3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two Weeks in the Swamps (The Horse Creek Hunt)  (Read 670 times)

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
Two Weeks in the Swamps (The Horse Creek Hunt)
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
As the first rays of light reach their hot, sticky fingers across the morning sky, I strain my eyes to try and get a view of the ground some 20 feet below me.  It’s gonna be a while before I can see.  With sweat streaming down my face, I lean my head back against the tree and listen to the constant, annoying drone of swarming mosquitoes.  The heat and humidity of this, the last morning of my hunt, stands in stark contrast to the cool, comfortable temperatures I experienced when I first arrived nearly two weeks ago.  With time to kill, I recount the events of the past 12 days.

Monday, October 19th
Day 1

I got all of my junk together and headed over to Horse Creek WMA around lunch time.  RC wasn’t going to arrive until Tuesday, but I wanted to go ahead and get camp set up, cut some firewood, and do some scouting.  About 45 minutes after I left home, I was there.  I signed in at the kiosk, and drove on down to the campground.  I was the only one there.  I took a quick glance around the campground to make sure there weren’t any deer standing around that needed killing.  Not this time, so I picked a spot to pitch my tent, got it set up, and threw all of my other stuff out.  The weather was cool, and I knew we would need some firewood, so I brought my chainsaw.  I drove around and found a couple of trees near the road to cut.  After sawing and stacking it in the truck, I headed back to camp to unload it.  Once that chore was complete, I changed into my camo, and headed to the swamp.

I decided to head down to the west end, near the duck impoundment, and see how the acorn crop was looking.  With the river rising hard, I also wanted to see how much water was in the swamp.  I walked down close to the gate at the end of the road, and cut over to the grassy road.  As soon as I crossed the grassy road, I spotted a group of pigs down in the bottom.  I had  my treestand on my back in case I found something really hot to climb on, so I slipped it off my shoulders, and unbuckled my butt pack.  The wind was pretty good, so I started closing the distance as quickly as I could.  I had one big open patch of sunlight about 10 yards wide that I had to pass through.  Being up on the hill, I was afraid they would see me so I dropped down and belly crawled through the “spotlight”.   Once I was back in the shadows, I regained my feet.

This was a good group of hogs, maybe 10 or so, and most of them were good size.  I took a line straight toward the middle of the group.  They were feeding to my right, and were getting closer and closer to heavy cover.  I had to move swiftly.  I was working my way toward a large water oak tree, and several large pigs that I wanted to shoot, when I noticed a small boar about 15 yards away.   I figured I had better shoot him rather than taking a chance on him spooking and blowing the whole group out of there.  You know what they say about a boar in the hand being worth more than a boar in the bush.  I watched him feed around for just a few seconds, then suddenly he was broadside at about 12 yards.  I drew my bow just as he walked behind the trunk of a small tree, and just as he cleared it, I shot him low, tight behind the shoulder with a TreeShark.  He let out one short, almost muffled squeal before running all of 3 yards and piling up.  He was stone dead within 15 seconds.  I nocked another arrow, but the rest of the group was a little too boogered and hastily retreated into the clearcut.  

I walked over and found my arrow.  This was a lucky arrow with a lot of mojo, having been through 3 deer and, now, a pig.  I would wash it off when I got back to camp, and it would go back into my quiver.  I looked at the pig and saw that the TreeShark had made about a 3.5” gash upon entry.  I don’t know how, as the pig was broadside at the shot.  I took some pictures, did my show and tell, and field quartered him.  It was nice and cool, so I knew the meat would be fine.  It was 3:30, so I decided to go ahead and make a quick loop through the swamp and check some trees.  

I had intentions of coming back and hunting another spot near camp that afternoon, but it took longer to circle through the swamp than I expected.  I ended up climbing about 100 yards from where I killed the pig, over a red oak that was showing some sign.  There were also 3 big chestnuts within shooting distance of the red oak, and they were just starting to drop.  At 6:25, I saw a big boar moving through about 60 yards out.  I got a little video of him before he got downwind of me and spooked.  I sat until dark, but nothing else happened.  There was decent sign here, and it was sort of a funnel type area, so I decided to hunt here again in the morning.

