3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My favorite bow-for what it's worth.  (Read 310 times)

Offline barley40

• Trad Bowhunter
My favorite bow-for what it's worth.
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Back about 1963 the late season archery season attracted my attention so I vowed next season I would be ready. I purchased a Pearson Puma, after that a Pearson Wildcat I believe, then moved up to a Bear Kodiak that accounted for my first buck. After many hunting adventures and fond memories I lost a lot of my interest in hunting due to working, raising a family, and other hobbies and interest. So after years went by I became interested in building my own bow and getting back to hunting. I always wanted to hunt with a longbow but thought the ones I was seeing were too expensive for me so I built a hickory longbow with hatchet, drawknife, and scraper. I have since acquired a few more tools and built many more pignut hickory bows. These were not boards, but split from a tree where the game walks, well dried and well tillered. I even glued up a glass laminated longbow. After all that I've settled on the pignut hickory longbow as my favorite! To be honest I've never tried other woods, but when moisture is taken out and kept out of hickory it works as well as any bow I've shot including the laminated recurves. But I must admit to prejudice. The wood is warm and beautiful when stained with alcohol based stain. The stuff is tough enough for axe handles so us geezers can let it double as a walking stick in the woods. Hey, wood bows have personality. Most have names. I shoot all my bows, recurves, glass longbows, and like 'em all but the hickory stick will be my favorite.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My favorite bow-for what it's worth.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Yep there is nothing as warm as an all wood bow.  I've carried one on many occasions and taken my share of game with them.

How about some pics of your hickory gems?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline barley40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My favorite bow-for what it's worth.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
I'll try to do that Mike as soon as I find out how the Photo Bucket and resizing and all that works.  Dayton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©