3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missed 3 Times!!  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Missed 3 Times!!
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
As STICK2117 said "Missed Again!!"  Missed a doe last week, shot just over her back.  I guess I got buck eagers and didn't pick a spot.  This morning, shot at a six point, flinched, and grazed the brisket.  Found some blood and waited 4 hrs. and began tracking him.  Found him bedded down and stalked to within 35 yrds (another 2 hrs). Finally he got up, thru up the old tail and disappeared.  I checked his bed and there was very little blood, so, I'd say he'll be all right.  Then, dropped over the hill to another tree stand to hunt the rest of the evening and just before dark, grunted in a very nice 9-10 point and wouldn't you know it, nicked a small branch and missed him!  Not having much luck this year.  Only have a couple of days left and it's starting to look like another dry season....  "[dntthnk]"
60" 52@28" Pittsley Predator
60" 56@28" Thunderstick MOAB
52" 55@28" '73 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missed 3 Times!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Cool!  You got to shoot three more times than me so far!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I would say you are having a good season.  It could be better, but it could be a lot worse.  So far, it is sorta like catch and release.  Bill

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Got You beat I missed 4 times
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Heartbreaking and frustrating at times but you've felt the rush three times...I would say you're having a great season. Good luck to you, I hope you put one on the ground.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Well it does not sound like a great season to me.2 misses and a wounded deer would not make my season seem like it was going well. :(

You might want to practice a little more so you can close the deal after all your work getting the shots.jmo

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by James on laptop:
Well it does not sound like a great season to me.2 misses and a wounded deer would not make my season seem like it was going well.     :(    

You might want to practice a little more so you can close the deal after all your work getting the shots.jmo
:readit:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline pharcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
I have missed 3 times. It happens I have also scored 3 times so I, batting.500 and happy to have had 6 opportunities. I missed on one stalk, hard shot and I dindn't close the deal but a sappling sure felt my wrath!! I misses a doe from a treestand, all my fault she took a step and I lost all concentration, shot a foot under her. I missed a 140" 8 pt at 26 yards who was a bit to atlert for 45# Kodiak as he "ducked" a well placed shot only getting a shave as he loaded up to turn and run at my shot. The were all fun and rewarding though! I have been blessed to score quick harvests on a black bear an old doe and a spike and it isnt over yet! Hang in there!
I am the man that I am because I am loved, because I know the value of family, and Christ remains at the center of my life.
45# 66 model Bear Super Kodiak
45# Browning Cobra1
55# Hoyt Gamemaster

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Well not sure what point I am missing.When you miss or wound more that you hit the target I can't see what is so great about it myself.  :confused:  

I am sure most like me work there butt off getting the shot they want.All that scounting or hanging stads ect means nothing at all if you can't make the shot when it comes.Sure anyone that hunts will miss or wound a deer if they hunt much at all.That is just a given because stuff happens.When stuff happens more often than stuff don't happen then there is just no way I could call it a great season.

Sorry but if you miss more than you hit you need to practice more or rethink the type shots you are taking instead of hoping to get lucky and hit something one of those times.The internet is the only place I have ever seem people happy about there season is going because they keep missing.  :(
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
Well not sure what point I am missing.When you miss or wound more that you hit the target I can't see what is so great about it myself.    :confused:    

I am sure most like me work there butt off getting the shot they want.All that scounting or hanging stads ect means nothing at all if you can't make the shot when it comes.Sure anyone that hunts will miss or wound a deer if they hunt much at all.That is just a given because stuff happens.When stuff happens more often than stuff don't happen then there is just no way I could call it a great season.

Sorry but if you miss more than you hit you need to practice more or rethink the type shots you are taking instead of hoping to get lucky and hit something one of those times.The internet is the only place I have ever seem people happy about there season is going because they keep missing.    :(  
I shoot hundreds of arrows a week, and still missed  6 times, does that make me a bad shot? I hardly EVER miss  my 3ds, and have a high percentage of "kill shots" on my 3ds .  Foam is completely different then shooting at a real animal. How do you get better at harvesting animals? Shoot more animals. Experience is everything when it comes time to closing the deal.

