3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most effective string silencer for you  (Read 1965 times)

Offline lost in the woods

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most effective string silencer for you
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
sorry gentleman but i got to buck the tiger on this one ,,,

as what i prefer to call a traditional archer / hunter i keep my bows , arrows and methods as traditional as possible , giving up ALL cams and pulleys in the late 80s i went to a osage self bow , arthritis in the elbows and wrists lets me know when I'm getting just to much string shock and vibration , one of the only silencers I've found is natural fur , but not just any fur will work , the thickest and best comes from upper north america in winter, biggest factor is the placement, for me each bow is different. that you will have to determine on each bow for your shooting style.
I prefer beaver but have tried a few other species , mama got tired of me trying to swipe a piece from her fur coat ( wouldn't recommend this by the way ) so i had to go online to get mine , recently i found some on **** and ordered a set , I've tried some of the others they sell on there but this one suited me and went back and purchased sets for most of the bows i shoot on a regular basis , I'm not going to promote the manufacturer here but if you want to know just mail me through here.
so in short what do i prefer ,, the best beaver fur you can find and proper placement of the fur.
thanks yall for letting me voice my opinion
LOST IN THE WOODS

Offline Pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
Piece of rubber inner tube 1/2"x2" long. Overhand knot pull tight...trim...cheap,slide up and down, they work. All the young guys cringe cause they dont look cool. Oh well.
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it. Boldness has wisdom, power, and magic in it.  W.H. Murry.

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Wool puffs quiet the bow and affect performance the least but they pick up burrs and absorb water. Cat whiskers are water and burr proof but you need to be careful not to put too many on and cut them short because they can greatly affect performance. I found that out through bare shaft tuning. Going from a bare string to 2 full whiskers on the same bow, I had to change from 2018's to 1916's.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
I experimented for over a year and a half and I found that the product I was 'working on' was the best for me.  Bow Hush and Hush Puppies.

I hear a lot about 'water'...but water gathers not only on the silencers, but the string, feathers, shaft, broadhead, bow limbs, shooting glove.  When it rains the silencers aren't the only thing to get wet, or effect the performance of your equipment...everything is effected, and folks should account for all that as well when their equipment.  You will get 'sprayed' even if you have no silencers, and your arrow will be slower regardless.

Yeah, Rubber will absorb water cause it is porous, and it will also 'collect' water just like any other silencer.  Rubber also weighs more than wool when both are dry...least the wool puffs I use by far.  

I liked the wool's effect so much I put my little girls in buiz....Not just 'any wool'...but Wool from New Zealand that has more crimp and I use a longer staple than what is sold in stores.

BTW...the Bow Hush Hero pic page is about half done...and thanks to all who contributed to that.  Also, I will be updating the 'About the Owners' page soon as well as some of you will not believe how much they have grown since that 1st pic of them with the yarn spools.

Also, I'd like to thank all those that have been our customers over the years. And thanks for sharing your successes with me and my gals.     :notworthy:    

Bow Hush and Hush Puppies
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
bow hush puppies.... all i use.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Traditional bowhunter mag did a test on this question. They found the rubber cat whiskers to be the most effective at sound dampening and added padding on the limbs where the string hits for recurves.

-Charlie

Offline Colotrad

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
IMHO silence all starts with the skinny string.  Minimal silencing material needed after that.
TGMM Family of the Bow
60" Griffin T/D
56" Shrew C/H T/D
58" Shrew C/H T/D
62” Javaman Assyrian T/D

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Wool yarn, it works great and it's cheap! 6 bucks and it's hard telling how many a fella could get out of a bundle!! Jason

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
I used wool yarn from the grocery store on one of my bows, but recently I switched to 35 strands of old B-50.  I think the old recycled bowstring actually does a better job than the yarn.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
I've used beaver balls and they seem to work well. I ordered a couple pairs of the hush puppies a week or two ago. I am anxious to see how well they work.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
I've always used the catwhiskers, they work
well plus I can tie a lot of Chernobyls and Sneaky Petes with them.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Hush Puppies and beaver strips.  I have also used wool from the craft stores but it does not work as well as Bowhush.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Rubber cat whiskers.  Buy it as "skirting" material from someplace like Jann's Netcraft and you'll get 5.5 feet of it for a little over a dollar.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Beaver balls.

There were some serious problems with the piece in Trad Bowhunter.  Most of the conclusions make no sense whatsoever.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline ega278

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
After some research I too chose to order a few sets of "Hush Puppies" a few weeks ago. Still nothing in the mail though...

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
Going to a skinny string with tapered/padded loops and 10 strands of yarn on 1/4 points.  Very quiet shooting bow is the result.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
The little rubber Limb Saver Silencers. They don't slow me down, they're quiet, and they're water proof.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline lost in the woods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
has anybody else tried the beaver fur strips from hairy beaver ? , although not waterproof they took the zing out of my old longbow , had em on for 3 months now , still holding up good.

Offline pappabearsnuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
Been using beaver silencers for years with no problems. most of the time i can use them on new strings when the string is replaced.
Genesis 27:3

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
I had beaver and it didnt work near as well! the wool made a big differance! jmo! Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©