VIDEO:    

Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two Weeks in the Swamps (The Horse Creek Hunt)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Nice!!!

Can't wait for the rest now.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Tuesday, October 20th
Day 2

Morning:
  The weather was perfect, in the low 40’s and clear.  The walk in was just a little over a mile.  I packed my extra clothes so as not to work up a sweat, and walked in wearing just a t-shirt and pants.  The first 5 minutes of the hike I almost froze to death, and by the end I had almost broke out in a sweat.  I waited until I cooled down to slip into my wool jacket and pants, and then settled back and waited on daylight.  It was one of those perfect mornings where you expect to get covered up, but I sat until 10:00 and didn’t see any deer or hogs.  I did have a pair of wood ducks come up the slough next to me at 7:50, and I got a little video of them.  Then I got a glimpse of a hen turkey at 8:00.

Here’s a little video of the boar from yesterday afternoon (you‘ll hear a gunshot at the beginning), and the wood ducks from this morning.  I also threw in a little footage of a squirrel.  It’s nothing special, so don’t pull your hair out trying to get it to download.

VIDEO:  

Midday:   After climbing down, I returned to camp and grabbed something to eat.  I expected RC to be there by then, but he wasn’t.  I decided to go ahead and hit the swamp and walk hard until I found something.  On the way, I stopped by Warren’s water oak to check it out.  The acorns were dropping and there was a little feed sign, but what caught my attention were the two fresh scrapes.  They looked to have been hit within the last 24 hours for sure.

I drove on down to the spot we call the sawhorse, and struck out through the swamp.  I remembered a swamp chestnut that was dropping early last year and I wanted to check it.  It wasn’t doing anything, but I found a white oak nearby that looked pretty good.  Mentally, I marked it down as a place to hunt and then continued searching for something else.  I made a BIG loop and checked tree after tree, without any luck.  I jumped a spike buck on a small island around 12:00.  I circled back out of the swamp, checked some spots up on the hill, and then dropped back down in the swamp again.  I finally found a water oak that wasn’t hot, but it looked way better than anything else I had come across.  I took a compass bearing back to the road, and returned to the truck with intentions of returning for the afternoon hunt.  I passed RC on the way back to camp and I told him what I had found. We talked for a minute, and he headed on down to the swamp to do some scouting of his own.  I headed on back to camp to rest a bit. Counting the 2 miles I had walked on the morning's hunt, and the scouting, I had covered 6 miles today.

Afternoon:   I got back to the water oak around 5:00.  I had a good wind, and really expected to see something.  I sat until dark-thirty without any action.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:53:00 AM »
Congratulations on the pig!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
Great story so far Chris. 2 weeks! Man, that's got to be something else. As always with your shootin, the animals don't stand a chance if you're in range. Looking forward to reading the rest of it.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
Wednesday, October 21st
 Day 3

Morning:   I left my stand in the tree yesterday afternoon, and returned to hunt it this morning.  I always like to give a spot a morning and an evening just because I’ve seen places that were hot for one time period, but pretty much dead for the other.  At 8:00, I heard what sounded like someone throwing a bowling ball in the slough about 150 yards behind me.  At first I thought a limb or something had fallen, but a couple of seconds later I heard the splashing sound of either a group of deer or hogs crossing the slough.  I kept a close watch back that way, but didn’t catch a glimpse of anything.  About 5 minutes later, I heard a single animal cross in about the same place, and the first thought that came to my mind was a buck following does.  I sat with high hopes, but nothing else happened for the rest of the morning.  When I climbed down, I followed the edge of the slough back toward where I had heard the commotion, but couldn’t see a well defined crossing.  I looped back toward the truck checking every chestnut I could find, but none were dropping yet.

Midday:   Went with RC scouting during the middle of the day, and we found several promising spots.  

Afternoon:   Just before time to head out, we were trying to decide where to hunt.  I told Robert to pick where he wanted to hunt, and I would choose from what was left.  He was trying to decide between Warren’s water oak, and a good looking water oak he had found in a bottom near the duck impoundment.  He finally decided to head to the impoundment, so I chose to hunt Warren’s oak.

