3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Water boot suggestions?  (Read 667 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Water boot suggestions?
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Alright folks, this is my dilema.  I hunt a lot, and spend lots of time in the mud and water.  To complicate things, I cover lots of ground in between swamp stalks.  I need something more comfortable than a basic 18" rubber boot.

I had a pair of Lacrosse light weight water boots with the neoprene uppers.  They were the most comfortable water boot I have ever worn.  They felt like my bed room slippers, and I had no trouble hiking 7-8 miles in them.  The cost around $90 and lasted around 4 months!  I need something much more durable.  I can't afford three pairs of these per year.

I've been looking at the Muck boots, and have read great things about them.  They look very similar in design to the Lacrosse that I had.  The Mucks use 5mm neoprene, while the Lacrosse uses 3.5mm.  Will they last a year or two of hunting 80-90 days a year?

My other thought is to buy some high, waterproof, leather boots.  Maybe a Danner?  What are your thoughts?
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Water boot suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
I have a pair of the muck boots and they have seen a lot of miles. mine fit like a tennis shoe and have lasted 4 seasons.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I"m in need of a new pair also, and was considering the LL Bean 16" Maine Hunting Boot. But I just don't know how good the leather uppers will be in the water.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
A good leather boot with Gore-tex would work, but two things come to mind. First the cost $150-$250, and then its been my experiance that they only last 2 years. The use that your giving them maybe less. Hard wet use on boots makes it hard to get something that works and that will last.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
16" Maine hunting shoe.  I just bought a pair and really like them.  Lightweight, comfortable, quiet, really like moccasins.  The factory laces are too short...I have big calves and like to tuck my pants inside. Get some 108" laces if you opt for the tall boots. The 16" is hard to get on and off, but they function like gaiters once they are on. I haven't been through any standing water, but I expect them to work great, Bean has been making them for a long time.

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
After 30+ years of trying to find a leather/breathable membrane WATERPROOF boot I've come to the conclusion there isn't. Not one that holds a candle to all rubber or neoprene.Sure you can step in a few puddles and come out dry but try wet grass or standing water for a few minutes and then tell me your feet are dry.
My last pair of 18" burly's,the old brown style, lasted 10 years. Not the lightest boot but went through brush and briar for 80-100 days a year.Replaced them with Lacrosse Alpha burly's this spring. Lighter but I don't think they will last anywhere near as long as their predecessors.Mucks are a great boot. Neoprene is not as durable as rubber though.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
i got real sick of buying new rubber boots every year,  made the switch to muck boots and i won't ever go back
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
What model do you folks recommend?  I need some light weight, non-insulated ones.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I have yet to find anything that beats the traditional ankle fit green LaCrosse Burly for comfort and durability. They will last for years.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
I get two seasons from Muck boots. I cut holes in them with the briars. Good stuff.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
I have 15 1/2" size feet I found a pair of Rocky rubber boots that were better than any grange type boot they fit great and lasted 2yrs.could walk forever in them.They were warm in the winter as well.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
Lacrosse 1200 Burly, the best rubber boot made . That is my two cents
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Scent blocker dream season boots great stuff.I work part time in a sporting goods store and we sell quite a few of these
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
I worked pipeline for years ( still do but not laborer anymore) and wore Lacrosse burlys in the winter time because you are in the mud and water all day. They hold up great but , not sure how long they will in the briars . One downfall to Lacrosse is the fact that they will dry rot and start leaking .I have just ordered myself a pair of Muck boots witht he neoprene uppers , I will let you know how they hold up .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Southeast Alaska lives in BF Goodrich Xtratuf boots. Put a felt insole in them and wear some knee high wool socks and you are good to go.
You can roll down the tops for formal occasions.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Apex Predator:
What model do you folks recommend?  I need some light weight, non-insulated ones.
i went with the woody sport,  more of an all around boot, cheaper than the woody max
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
$49 Lacrosse Grange rubber boot.  Perfect fit very comfortable.  Mine lasts several years.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
My LaCross Alphas (all rubber) have lasted for 3-4 seasons so far - for what it's worth.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Muck Boots. I've got three pairs: one for the garden; light weight hunting and insulated. The Woody is one damned comfortable boot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Does anyone use light weight packable hip waders -- I used to see them being sold periodically but can't find any now.  When I hunt, I may encounter water hazards that are easier to go thru than around, or I may decide to hunt in a swamp -- having a light weight durable pair of packable hip boots would be great.  What I envision, is being able to pull the hip boots over my hunting boots.  Any input?  TC
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©