3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3d target distances  (Read 318 times)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
3d target distances
« on: November 12, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
A question for some of you 3d shooters from around the country and particularly out west. What do you think the average target distances are? On the courses I've shot here in LA. I would think around 20 yards and earlier this year I was able to shoot a couple in IL. and thought the distances were a bit further, how about you other guys?

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3d target distances
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Most of the ranges I have shot that are set up for Traditional have the targets places at 15-25 yards.  Some have them a little farther but I would say this is pretty much the norm.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Yep, 15-25 with the occasional 30 yarder thrown in just to seperate the men from the boys.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
since 95% of deer are taken at under 25 yards, most of the clubs keep the targets at under 25 yards....I think in the west or mid west they go out to about 40 yards...since the lack of tree and heavy brush like in the eastern woods...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Jim, Lots of clubs have a larger group of compound shooters than trad guys. This influences how they set their ranges depending on who (compound vs trad guy sets up). I like to have targets placed at distances that correspond with the size of the target. I kinda break it down like small, med, and large to close, average and max. More exact I would place say a Ground hog type critter at 10-12 yards with maybe a little junk to shoot through for fun if it is at the closer side of the distance. Med deer size or bears from 15-20 and then the larger targets like elk or the Bigger deer (Mule deer or Rinehart Big 10 type) targets from 22-28 yards. If we have junk to shoot through you shorten the shot as a general rule. A clear shot can be stretched out distance wise. I prefer a tricky shorter shot personally with either junk or terrain changes to challenge me. In doing that if I can duplicate a hunting setup/shot I love to do that. I am no real fan of the long range shoot down an alley, flat course you often see. Of course a club has to work with what they have and often the guys that setup may not consider our preferences. I rarely say anything negative (drives my wife crazy, yes she shoots to) if a course is not set to my pref. I just figure everyone who competes has the same shot so it is fair. If all I wanted was fun I would move up, but keep in line with the planned shot angle so as to keep it a safe shot/course for all.

My 2 cents
Bill
Aim Small

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
For the most part out West the shoots that I have shot at range from 10 to 60 yards most being between 25 and 35 yards, now at a all trad shoot they are a little closer, but not much. The clubs that put the shoots on aren't thinking about hunting distance always, but scores and making there targets last longer. If you go to a shoot and want to shoot real type hunting distances then you shoot the ones you want, no big deal. ( Iv'e been shooting 3-D shoots for 20 years here in the southwest)    :archer:
Larry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©