When I got there, I had a hard time deciding which tree to climb.  The wind had my choices narrowed down to 3 trees which were pretty much in a line.  The front tree wouldn’t provide me with enough cover, but I would have plenty of shots.  The back tree was a double trunk, and would have the best cover, but I wouldn’t be able to shoot through all the limbs on the other two trees.  I settled on the middle tree and drilled my holes.  It would give me some cover, and I would have a couple of good places to shoot.  I had to let cover determine how high to climb.  I couldn’t have been over 14 ft. high.  I got settled in around 5:30.  The wind remained fairly consistent all afternoon.  When it started getting late, something told me I needed to go ahead and stand up.  Just as soon as I got to my feet, I was scanning to my left when I caught a glimpse of a tail flicker about 40 yards out.  I was afraid it may have seen me, so I froze and waited on it to move.  It began easing toward me, and in just a minute I could tell that it was a spike.  I turned on the camera and got into position to shoot.  He worked his way toward me, and eventually made it to the scrape that was about 10 yards away.  I saw my opportunity, so I drew my bow and picked my spot.  I watched the feathers disappear into his side, and he tore out low to the ground and ran hard.  I heard him go down.  I glanced at my watch and it was 6:54.  I decided to sit until dark just in case another deer decided to show up.  Nothing else happened, so I climbed down and took up the bloodtrail.  It was a pretty good one, so I decided to go back to see if Robert wanted to look at it.  When I got there, Lance had made it into camp.  We met and shook hands, and then all 3 of us went back to get the buck.  I had already found the deer, but we re-trailed him so they could see all the blood.  In spots it was over waist high and probably 4 ft. wide.  He had gone about 75 yards before piling up, and fell about 5 yards off the road.  We took some pics and video, and then loaded him on the truck.  I didn’t want to stink this place up so, back in camp, I quartered him on the tailgate and then hauled the carcass off.

VIDEO:  

Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Thursday, October 22nd
 Day 4

Morning:   I had decided to hunt over a good looking water oak tree that RC and I had found, near the NW corner of the WMA, while scouting  yesterday.  I slipped in, drilled my holes with my Woodpecker drill, and hung my stand before daylight.  I had built up some heat while climbing, so I sat in just a t-shirt until I cooled down.  There was still a bit of a nip in the air, and at 7:45 I began to get chilly.  I eased up, and turned around to get my jacket out of my pack.  I put it on slowly, and then glanced around to make sure there weren’t any critters around before I sat back down.  When I looked behind my tree, I saw what looked like part of a deer about 35 yards out.  I watched it for probably close to a minute before I ever saw it move.  It was a big doe.  The way she was pointed wouldn’t bring her in close enough for a shot, but I hoped she would circle in to the feed tree.  There had been a heavy fog during the night, and water was dripping from the trees.  Everything was wet.  While I’m standing there looking over my shoulder at her, I hear a slight crunch of leaves, and glance down to see a yearling walking by me at 5 yards, directly behind my tree.  I quickly turn the camera on, and get turned around just in case I get presented with a shot.  I’m up a double trunked sweetgum tree, and can’t shoot until they clear the trunk that’s on my right.  As I’m watching this one walk by, another yearling follows in line behind it.  Just as it hits the opening where I can shoot, it runs on up to where the first yearling is.  I look back to the doe just to keep tabs on her, when I hear, and glance down to see yet another yearling following in line.  This one doesn’t run, but stops perfectly in the opening at 8 yards, quartering away just slightly.  I raise my arm to take the shot, but can’t get my bow around far enough to get on the deer.  The hood of my bow quiver is hitting the trunk of the tree!  I try my best to make it work, but it’s just no use.  About that time, one of the first yearlings gets my wind, and the whole group trots off.

