3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew limb core choices???  (Read 255 times)

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
Shrew limb core choices???
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
With so many choices it's confusing to say the least!  I'm thinking of putting an order in for another Shrew and wanted to get some opinions.  What's the smoothest drawing core choice (Carbon, bamboo, elm, maple)?  Which is the quietest?  Which has the least handshock?  Which is the best performer or most efficient?  I want the bow to look just like the one on Ron's site when you go to the GFA quivers (it's the all black with red overlays.)  I'm gonna send Ron and email with the serial # of my current Shrew and see what it has as I really like it, but I'm open to suggestions about what you guys think is the best choice for a smooth, fast, and quiet hunting bow.  Oh, I'm looking at a 52" Classic Hunter.

thanks,
Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew limb core choices???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
Ken,

We offer actionboo and foam as cores.  Clear glass or carbon for the power.  They are both very quiet.  Carbon seems to be easier to get quiet when there is a veneer and very thin clear glass over it.

Carbon with foam is the quickest.  

You can PM me the serial number and I may be able to tell you whats in it.  Especially if it strts with a G.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
My next will be carbon/foam with veneer and glass. But no matter what you get, it will be a great bow.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
I always tell Gregg " Just make it how you would make it for yourself" and I come up with a crazy-great bow.

What's the core on my Li'l Fav Gregg? When I wear that out I want another just like it.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
That would be actionboo, Roger.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Well save some, because 4 or 5 years from now, after dropping this thing out of tree stands and carving notches in it (just kidding) and having it bounce around in my truck I might need a new one. And since I have decreed this Li'l Fav the PERFECT BOW, I want it exactly the same!!!

:archer:

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
In my experience foam cores are the smoothest, carbon gives some speed increase, and quiet is what happens to just about any of them with good string silencers at the proper locations. I like the actionboo cores too, but not as much as the foam.

No matter what materials you get, Gregg will build a great bow. If you like a light, short, handy, great shooting bow, you won't go wrong with a Shrew.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »
Yeah, I love the Shrew it's the quickest pointing and easiest to shoot hunting bow I've found for my natural ground blinds and treestands and it's pretty handy for stalking cattails and cornfields.  I've heard that the carbon/foam is like shooting a 5# to 10# heavier draw weight; does it really add that much performance?  

Gregg,  PM your way brother.

Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Ok, after thinking about this I think I would like a 62" 50# Shrew Model-T with actionboo cores and carbon with veneer and thin glass limbs. Now, to get on the list...
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©