3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Iowa  (Read 548 times)

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
Iowa
« on: November 14, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
I was down in Southern Iowa hunting Wed through Saturday (today).  We were seeing TONS of sign, but seemed the deer were still holed up in the standing corn and only moving nocturnally.  I did see 4 real nice bucks, and a few does, but nothing in close.

I'm originally from North East Iowa, what are you guys seeing?  I'm not seeing that much for rutting activity right now.
>>>--------->

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Iowa
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Buck sightings have slowed for me.  I've been trying to fill some antlerless tags and have noticed some big deer locked down.  Hunted yesterday and didn't even see a buck.  It's the first time I've hunted this year without seeing at least a basket rack.  That can be pretty typical for this time of the rut though.  Hopefully the temps drop and more corn comes out for Thanksgiving week.  Sounds like a lot of Iowa bowhunter's are having a tough time killing the kind of deer they want this year.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline pj starrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
is iowa a draw state or can you get out of state tags over the counter?

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
It is a draw state!

Yeah, the going is slow!!!!  I did call in a great 12 pointer yesterday.  Just could not make it happen.  Today, a tiny little buck came in.  Did not even see a doe.  When I have seen does they are not even being trailed.  Strange!  Yes, 1/2 of our corn is still in:(
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »
I agree very slow. Even though a couple nice bucks have been taken by my family in the past three days. They were just trolling along looking for Doe"s that seem to have vanished. Three days ago i had five does come by but just out of range and not even a young buck was around them. Sat out there in the big timber until 10:30 this morning and didn't even see a tree rat. Greywolf and i went down into Missouri tonight about forty miles and seen three or four deer along the road in Missouri and a ton of them moving in Iowa. Still plenty of corn in around here. Farmers working on beans mostly. Corn is wet out there and i think a few are pondering about the money aspect of drying it.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
I hunt across the Missouri River from Iowa. The other evening was absolutely amazing, with all the chasing, grunting, knocking things down, breaking stuff, that I could hear going on over there. It must have been several different bucks after one hot doe with all of the grunting going on. Most intense chasing I've ever heard! It made for a very entertaining evening!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Back at home now in north east iowa, this morning seen a few moving off in the distance, but nothing yet tonight, but still two hours til dark.
>>>--------->

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
I hunted Warren county this weekend and I seen 2 nice bucks and 2 giant bucks but none within 80yds, does were all around me Saturday AM and Friday night, went to wally world during a lunch break on saturday and bought a doe tag so I could shoot one without using my either sex tag, havent seen a doe since!

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Must have been on the other side of Warren Co. than me Jason  :)
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
It's been tough here at home.  I'm hunting Bremer county.  I talked to the guys hunting the property to the north of the one i hunt, and they aren't seeing much action yet either.  I hope all the corn to be out by the weekend (not likely) to get back in the stand and see some deer.  It's been a strange year for sure.
>>>--------->

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Are you down by Indianola Katie?

I was up by Orilla/Cumming, my mom's side of the family has some land there, the north side of the field I was hunting in borders Polk County.

I feels your pain about the corn Altiman, we all do. I am hunting a grove of timber surrounded by alfalfa but all around that is standing corn.

Offline IAOUTDOORSMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »
I was seeing some larger bucks coming out into the beans chasing does a few weeks ago.  The high temps the last week or two seemed to make everything stop.  I was still seeing does walking around with no cares, but the bucks vanished.  The colder air the last couple of nights seems to have started things back up in my area.  I was using a can style estrus bleat call tonight and was driving a little button buck crazy.  I'm hunting in Lucas County.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Slow going in IL too. Too much corn standing. I was able to sneak out a few times this past week, in between taking care of details following Mom's passing. Felt good to sit in solitide and watch the woods. I saw one decent 8 pointer chasing a doe a few days ago, but only the same few does coming out late each night. They're all being nocturnal. None of the does seem pressured by bucks though, even though I know there are at least 2 bucks in the immediate area.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Yes Jason, I am east of Indianola.

I used a can bleat as well to bring a 12 point right to me.  Just could not finish the job.  I think I came down with some big buck fever!  Right over his back.  He was the only buck I had seen all weekend.
Had no time to hunt yesterday.  Pulled in last night to see a wide rack buck running 2 does in my back yard!  Nice.
Good luck everyone!

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Watched 4 bucks chasing a doe at 2PM a couple days ago. They are moving pretty good up here in northwest Iowa. Corn is still in the fields though making it tougher. Three of my hunting buds have filled three tags each. They are there, just need to spend the time out there.
Good luck guys
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline bdawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
im done hunting already but the bucks are sniffin pretty hard around here.buddies have been seeing some monsters around here in the 180in range which is rare around central iowa.makes me wish i would have let my ten point 135 to 140in walk.oh well next year i guess.good luck and hopefully they will get the corn out.knock down a big one.bdawg

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Rain Rain Wind Wind wish it would blow the corn out of the fields and into the farmers bins. Having no luck at all seeing deer.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I hunted the first 2 full weeks of November. Deer siteings were hit and miss some days great some days slow. Saw a few GOOD bucks but just couldn't close the deal. Thanksgiving week is coming and hope it's a good one. Passed on a couple of bucks that will be good next year.

doug77

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Any sock footed stalks Doug ?????

KYArcher

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Hunted this past weekend in western IA.  Sat all day Saturday and till noon on Sunday, and saw several 125-140"ers but was just out of position and nothing closer than 28 yards.  Just didn't feel comfortable with it so let him walk; and that was the closest opportunity I got.  Saw only a couple dinks chasing, big ones were on the cruise but cautious.  Lots of corn still in, saw far more bucks than does.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©