VIDEO:    

Midday:   RC and Lance headed out to check some places, so I figured I may as well do some scouting too.  I stopped and walked out several places up on the hill, but finally ended up back down in the swamp with the intention of checking just as many swamp chestnuts and white oaks as I possibly could before time to hunt.  I had covered a lot of ground when suddenly I came across a group of pigs.  The wind was swirling bad.  I picked out the closest one, which just happened to be a boar, and he looked to be about 70 lbs.  He was moving to my left and I moved to cut him off.  He walked in front of a blowdown tree, and I thought that I had him cornered.  I got about 15 yards from the tree, but couldn’t see him.  I waited for him to move, and the next thing I know I see the palmettos shaking on the other side of the log.  He had found a place where he could crawl under the log, and had gotten away.  I looked back to my right and saw several more pigs.  I started toward them.  One by one, they were moving to my left toward where the boar had went.  I tried to hurry up and close the distance.  One pig got by me, then another.  Just before the next pig got even with me, I felt the wind shift and hit me on the right side of my neck.  It was now blowing directly toward the boar.  I knew everything was about to unravel.  When the next pig walked broadside into an opening at what looked like about 25 yards, I took the shot and watched my arrow sail right under its chest.  Pigs exploded in every direction.  I quickly nocked another arrow.  Two pigs circled around to my left and stopped in an opening at what looked like about 30 yards.  I thought about what Mr. John Bookhardt says, “Ain’t nothing’ dyin’ if the arrows ain’t flyin’!”, so I reached anchor again and cut another one loose.  It was like an instant replay, with the arrow passing just under the pigs chest.  This time they were gone for good, so I walked over, picked up my arrows, and continued on with my scouting.  Before I was done, I had probably checked somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 different trees, and none of them were showing any feed sign.  Finally, I walked up on a swamp chestnut that looked decent.  It was right on the edge of the outside slough, and was about 8 ft. from the edge of the rising water.  I figured I had a couple of days before the water would be up to the base of it.  I mentally marked it, and headed back to camp.

Afternoon:   I went back to where I had hunted this morning.  Shortly after I got settled in, I saw two turkeys pass through about 50-60 yards away.  Later on, just as it’s starting to get into gray light, I hear every squirrel in the branch start screaming bloody murder, and see the biggest bobcat I’ve ever seen moving up through the branch.  I couldn’t get the camera turned on quick enough to get any footage.  Right at dark, I had at least 3 deer come in and trap me up the tree.  I couldn’t see well enough to shoot, but I could hear them crunching acorns.  They weren’t feeding on the tree I was set up on, but on another water oak that was about 25 yards away.  I stayed up in the tree until I heard them leave, and then slipped out.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Home many truckloads of ice do you guys need for a 2 week hunt. or do ya bring a freezer and generator??  :notworthy:

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
Friday, October 23rd
 Day 5

Morning:   I return to the same place I hunted yesterday afternoon, but this time I climb a different tree that allows me to shoot to both the tree I was hunting over originally, and the tree that appears to now be the primary feed tree.  I get settled in, and have a hard time keeping my eyes open.  We stayed up late the night before shooting the bull over the campfire, and now it’s telling on me.  I’m sitting there with my head leaning back against the tree when I hear a crunch-crunch of leaves behind me, and very close.  I slowly swivel my head around to glance over my shoulder.  I immediately see a deer out of the corner of my eye, not 5 yards away.  It’s heading toward the primary tree.  It’s right at first light, 7:30, and I can barely make out the spikes on top of his head.  He eases into the tree and picks up an acorn or two, and then moves on away like he’s got somewhere to be.  I got a little video of him, but it didn’t turn out well enough to post because it was very low light.

Nothing else happens for the next hour and a half, but at 9:05, a group of pigs comes in out of the pine thicket behind me.  I get stood up and get the camera rolling.  They come directly in to the water oak and start vacuuming up the acorns.  I single out the biggest one in the group as the target.  They’re constantly moving.  I get a clear broadside shot at the hog, and begin to draw my bow.  Before I can reach anchor, it turns quartering towards me.  I let back down and look for another opportunity.  It finally gets broadside again, and this time I reach anchor.  I burn a hole low in the pigs side just behind the leg, and the arrow is gone.  The shot felt perfect, my arrow flight looked perfect, but the hit wasn’t.  At 8 yards, I managed to miss what I was looking at by a good 6 inches!  I had to shoot through a softball sized hole in some limbs, and want to blame it on clipping a branch, but I didn’t see it happen.  I’m still clueless as to what happened.  The arrow impacted in front of the point of the shoulder, up in the neck.  The pig ran hard for about 25 yards until the arrow fell out, and then stopped.  It stood there for a few seconds trying to figure out what had happened, and then trotted off like it was just spooked.  I knew it was a non-fatal hit, but I got down and followed the bloodtrail until it tapered off to nothing about 75 yards out.  It’ll live.

