3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Broadhead Sharpening Question?  (Read 251 times)

Offline NY Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Broadhead Sharpening Question?
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I need some helpful tips for sharpening my magnus 2-blade 125 grain broadheads.  My sharpening system is the made by Lansky.  I know that there was a tutorial done a while back using this sharpening system, but I am still having trouble getting the blades to shave hair.  Should you sharpen the broadheads from back to tip or tip to back?  Does the direction matter?  Should I use the 25 deg angle suggested in the tutorial or us a less acute angle?

Thanks
Good hunting ethics will keep us all hunting.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Broadhead Sharpening Question?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
I am not sure if it matters, but I prefer to work from tip to back.  the last few strokes are full length swipes.  As to the angle, 25 is a great option.  You have to keep in mind, flatter is a fine edge (sublect to possible rolling), and steeper is stronger, but not as "sharp".  Think of it as a comparison between a scalpel and a box cutter.  You want the best of both worlds, so inbetween is the choice.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
I push the stone into the blade with lite preasure till I feel the burr on the opposite side.Flip and do the same thing than go to next finer stone.After the last stone(your finest) again with lite preasure I put either a pc of deer leather or cardboard either shirt box type or a vanala folder strip and polish the edge by pulling the burr or whats left of it forward.Ya can't push this into the edge ya hafta pull it but it does an awesome job for a final strop

good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
I made this video of how I use a Lansky. It's on the bottom pf page one.  Hope it helps.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077227#000000
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©