3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Interesting Find...WOW  (Read 402 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Interesting Find...WOW
« on: November 12, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Well I usually don't hit the yard sales especially during the rut, but something caught my eye as I was driving by one the weekend. Camo! There were some hunting items for sale but mainly junk. I enquired about archery gear and the nice elderly lady said "Shoot you just missed a bow I sold for 10 bucks" Yikes. Missed it. But she said there was an old quiver and arrows left behind. I jumped outa my skin when I saw it. I paid the kind lady 5 bucks for my wares and felt a little guilty. Now what do I have here....

Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Interesting Find...WOW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
A few wooden arrows with about four of those very cool looking broadheads. I asked the lady while I was there where they came from and she said her husband had hunted with bow and arrow in the 50's through the 70's but passed away last year. Here's one of the heads:

Mike Davenport

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Any markings?  Looks well made by what little stitching I can see at the bottom.  That is, looks factory made and not hand stitched.  What are the dimensions?  Got any more pictures?  Is it just a belt quiver or is there more strap hidden?

Either way, great find for $5!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Dave will get back to that in a minute. Is a back quiver I believe. Here's some more stuff:

Looking throught the quiver I found an old arm guard, three finger glove, and this weird looking arrow wrapped in an old piece of plastic.

Mike Davenport

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
THE HEAD LOOKS LIKE THE ONES I HAVE ON SOME ARROWS I HAVE. THE BOX IS LABELED INDIAN ARCHERY. I CAN CHECK THE LABEL FOR MORE INFO FOR YOU. SOMEONE GAVE ME THIS BOX WHEN THEY FOUND OUT I DID IT THE "OLD FASHIONED WAY".
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
I was in awe! I carefully unwrapped the old arrow. This was not from the 50's I don't think. I am still unsure what kind it is. Looking though a book I have it resembles a the turkey fletching of a Cherokee arrow complete with a little dried blood. It is not a straight arrow, and I have to admit I am paranoid that I will damage this arrow. It is awesome!

Mike Davenport

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Looks like an old Hilbre (sp?) broadhead. I have a few somewhere around the house.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Yep!  That's a Hilbre.  The blade will pull out of the nylon Ferrel and a bleeder will fit in the slot on the nylon.  Then it's called a "Super Hilbre".  I used these heads in the 60's for deer but you will find that the unsupported tip will curl too easily for it to be a really good head.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Well I will keep the quiver as I need one for my longbow. I took a foam replacement I got from 3 Rivers and put down inside of the quiver and it worked perfect. Now about the turkey fletched arrow.... I gotta find somebody to take this arrow and look at it. I am going to start at SIU down here in Illinois. As for the old broadheads. They will eventually find their way on an arrow and through some beast. Wish I had the story behind this whole quiver and arrows. I will make up my own, add to it hopefully with some dead critters. Here's the old quiver given new life and hopefully some MOJO for the hunter:

Mike Davenport

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Very cool find! Especially the turkey fletched arrow!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Ya know, that arrow almost looks like it's not turkey fletch.  Awfully dark and kinda soft looking but I'm wondering if maybe it's not some type of owl or hawk.  The nock area does look like pictures I've seen of Indian arrows with the shallow nock grooves for a pinch grip.  Is that wrapped with real sinew or is it thread?

If it's real sinew, you might have something original but if it's thread, it's probably something someone made a long time ago to duplicate an Indian arrow.  Either way, pretty cool.  I bet you could straighten it pretty easy too.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Bet the arrow is from an early in his career kill and e kept it with him for mojo. Very cool find.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
Michel, you should check with the dnr here in il. about the hilbre head, it could be illegal with the plastic ferrel, i think the law is " all medal heads" i could be wrong,

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Thanks Shaftslinger didn't even think about that! I believe it is real sinew on that old arrow. I am going to let someone check it out that is an Indian artifact nut. If it is I am going to find a better place for it than in my hands for sure!
Mike Davenport

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 02:12:00 AM »
"  I am going to let someone check it out that is an Indian artifact nut. If it is I am going to find a better place for it than in my hands for sure!  "

Can you say "St. Jude's Auction"?????
Dave

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 03:11:00 AM »
Nice find!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©