My hunting season is all about the journey, and not the kill. The kill is just icing on the cake, in my opinion.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
I shoot hundreds of arrows a week, and still missed 6 times, does that make me a bad shot?  
Well it means you are taking the wrong shots or shooting a noisy bow that is causeing a lot of reaction from the deer.Hard to miss a whole deer unless you are taking shots that might not be the best shots for you.

Alright I will back out of this thread now.Not going to get in debate over how good missing while hunting is.You guys have fun and maybe one day you will see that hitting them is a lot more fun.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:

I shoot hundreds of arrows a week, and still missed 6 times, does that make me a bad shot?  
Well it means you are taking the wrong shots or shooting a noisy bow that is causeing a lot of reaction from the deer.Hard to miss a whole deer unless you are taking shots that might not be the best shots for you.

Alright I will back out of this thread now.Not going to get in debate over how good missing while hunting is.You guys have fun and maybe one day you will see that hitting them is a lot more fun.    ;)   [/b]
Those shot were broadside 13-17 yards...As far as my bow being noisey, it was at the same deer 3 times,

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Have a great season James   :thumbsup:

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
a friend of mind missed the same deer 3 times too....

this is what you need to do,,,,, first lets a take a compound shooter with a pin, when he shoots ne needs to hold the pin onm the spot until impact no matter what..

traditional shooter, when he shoots he must pick a spot and keep picking that spot when he releases and when the arrow either hits or misses,,, if you see your arrow fly right through that spot then you did everything right if you see the deer jump the string and move out of the way But the arrow STILL flys through that spot your looking at (eventhough now the deers not part of it)  thats still a good shot..... now if you shoot and the deer does not move before the arrow wounds or misses and the arrow does not hit where you are looking then that is your fault and has nothing to do with picking a spot because at that point essentially your Brain sights are off and you just are not hitting the spot you are picking--> that just takes more practice or dicipline meaning you might be beyond your comfort zone.

this is my quick way to determine if its ME that missed or the deer just out smarted me upon the shot.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Missing is not to be envied, but it is part of the sport. I missed a bull elk three times and kept calling him back, finally making the kill with my last arrow. If I didn't get excited, I'd quit.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Well, back out of the woods from the morning hunt.  Saw nine but none close enough to shoot at. When everything is said and done, deer or no deer, I will  of had a good season.  I've been traditional for about 10 years now and this is the second time one has got away.  I practice hard to be a good shot and I know my limitations, sometimes things aren't always perfect as much as some people want them to be.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Maybe the reason people don't like to come on hear and talk about their misses is for fear of the beating they’re sure to receive from the old pro's that claim they just don't miss. Or so you would think to hear them tell it.  We all have our share of misses; keep at it, I know I will.

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
I agree RLA..Getting ready to go back out even though it's 70 degrees....

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
you know mountain boy I do I owe you an apology,, I just re-read your original post and I have no idea why I wrote all that stuff, for some reason I think I thought you where asking for help but now I see you where just telling us what did go wrong, so I'm sorry about that and thats my fault..

RLA not me,,, ask me about my misses and wounds and I promise you even though some of it may sound graphic It will all be the 100% truth--> and those who know me know I could care less what anyone thinks,, misses and wounds are all part of it out there last I heard.

good luck mountainboy, your into some nice deer and it will all come together very soon I'm sure.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
We would all like to be perfect and for everything to turn out just the way we want it to... but wouldnt life be boring!! I had one shot so far this year and guess what, I missed!! hit a small limb between me and the doe. I was consentrating more on a spot than what was in the way. Somtimes thats just the way things go!! sounds like your having a good season, contrary to what you may read!! Good Hunting, Jason

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
I have missed deer.
I have never got anything good from a miss - other then realizing how plain dumb lucky I was not to wound one. I have agonized over every one and always will - will never be able to brush it off as just part of the game. Missing deer does not make a good season for me.

JMO - directed at no one in particular.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©