Doug & Claudia, we couldn't believe how effective the ghillie suite was to sneak up on deer.  I now wear one with the head bonnet in my tree stand.  That little movement of turning your head doesn't seem to get picked up.  I've had a couple deer sneak up on me and look right through me without being disturbed even at the base of my tree and while hunting on the ground.

Try a Hearing Aid & Ghillie Suite!  You will be surprised...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©