3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Bucks Only???  (Read 1141 times)

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Bucks Only???
« on: November 13, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
I was just wondering how many here on TradGang only shoot Bucks?????

I started my hunting career in western NY on my Grandpa's and Uncle's farms in Madison Co. There was no doe shooting on the north side of US Rt.20.(unless you were bowhunting) The first 2 deer I killed were does with an old Bear Alaskan recurve. Then a spike with the gun,then more bucks and does followed with both bow and gun.....

Over the years I have killed a bunch of does,but as time went on,I let more and more does walk by. I like horns on the wall. I'm not a trophy hunter by any means,a spike is as good as a monster. I only had one deer head mounted,that was a big 8 point that I shot in 1985. It was the first,and it will be the last.

Over the last 10 years I have let many does pass only to end up with "tag soup" at the end of the season. No mind though,I LOVE deer meat but I have VERY limited freezer space. Now I know all about "deer managment" and "herd quality" etc. But I just don't like shooting does. It's a personal thing,I have no problems with anyone shooting does. It's just that I prefer not to.

Anyone out there "just like me"?????  :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Bucks Only???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Only during the rifle season when that's all they allow me to shoot with my bow. Still have only shot one though.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with your preference.  Myself, I look for one anterless and one antlered deer a year.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Ive only shot bucks so far but thats partially because I haven't had a good shot opportunity on a doe that wasn't a fawn or with fawns yet.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Everyone has their preferences.  As far as herd management, you have to keep the does down to keep a decent buck/doe ratio.  We are really starting to notice the benefits of this, and a 4 point on one side antler restriction on the family farm.  There are more bucks, and rattling/grunting bucks in is working for me for thr first time this year.  Also some of the best eating!!  Just my 2 cents.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
No, not in the least.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I happily shoot either, but I respect your decision not to.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
My family eats alot of deer meat. I always shoot does because they are trouble makers. I have killed two does and a buck this year and I am still chasing slick heads. I hunt counties where there is no limit on does as long as you have the tags.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
I am the exact opposite.  I rarely let a doe walk unless a fawn, but bucks I think I let walk too much LOL!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Chuck,
I hunt for the meat.  I love to shoot bucks beacause it was the way I was raised.  That being said, I don't see alot of deer here now that all the farms are gone, so with a bow I will shoot either.  If I am not seeing many deer on our property I will not fill my doe tag if I have one.  I have done this many times.  I usually get a super sportsman license, so I treat my muzzleloader tag like a doe tag, and again end up leaving it unfilled.  I really wish the DEC would adopt the 3 point rule  for Delaware county, but they voted it down.  It does us no good to use that mentality on our 50 acres because the spike and forks will be gunned down as soon as they walk off our land, therefore we shoot them before someone else does.

20 years ago we never thought of shooting a doe on our property, but after 5 straight years of being skunked I ended up taking one. (2007 rifle season)  I was having venison withdrawl!

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I haven't shot a doe in years mostly because there aren't enough deer here in my opinion. Have 6 tags of which I can shoot 2 Bucks. Have a Moose in the freezer so being picky. Have a month to do it with the best to come.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I've been buck only for years and eventually became buck only over 200lbs dressed.

But take into consideration that where I hunt whitetails are: 1)very big bodied and 2) I have access to a lot of private land and/or land that gets very little pressure.

So adding those extra conditons to the hunt have less of an impact than if I hunted in an area that saw lots of pressure. Its very unusual to even see another hunter all season, but it is still quite a challenge to fill my tag. Older whitetails are, if anything, careful...

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Down here in Alabama in the county i hunt in we can legally kill over 100 deer a year. I shoot every doe i get a chance at and i have 3 walls full of mounts of some pretty dang good deer. Our herd is just to big down here and the does need thinning out. Plus i just took up trad and im having a ball chasing those slick headed suckers.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I guess if I saw more deer I mite get picky,but the numbers of deer I get to see will make me take the first deer that offers its self to me. I like eating venison and have'nt had any in a long, long time. Buck or doe, with a bow, down it goes. Most trips afield I'm am just as happy to see a deer.....I'm not happy very often...lol!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Let me also add that i hunt 3,000 private acrs so im given lots of chances on deer. If i hunted a place where the deer herd wasnt that good i might try for a buck only.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I try and shoot all the doe fawns I can! I really don't like shooting older does as I feel ya kill 3 deer by doing that, The one ya shot and the 2 fawns she would of had. In areas where there are to many deer shoot those older does. I used to be able to see 15-20 deer in my bow only area and now on agood day I will see 6-8 deer. I the last 5 days I have seen 18 deer and only 6 were does. It is up to the hunter but if ya want a good rut you should try and thin the does Shawn
Shawn

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
Shawn, I agree with you about shooting the fawns,from what I've seen most don't make it through the winter anyway. But,thinning the does for a good rut??? Yeah I know,buck-doe ratio etc. but how do you know which does to shoot??? If you shoot a doe that's already come into heat and been bred,then she is done and no longer an attaction,but what if you shoot one that hasen't come into heat yet??? Now you have taken "Buck Bait" out of the herd.

I tend to think that if you leave the does alone,the bucks will just keep coming back as more of the does come into heat.

(JMHO but heck,what do I know)LOL

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
A good rut is all about availability of does and competition to breed them...

I've hunted places (not in NY!)where the ratio was very good and it's like a different world!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Hmmmmm.....   :confused:  

Years ago I had a piece of propery to hunt exclusively. There was no doe shooting allowed by the owner. The place was LOADED with does AND bucks!!!!! Nobody on any of the surrounding properties were seeing ANY deer,but we killed 9 bucks off that land in a week.

(just looking for feedback and info,I know what are considered "good managment" practices.But experiance has kinda taught me otherwise)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
In New Jersey you can only get three bucks the whole year except during permit season then they cost you $32.00 a zone and it's one per zone so you have to travel from zone to zone that is a lot of car time.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©