(NOTE:  After reviewing the video in slow motion, it appears I may have clipped a limb.  Y’all look at it and tell me what you think.)

This would have been some good video if there had been a dead pig at the end of the trail.  Listen closely and you can hear them busting and popping acorns.

VIDEO:    

Afternoon:   I returned to the same spot for the evening hunt, but only see one turkey pass through on the way to roost.  This place needs to rest for a couple of days.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Congrats on the pig and deer! Great shooting too!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
Congrats Chris!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Good job Chris.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I've been waiting for this thread.  I enjoyed my brief visit with you and RC, hope to return soon.  Congratulations on the kills.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Saturday, October 24th
 Day 6

Morning:   I decide to head to the chestnut that I had found earlier and see what happens.  I drive to my parking spot, get all my gear ready, and start what would be just shy of a 1.5 mile walk in.  I get about a half mile into my walk when it starts to rain.  Me being colorblind, it wasn’t hard to decide to turn around and head back to the truck.  I got soaked before I could make it back.

Midday:   I drive back home during the day to wash all of my hunting clothes as I’m down to one clean set.  As soon as I get them done, I’m back on the road to Horse Creek.

Afternoon:   I think over the options, and settle on hunting the water oak bottom near the duck impoundment.  Robert had found a hot tree in here earlier in the week, and had tried to explain to me where it was.  When I got there, I tried to let the sign on the ground tell me if I was in the right spot, but the rain from this morning had everything muted.  I walked around and around for about 10 minutes before I could decide which tree to hunt over, and then picked a suitable tree to climb.  I used my hooks, and was about 20-22 ft. up the sweetgum tree in no time.  I hung my stand and got settled in.  Right at dark, a deer came in from my right towards the grassy road.  It fed for a while under a water oak that was about 20 yards off to my right.  Once or twice, I had the deer at about 16-17 yards, but never had a clear shot.  It started feeding on out toward the middle of the bottom, and was about to step into the open at about 15 yards, when all of a sudden it turned around and went back under the oak.  I listened to the crunch-crunch-crunch of the water oak acorns for a solid 5 minutes.  Darkness was quickly swallowing the deer up, and I could just make out where the front leg was when it cleared the limbs that had been blocking my shot.  I drew, and picked a spot as best I could before sending the arrow on its way.  I never saw the path of its flight, but feel pretty sure I missed low.  It was probably close to a 25 yard shot.  The deer hopped off about 15 yards, stood around for a minute or two, and then I heard the crunch-crunch as it went back to feeding.  I waited until I couldn’t hear it anymore, and then climbed down and slipped out.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Great stuff!    :thumbsup:   Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure with us. I am enjoying this.    :campfire:   Congratulations on the pig  :clapper:     and buck!  :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Chris, Great storytelling, I am enjoying it immensely, especially since I was supposed to be there as I bought the hunt at St Judes. Couldn't make it work because of my mom. Keep up the story
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
Sunday, October 25th
 Day 7

Morning:   I still wanted to hunt the chestnut that I had headed to yesterday morning.  While I was home yesterday, I had checked Google Earth (I use GE a lot for my hunting, it’s a great tool) and found another route that would knock off about a half mile of walking.  It had been 1.48 miles and would now be .88 miles.  Over a mile less walking round trip.  I got in there well before daylight.  I checked under the chestnut with my flashlight, and it didn’t look nearly as good as it had a few days ago.  I picked out a hickory tree, and walked up it with my hooks.  I sat in the dark for quite a while before it started getting light enough to see.  Nothing was happening.  The woods seemed dead.  I never heard a swamp chestnut acorn fall all morning.  Sometime around 8:30, I glanced over my shoulder back toward the grassy road and saw a deer about 60 yards out.  It wasn’t headed in my direction, so I wasn’t too excited.  All of a sudden, it turned and started straight for me.  My heart rate doubled in the span of a single breath.  I just knew that it was coming to the chestnut.  I was standing with my bow in my hand, looking behind the tree I was up, trying to see which side the deer was going to pass on.  It was coming so straight toward me that I couldn’t tell.  Finally, when it got to about 20 yards, it veered enough for me to see that it was going to pass on my left.  Naturally, I was facing to my right and would have to turn all the way around.  As I was half way through my turn, I reached down and turned the camera on and hit record.  I tried to get it on the deer, but it was coming so fast that I couldn’t find it on the screen.  I glanced from the camera to the deer, and saw that it was now about 5 yards away.  Still coming.  When its nose was about 18 inches from the trunk of my tree, it apparently got a whiff of where I had climbed, and turned inside out.  I forgot all about the camera, and drew my bow as it hopped off.  It only made a couple of bounds before stopping, quartering away sharply, at 10 yards.  I picked a spot and dropped the string.  The feathers disappeared into the deer in a flash, and I immediately thought I had hit it too far back.  It looked like it had gone in about 4 inches in front of the ham.  I could only hope it had come out through the liver.  I watched it run off, and expected to see it stop, hunch its back, and walk off, but it never did.  It did pause for a second about 80 yards out, then it continued on off at a trot.  I marked the last spot I saw it, and dug my compass out of my left cargo pocket and took a bearing.  I had lost sight of it about 120 yards out.  

