3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Water Buffalo Practice  (Read 2874 times)

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Water Buffalo Practice
« on: April 08, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
In Darryl Quidort's section on Masters of the Barebow 1, he talks about the importance of practicing on life-size targets for his method of shooting. I agree with Darryl and thought I'd share my buffalo target.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/Dsturgisjr/Ibufapull.jpg

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Water Buffalo Practice
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
That Buff is sooo dead right now! Cool!!Thanks for posting that!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Nice, Denny!  Our archery club has a turkey and elk 3d target on the practice range, and I love shooting at them for practice.  Been concentrating on the turkey one lately, with the season coming up, but shoot at the elk one in case I get lucky enough to get drawn for an elk tag here.

Looks like you're ready!

Lee

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Nice Denny...I bet the other side is a Buff facing head on so you can practice that eternal stare down.     :help:

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Cool...That can't be the true size of a buff though is it? Looks kinda small to me.

you should have seen the target I was using when practicing for my moose hunt a few years ago. Dayum those moose are big ha ha
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jay Campbell, JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I like it!  Two weeks ago UPS delivered a Delta 3-D Life-sized Buffalo target to me and the Mrs. Been filling it full of holes here in NM.  Freaks out the dog.  We're getting ready for Buffalo in July in OZ. I should put a pair of Water Buffalo horns on it, though.  We were at Cabelas in Wisconsin last week, got to stare down the Cape Buffalo full mounts. Dang!  - Jay Campbell, JD

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Mickey - That is only the front half.   LOL

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
I hate to burst your bubble, D-Man, but you had better shoot higher than that!  Also, are you practicing fast dashes and lightning-quick tree climbing?

I studied the Buff anatomy and the lungs are much larger higher up.  Also, the "sweet spot", where the main arteries come together in the lungs is much higher.  

My aiming point is at least 6" higher and about 4" further forward.  That puts you in the "V" and right in the sweet spot.  I hit both my bulls there and the were down almost instantly.

I was hoping to hunt with you in camp down there again, Denny.  I enjoyed meeting you...If you're ever going over again, let me know.  I'm going back either next year or the year after.  I'm hooked on Buffalo!  And...OZ!

Cheers, mate!

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
Hey Paul,Stand up on a box and it will look better to you. LOL

Going back over with Don this summer. Thinking of Mozambique in a couple years though? Really enjoyed hanging out with you too.

We disected the bulls we shot last year when we packed out the meat. Those high lung shots do indeed drop them.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
Looks like a pincushion with all the arrows in it. You weren't taking any chances were you?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Hey, mate! (I'm beginning to sound like a Kiwi)

WHERE did you hunt?  That looks like a pretty darned good bull!  I assume that only one of the arrows was need to drop him and that the others were test shots for penetration.

I heard from Andrew that he has been charged a couple more times.  It was close, but he dropped them both with the .416!  He's down here now, guiding for Red Deer on the South Island.  

I wanted to go to Oz this July and then go on with Andrew to New Calidonia for the Russa Deer roar, but found that I may have a chance to go with Allan Cilliers to his new area in the Caprivi Strip.  It is unfenced, 400 square miles, and WILD!  Lions in numbers, thousands of Buff, Leopards, around 7,000 Elephant, and a bunch of species I have never even seen.  

Drop me an email at [email protected] and fill me in on your OZ hunt and the outfitter.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
I thought you could just shoot at the side of the house...  :bigsmyl:
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Hey Paul, We hunted with Bill Baker on Melville Island. That old bull just kept turning around - never knew we were there. I gave him a couple extras to speed things along.

Can you get permits for the cape buffalo with Allen? I've always wanted to hunt the "strip". Allan is the real deal.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
That dead thing looks WAAAAAY bigger than your practice target   :eek:  

I can see by that picture of you and Paul that if we ever get our picture taken together I'm bringing my "puffed up shirt" and my milk crate so I don't look as tiny as Paul does standing next to you.   :saywhat:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »

Mickey, I think you are right - but it isn't that bad for doing it with a spray can.

My kid is getting good with catching those arrows in flight with the digital camera.

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
Jay, I just saw your post. We will see you at Melville!

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
awesome i wish to do that someday
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
Denny, It looks like you're keeping that release hand tucked in and useing a dead release instead of making it come back to your shoulder. Did you learn that from watching MBB?    :goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Hey Ron, My release hand moved back on release - it's behind my ear a bit. Just like the guy in the opening of MBB.  :knothead:  

The range is a painted up and ready to shoot again.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Super idea Denny. Nothing like good practice on the animal to be hunted. Only one thing mate, your still wearing your shoes...   :readit:   ...lol. Regardless of the snow !!

Hope to catch up with you when your here.

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©