3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Abowyer's came in....is this good enough?  (Read 714 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Abowyer's came in....is this good enough?
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Tuning arrows has been one of the most frustrating parts of traditional for me.

This combinations of arrow and bow should not be right according to Stu Miller's calculator? I am shooting a 53@28 R/D center-cut Longbow 58" I shoot 27@50... The arrows in the pictures are GT trads 5575 29.25" with 344 grs of insert, footing material and field tip with Truflight 4" Shield cut Feathers. This combination was arrived at with a whole lot of shooting, tip wt changes and cutting.

I can repeat this over and over at 18 yards.

Is this good enough?

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Abowyer's came in....is this good enough?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
Looks pretty good to me. Now put same weight broadheads on and tune fletched field tip arrows with fletched broadhead tipped arrows and your good to go. If your are a little lucky your spot on with tune and no further adjustments would be needed with broadheads.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
No No Ryan the group is down in the corner, not in the center.   :smileystooges:
I know the trials and error's and frustration at times bare shaft tuning. Kinda makes ya feel like    :knothead:

Good luck hunting   :campfire:

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
one question,were you shooting at the black dot at the lower right of the target,if so & you are a right handed shooter then to me it looks like you are grouping a little stiff,JMO.

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
I was told you want the bareshafts slightly weak, fletching will stiffen them a tad.

If you back up to 25-30yards make the results easier to read.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I've got to agree with kevgsp, backing up to 30-40 yards will give you a better idea of where you're actually at. Also looks like your nock may be set just a bit high.
Craig

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
I can't shoot any further than this at home. I'm going to the range in the morning and I can shoot longer.
The dot I was shooting at is just hi right of the bare shaft and has a fletched arrow in it.
Horman your right felt like a dunce with this tuning thing.

Thank you
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
You look pretty good to go to me. Just need the right broadhead to fly the same.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Vermontster is right...fletch up 3 more and shoot groups with the 3 BH and 3 FTips.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
I have some Abowyer Brown Bears and 125 grain steel adapters coming. I'll see how they group?

Thank you

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 03:04:00 AM »
Hell, if I could put three arrows in the target over and over at 18 yards with the fletching touching, I'd be ecstatic!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
turkeyslayer, when you're tuning and setting up a bow it doesn't matter where the shots are grouping, as long as the bareshafts or broadheads and fletched arrows are grouping together.  THAT indicates they are set up properly.  Adjusting how you "aim" (regardless of your method) is all in your head.  I can get horribly tuned arrows to group in the bull, but the bareshafts ain't gonna group with the fletched.

coaster, looks pretty good to me!  I normally go for a tad weaker shaft, but like others have said, back up or put some broadheads on to see where you really are.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I think you are golden!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Nosight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
AS said above you are on the right track..

Now its to the range and going out to 30 to 40 yrards and get the same results.

But it is IMHO "you be rocken dude" as my youngest would say...

Later........Buzz
Remember...aim small miss small...

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Thanks all....I think I'm due for a new target. I have to shoot at the corners or the arrows go thru a hit the block wall behind  :(

Having coffee now getting ready for work. I'm on the late shift so I have time for the range this morning. I'll see what distance does to the group???

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Shoot in a distance that you normally can get decent groups in. Shooting at 40 yards only tells you something if you can shoot well at 40 yards.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hkmp5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Hello Coaster,
I agree with the guys that you are right on track and real close.  If anything I would say you are still slightly stiff.  I like the bare shaft to fall slightly right of the fletched shafts.  
Regarding the calcualtor, remember to subtract the footed length from the overall BOP arrow length....in essence the footing takes away the length that is available for bending during firing.  I am always looking for more data to improve the calculator so If you get time re-run the numbers and share them with me I would greatly appreciate it!
-Stu

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
I wouldn't change anything.(unless your shooting in the Olympics.lol) Sometimes we try to make a simple sport tooooooo complicated. As David said, put them BH in groups like that and your in there.
I also agree about the distance. If one doesn't shoot at 40 yards then why try to get a read at that distance. Keep doing what your doing.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
"remember to subtract the footed length from the overall BOP arrow length....in essence the footing takes away the length that is available for bending during firing."

Stu I missed that....I'll run the numbers again and see. The footing is about 1 inch long.

Thanks

I think shooting longer than 30 yards is out of my skill level. I wear tri-focals  :(  These old eyes are not what they used to be.
I was shooting at the range this morning and out to 30 yds the results were pretty much the same except that the groups opened up a bit. The bare shaft was much straighter and parallel to the fletched shafts. I had slight gusts of wind to deal with. I had to wait between gusts to shoot. All in all about the same as at home. When the broad heads get here I'll shoot them with the field points. I’ll keep my fingers crossed:)

Thanks to all.....

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Went out to the range again today. My new cell phone takes pretty good pictures. Here's a 35 yard group. I think I'll try to keep my shots inside 25 yards.
I still am waiting for the broad heads to be delivered so I can see if they group with the field points.

While I was there a future limb skin showed up to try on my bow  :)  What do you think good color combo ???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©