3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quieting a carbon Shrew bow  (Read 691 times)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
Quieting a carbon Shrew bow
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I just purchased a great bow on here. It is a 54" 55# @ 28" Carbon Shrew.  It is a bit heavier and shorter than I am used to shooting. There is a twang when I shoot it. I was wondering how others who own a similar bow quiet theirs. It is an awesome bow. By the way, I am shooting a 825 grain arrow so its not too light an arrow. Also, the brace height is at 7 1/4". Just looking for ideas. Thanks.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quieting a carbon Shrew bow
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Is it the stock string? Also one piece or T/D? Are the nocks loose on the string?
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
It is a bow-bolt take down with a 6 strand D97 string. I put the stock string on and it was noisier. The nocks are loose. The arrow will fall off the string without a tap.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
try playing with the brace height and put on some Hush puppys on the string and move them on the string play around till you find the quietest point
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Carbon backed bows make a noise that sounds like "plonk" to me - I believe it is the nature of the carbon material. If you have a sound that goes "twang" as a descending hum noise, that sounds like a string issue. What are you using for string silencers and where are they placed?

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
That bow is doomed. Just send it to me to hunt whitetails with 'cause our deer around here are deaf from all the traffic noise from the interstate highway! Heck, I will even pay half the shipping costs!

No really, try what tradtusker said about the Hushpuppies. I used them on a very loud recurve and they worked awesomely.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Yes this sound is a twang and vibration caused. I have synthetic yarn silencers (I think its synthetic) at the 1/4 points.  I do have some bowhush or whatever it is called I will try. I also will increase the brace to 7 1/2". I just want to quiet it as much as possible. I am a perfectionist I guess. I know my targets aren't going to jump the string.  They are usually attached to the ground. Actually, half the fun of traditional archery to me is getting things as quiet as possible.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I would definitly either build up the serving with floss or reserve to get a better nock fit. Also make sure the Bow Bolt is fitting tight. No gaps. Also try a nocking point above and below. Be sure your arrows are not to stiff causing them to paradox against the shelf.Bare shaft them if possible. Are uo shooting three under or split finger?
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
I have tried both split and 3 under. The twang I am hearing is caused by vibration in the string\\limbs. I can just pluck the string and I get a twang not a thud like I am used too. I will figure it out. It's just not as quiet as My Samurai was.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I would play with the brace and try cat whiskers.  Those work great for me on LBs.  Those fur silencers work really well with string noise on my curves. They are much better than the yarn silencers.  I have not tried them on the LBs because the cat whiskers work so well, but I would try them on a LB I couldn’t quiet down.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
I would just ask RON

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
try some yarn wrapped around the 4" ends of the string, this helped me a lot on my samurai.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Greg Owen:
[QB] Yes this sound is a twang and vibration caused. I have synthetic yarn silencers (I think its synthetic) at the 1/4 points.
Try some at 1/3 as well.  The 1/4 won't stop the even harmonics cause the 1/4 is the node.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
You will get that twang with the carbon backed bows. With my carbon backed Shrew I went with wool string silencers and it took away most of the noise. I have also used cat whiskers with good results. I'm not sure you will get the bow as quiet as one without carbon. I have also found that the vibration is a higher frequency, probably because of the modulus of the carbon fiber. Short fibers on the silencers seem to work well with the higher frequencies. The noise levels do not seem too high to me once you get the string silencers placed well. Good luck.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
I had a carbon Shrew that sounded different also - definitely a higher pitched sound than I was used to with my glass/wood bows.  Not any louder than them, just a different pitch.  I believe it's just a trait of the carbon.
Support the sport!

Offline NomadArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
The bows I had with carbon limbs were prone to have a higher pitched sound too. One thing that worked for me was serving my silencers on the string so that I could move them as I was shooting the bow. Some bows like the silencers closer to the tips. Good luck on silencing your bow, I prefer I very quiet bow too and always use silencers on my Hill  :)

Ken

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Greg,
I bet if you sent it to me you would never hear another sound out of it!
I imagine it is a great shooter.
I would try Bow Hush and the higher brace.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
It seems to be fine now. I changed to beaver balls or something like that and added a strp on bow quiver. The quiver seems to act as limb vibration damepeners. No more vibrations just a nice low plunk sound now. Thanks for all the ideas!

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Greg,

Your bow quiver must be slid up onto the fadeouts as far as possible.  You do not want it on the working part of the limbs.

I just finished a 58" Super Shrew with foam core, carbon, camphor veneers over the carbon, and thin clear glass over the veneer.  Its 52#@28".  I was shooting some 10gpp arrows and the bow had a litttle noise.  I added some 1/2 size cat whiskers, and its darn near dead quite now.  

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Thanks, thats good info. Now for the big question, is that bow for sale? Sounds great!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©