It was 8:38.  I sat for a while thinking things over, and decided to climb down and see what clues I could procure from the arrow.  There was very little blood on the shaft.  I was surprised there was any.  The feathers were dry, almost clean looking.  There was no odor.  The first thing I thought was a high gut hit.  I hoped I had got a kidney.  The lack of blood on the arrow pretty much dashed my hopes for a liver hit.  I decided to cut a wide circle around where the deer had gone, and try to slip out without disturbing it.  I would talk it over with Robert and Lance and see what they thought.  I wanted to give the deer plenty of time.  When I told them what had happened, and showed them my arrow, we decided to wait until lunch and head back to take up the trail.  

We headed back to the swamp around noon.  Robert wanted to loop in to my stand and check some spots on the way.  We dropped off a narrow ridge and into a bottom, and immediately got into a group of pigs.  Robert let Lance take the lead, and I would be videographer.  Lance worked his way in to about 12 yards of a pig, but it never would give him an angle for a shot.  They finally spooked, and when they stopped at about 25 yards, Lance took a quick shot, but the pig was long gone before the arrow got there.  

We moved up the branch a little further, and found a swamp chestnut dropping and showing a good bit of sign.  Robert marked the tree with a piece of flagging tape he had pulled down on the walk in.  We then headed down to, and across the grassy road.  We didn’t go far before we found a red oak tree that was on fire.  It would be hard to sit over this tree without seeing something.  We then went back to the grassy road, and headed toward my tree.  We hadn’t gone far when Lance spotted a pig ear sticking up from the grass in the middle of the road.  It was bedded down.  Once again, he stalked and I videoed.  Just before he got close enough for a shot, the pig got up and went into the woods a little piece and bedded back down.  Lance eased on up, got into position, and made a good shot.  After a few pictures, Robert and I left him with my ALICE pack to do his field quartering, and headed on over to start looking for my deer.  

When we got there, I showed Robert where the deer had been standing at the shot.  He told me to take my compass bearing, and he would walk out and I could keep him on line with arm signals.  While I was waiting for the compass to settle down, he said he had found blood, and it was good blood.  We followed the bloodtrail.  There was good, steady blood all the way to, and across, the grassy road.  About that time, Lance caught back up with us.  We were expecting the deer to bed down in the first thick cover we came to, but it never did.  It just kept going and going.  We trailed it through some thick stuff which finally opened up into a bottom.  As we were trailing through the bottom, Robert looked ahead and saw the swamp chestnut that he had flagged earlier.  The bloodtrail passed within 5 yards of the flagging tape!  We had walked all over the blood earlier, and just failed to see it.  It went on across the bottom, into another thicket, and back into another bottom.  We found a bed in this bottom, but it had gotten back up and crossed the little creek, and was now headed up toward another thicket near where I had parked my truck this morning.  The bloodtrail actually passed within 50 yards of where I had parked.  We were on hands and knees several times as the trail crossed pine straw and other tough spots.  At one point, we lost the blood, so Robert circled ahead and found blood coming out of a thicket about 50 yards away.  It was like he knew what the animal was thinking.

