3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon steel vs. Stainless  (Read 229 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Carbon steel vs. Stainless
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
A recent thread about a new Abowyer broadhead had a couple of posts where people preferred carbon over stainless steel.  I'm definitely no expert on metals.  I was if someone could tell me the advantages of these respectively, other than that stainless is less likely to rust.  ;)

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon steel vs. Stainless
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
It's easier to put a nasty edge on high carbon steel.  That has been my expiriance anyway.  I love my case yellow handle pocket knife and my old buck creek.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Don't know about broadheads but, stainless blades are normally a bit harder to sharpen than carbon. Given the proper attention, either will sharpen up nicely.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
If it is harder to put an edge on stainless steel, does it also retain that edge better?

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
It all depends on the kind of stainless,the heat treat-hardness and how much carbon is in the stainless.

Lots of hard choices in choosing steel for broadheads.Hard steels take better edges and last longer but also chip or break easier.It's all about balance.

I've ofter wondered about how a laminated stainless would perform.The center hard cutting layer could be thin as a razor blade.The outside layers softer for protecting the center core.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
PDK 25,
It's kind of a moot point. You should re-sharpen after every shot no matter what you use. SS doesn't oxidize as quick as carbon but, BHs should be touched up from time to time anyway. After any BH has been sharpened, keeping it that way is pretty simple. Touch it up on a stone, file, ceramic or leather. Whatever your preferred method is. My self, I like carbon. Easier to sharpen & easier to touch up & defiantly as sharp as SS. Besides that, it cost less. One benefit  of SS is if you hunt in a lot of rain. Doesn't oxidize like carbon will.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
I'm just curious, is all.  I know others posts in the past have mentioned how important it is for the broadhead to stay sharp the whole way through the animal, not just on impact.  I'm not completely convinced of this, since I've sliced my finger on a butter knife that wasn't traveling nearly as fast as an arrow.  That being said, they might be right.  If they are, a stainless broadhead may have some advanage over carbon.  I do hunt in the rain a little, but no more than most.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »
It is very hard to find truly good quality stainless steel and even rarer to find a stainless that will hold an edge better than moderate grade carbon steel.  Use the stainless if you hunt in a lot of wet weather or do not like to perform maintenance on the heads regularly.  As in every time you hunt.  Otherwise carbon steel heads will out perform stainless heads for edge sharpness, retention of that sharp edge, and durability.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
I prefer carbon steel for my broadheads, as I touch them up most every time I hunt, and I have found it is easier to achieve and keep the desired sharpness with carbon.

If you ever try Abowyer heads, you will find the steel they are made from is perfect for getting the most durable and sharp edge possible. They cost a bit more money, but they are worth every penny.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses, guys.  I appreciate it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©