3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A pic from my last hunt....  (Read 699 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
A pic from my last hunt....
« on: November 15, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »
Ok, just a teaser.

This was taken this past Wednesday.

Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A pic from my last hunt....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:28:00 AM »
Well, okay....

Some more pics and stuff.

I was on stand before sun up and got to see this first thing.  No deer, just the sunrise.

Looking southwest, I saw a deer crossing the mud flat (dark strip across middle of field) just as the sun was coming up but the wind was wrong and he didn't come in.  This pic was taken a bit later.

Here's one of my bow hanging from the tree with some rattling antlers.

Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »
Nice photos, Dave!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:38:00 AM »
thats great dave... Love it

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 03:50:00 AM »
That first photo is a great shot Dave! Did you take that pic yourself or was someone with you?
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »
Did you get the deer?

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 06:41:00 AM »
Nice pics Dave. Now whats the story with the 1st one?

Offline Silvertip Marc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
Is the first picture a decoy, or was someone along with you?  I would hope you didnt set the timer and then pick up the bow to shoot!!!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
Cool, those Montana Decoys are slick.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
Love to see pics, thanks for sharing.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
Cool
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Big Ed guessed it!

That's my Montana decoy.  I'm really starting to like that thing.  They really look real.  I've had it set up and got a little sleepy in the stand only to start myself awake and do a double take thinking there was a buck under my tree.

So far this year, I've had bucks come in twice when I had it set up.  The first one was about a 13" spread 7 or 8 point.  I was up in a pretty small tree and had the decoy only 9 steps away facing edgeways right at me.  This buck comes meandering along about a half hour before sunset.  He's to my right and a little bit back over my shoulder.  Bad place for me.  Well, he was far enough out that I was able to stand up while he had his nose to the ground but I was facing right at him instead of being bladed off 90 degrees like a shooting stance.  I'm expecting him to come across my front where the trail is and give me a shot but he keeps bearing right.  At about 40 yards out, he locks up on the decoy and does a couple head bobs then turns to come in.  At 30 yards out, I took a chance and turned just slightly in the stand and got busted.  

Now, I said I was in a small tree okay?  To give you an idea how small, I was using my Rapid Rails and twice while climbing up or down I had the feet on my middle step section slip PAST the trunk because it was too narrow!  If I moved to get comfortable, the whole tree top shook.  And I'm about 6'2" and 250lbs so... I don't look like a squirrel up there.

Anyway, he locks up on me and luckily, I'm standing real close to the trunk, my face is camo'd and I'm squinting my eyes a bit.  I could almost SEE him thinking.  He was getting that "Uh oh" look but then he glances back to the decoy which has quite a bit bigger rack than his and I could literally see him give a mental shrug.  It was as if he was keyed up but then looked at the decoy and just said "Oh well, must be okay."  Then he comes in to about 15 yards and looks up at me again and does the exact same thing!  He looks at me, looks at the decoy and just shrugs. "Huh, okay." and turns broadside right towards the decoy.  He lays his ears back a little and walks in kinda stiff legged but not overly so.  I'm sure he knew he was outmatched but in he comes to 9 yards.  He started out going towards the decoys head but at about 3 yards from it kinda turned towards it's hind end.  I don't know if he was going to try to gore it or do the dog thing and sniff butts but either way, I took the shot and blew it.

Sure was fun though.

The following week, I hunted the same tree set up the same way and a different buck came in that was quite a bit smaller.  He was still a 7 or 8 point but only about a 9 or 10 inch spread.  When he saw the decoy, he changed course and swung a wide circle to the down wind side.  He didn't really spook, but I think he was intimidated.

Here's another pic of the decoy.

So, the decoy is at 50% so far.  Two encounters with one buck pulled in and one intimidated.  The one that was pulled in was pretty cool.
Dave

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
Great Pics!!! That first one was a heart pumper-----then you break the news about the decoy!  :bigsmyl:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline David Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Great story and picks. Nice looking longbow too, who makes it?

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Good to see you are getting out and seeing deer Dave. Nice pictures...  :thumbsup:

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 02:40:00 AM »
Yea Paul, I'm seeing a lot of deer on the KS turnpike that are just as flat as that Montana....

Dave Lewis, that bow is a Lonetree Ocelot by Wade or Ralf (can never remember) Castoe from Oklahoma.  He's no longer in business here on earth....  Shoots real smooth and it's tough too.  Drobe over it with my wife's '98 Expedition two weeks ago and still going.   :eek:    :banghead:
Dave

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
Cool pics Dave!  Glad to see the bow alive and kicking  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
Glad that the bow is still OK Dave.
The road is the ONLY place that I've been seeing deer...  :(

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
Nice pics and good shooting tips. Thanks, Dave.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Great story, Dave.    :)  

"Drove over it with my wife's '98 Expedition two weeks ago and still going.    :eek:        :smileystooges:      :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©