We started getting into some very wet blood.  Earlier, we had heard a squirrel barking, and Robert said he thought we may have pushed her.  It looked like he was right.  We stopped for a minute to think things through.  Robert said that we could back out and wait until morning, but the dew would all but erase any trace of the bloodtrail.  He thought we would have better luck if we kept pushing her.  He said if we could get close to the deer, and get it surrounded, we would get her for sure.  We followed the trail for another 30 yards and found a blood clot the size of your fist.  Another 25 yards, and we heard the deer explode through the brush just ahead of us.  It didn’t sound like it went but just a little piece before it stopped.  Robert told us to flank out ahead to the left and right, and he would stay on the blood and push up the middle.  Lance went left, and I went right, which brought me back into an open bottom.  After we had advanced about 50 yards, I heard Robert say we should be getting real close to her(at that time, he had just found an awful amount of blood).  About that time, I saw a deer run into the bottom, and straight away from me.  I lost sight of it about 100 yards out.  I yelled to Lance and told him I had seen a deer, but wasn’t sure it was mine because it was running too good.  He cut over to me, and immediately cut a great bloodtrail, so there was no doubt it was my deer.  When I had last seen it, it was moving slightly to my left back toward the thicket.  I figured she’d head in there and bed back down.  Robert went on up ahead to try and cut her off before she could break out of the thicket.  Lance and I were moving along trailing the blood, when suddenly I heard Lance say, “Chris, do you want to shoot your deer?  Shoot her, shoot her now!”  I looked up and couldn’t believe my eyes.  She was lying there in the wide open bottom, not 10 yards away from us, glaring back at us over her shoulder.  I started drawing my bow, and couldn’t believe I was seeing a hole in her right behind the shoulder!!  I shot her again, and actually hit the same hole!  She exploded out of her bed so fast that neither I nor Lance can remember her getting up.  She went about 25 more yards before going down for good.

In all my years of bowhunting, my eyes have never lied to me about the location of the hit.  I had never misjudged where I had hit a deer so badly.  Maybe a few inches, but not this much.  I had hit her right behind the shoulder, but with the hard angle, had only gotten one lung.  The arrow had come out through the center of the brisket.  My second shot had been at 5:35, nearly 9 hours since my first.

This was the most impressive bloodtrailing job I have ever seen.  I later measured the bloodtrail on Google Earth at just over 2000 yards!!!  I had used up all my tape videoing Lance killing his pig, and didn’t get to do show and tell.  I had extra tapes in my tent back in camp, bud didn’t have one in my pack!  I got a still picture, and then field quartered her and packed her out.

(The video ain’t much, but the audio is pretty good.  Listen close and you can hear her walking right from the start of the video.)

VIDEO:    

Afternoon:   We all missed the afternoon hunt, but agreed that it was worth it.  This was a special day, and a bloodtrail we‘ll never forget!
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Monday, October 26th
 Day 8

Morning:  I headed back to the hot water oak where I had seen the spike buck, and made the poor shot on the pig last Friday morning.  At 8:00, I saw a deer moving through about 50 yards away.  I noticed that it kept putting its head down ever so often, and thought that it may be a buck.  Just as soon as he got out of sight, I reached into my pack and grabbed my rattling antlers, a set of horns off of a McKenzie 3D Deer, and slammed them together.  I hadn’t rattled for more than 10 seconds when I caught movement, and saw the deer coming back to me.  It happened so fast, I couldn’t hang the antlers up, but had to lay them in the seat of my stand.  I picked up my bow and turned and got ready.  I couldn’t tell what it was until it got in to around 25 yards.  It cleared some brush, and I could tell it was a spike buck, probably the same one I had seen on Friday.   He stopped and scanned the area for several minutes before turning and leaving.   I watched him walk away, and tried to film him a little, but he was moving at a steady pace and I had trouble keeping the camera on him.

Afternoon:    Robert, Lance and I decided to hunt close together this evening.  Robert was headed to the hot red oak we had found, Lance went to the chestnut my deer had bled under, and I hunted in the water oak bottom where I had missed the deer Saturday afternoon.  The deer must not have moved much this afternoon because we were all sitting on pretty good spots, and nothing was seen.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Congratulations on the two deer!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©