3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Greetings from Norway!  (Read 967 times)

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
Greetings from Norway!
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »
Hi, Svein from Norway here!

I've been sneaking around this place for about a month, 'till I saw Scott Beitzels post, and thought, how rude i've been! Ty Scott^^
The proper way is always to introduce oneself when among new people. Especially when intending to stay!

So, about me then..

29yo from coast of mid- Norway, been shooting for about 8 months, and it's been traditional all the way!
Currently shooting a Samick recurve, and just started making my own arrows. Then only the bow to go^^

I've done a few posts/comments here, and I can tell this is a great and friendly community!

So, to everyone here (and there), enjoy!
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Greetings from Norway!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »
Oh boy.... sounds like you've been bit by the trad bug!

Glad to meet you.  You're in the right place to learn about anything you want to know about traditional bows, arrows and shooting.

Enjoy!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
Welcome Svein!   :wavey:  
As you have already found, this is a great place to hang out  :campfire:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »
Welcome Svein.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
Hey Svein from Norway! Welcome aboard!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
Hello there, good to have you.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
:wavey:    :campfire:
Molon labe

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang. Everyone around the world getting together with the same passion.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Welcome, Svein. My grandfather was born in Oslo and came to this country when he was 16. Nice to have another Viking aboard ship.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
welcome to the gang  :campfire:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
Welcome Svein, great folks here and a great place to share and learn..........
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Welcome Svein,a lot of great guys up here and a huge archery knowledge
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Hey Svein,  

I just had a thought, any input for traditional Norwegian ways to cook venison?  Always interested in cultures from other countries.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Welcome to the group.Hey I was stationed in Oslo,Trondheim,and Strodal forgive me if I spelled it wrong.Good to have you here.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
lpcjon2: Trondheim is where i live atm! Nice place, not to big^^ Stationed in army?

Bill Carlsen: How nice  :)  Lots of Norwegians moved to the US from 1880-1920s. We were a poor country back then!

Dave Bulla: We have more fish-recipies than venison, but there are a few traditional Sami (Scandinavian Eskimo) dishes.
I can try to search them up, translate, and create a new topic for them if you want!  :)
Can have it ready in a couple of days!

To all other greeters, thanks  :)

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Welcome, my wifes people come from Halingdal on her fathers side and some other place in Norway on her mothers mothers side.  My wife even speaks Norsk has lived a few years Norway on and off when she was younger and she plays the hardingfela.  Not uncommon with folks around Minnesota where I live.  My sons middle name comes from some realive from the 1500's in Norway from the family history. Good to have a modern day Norsk archer in our midst.  My wife would like to return to Norway to live for a few years, I said only if I could become a traditional archery distributer and hunt as much as I liked!  Althought using a bow for hunting is not presently allowed from what I understand. But I did hear that bowhunting for roe deer in Sweden was now being allowed?  Again Welcome!!

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
As promised i would post when i had some more info on our traditional ways to prepare venison.

I have found a few different, though the US probobly has many similar recipies as many Norwegians emigrated to midland US in the latter half of the 19th and start of the 20th Century.

Anyway here are a few   :)  

Gravet Kjøtt ("Aged Meat")
Take about 1 kilo of venison, handrub it in 100 grams of sugar, 100 grams of salt, 1 teaspoon white pepper (fine grind?) and 1 teaspoon of  caraway-spice, also grinded to powder.
Put it in a flat bowl and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of Akevitt/Aqua Vitae (Scandinavian caraway/potatoe spirit)
Leave it in a cold place for two days, and turn the filets twice a day..

Tørket kjøtt (Dried Meat/Jerky)
As Norway has for the last centuries, up until WW2 been a poor country, this shows in our traditional cooking   :p  
But as far as I can tell, our dried meat coarses are roughly the same as yours, except for some main ingredients. Traditionally, I believe, we used honey as a conservative, as well as salt, and of course, smoking the meat in elder/juniper and birch. Though our dried meats have mostly been sheep or ox. Though we have a dish called 'Smalahove', which translates to 'sheeps head', which is boiled/steamed and ate with a motherload of sidedishes. The eyes are said to be the best part, according to my ol' lady.
In more recent times, I know, dried sausages containing honey, elder and reindeer/caribou meat are more common and very tasty. But I have no recipies on those.

Grand Dinners
For the 'well off' people in old times, abundance in food made things easier and more interesting, so for dinners nowadays we have some traditional ways we use for a wide variety of products

Such as:
Brown Sauce, sauce made by melting butter til it became light brown, adding flour until the butter no longer is liquid. Then you add the juice from your roasted meats and stir like a lunatic. you must stir all the time or it will burn your pots. Depending on the amount of butter/flower bring it to a boil, and it will thicken. If it gets to thick ad more juices or water in small doses. When you are content with the thickness, stop adding liquide and boil on low heat until the taste of flour is gone.
Then you add pepper, salt, onions and if desirable, some sour-cream.
I also know of people who use dark mustard or a hint of coffe when making this sauce, and though it tastes well, it is not traditional.

Venison or steak was served with potatoes (always, mashed in broth/bullion or milk or more usually just boiled). Nowadays we also use carrots, brussel sprouts, sour-kraut and/or pea-stu! (It really is yummy ^^)
To really top it off we also use lingonberry, raw(with sugar) or cooked!

When meat was not dried or roasted, it was cooked, usually in a broth/bullion with carrots potatoes and onions, with pepper and salt.
But this is a waste of good venison nowadays!   :p  

If anyone has questions or comments on this, feel free to reply or message me.

Hope this was not all gibberish, and have a nice day, Svein   :)  

PS! I know the Sami have centuries of tradition in reindeer meat, but i have not found their recipies, sorry, but i will post if i find some, and remember this post.

Edited : some obvious typing errors

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Hello Svein, and welcome to TG.  Like Bill Carlsen, I also have a relative who emigrated from Norway.  My great-grandfather emigrated from Stavanger.  My wife and I visited a couple of years ago, but only got as far north as Bergen.  What with driving over, around, and through mountains and taking ferry rides over fjords we found we couldn't cover as much country in a week as we'd hoped.  It is an absolutely beautiful country however.  Again, welcome.  Hope you enjoy the camaraderie of "The Gang" and maybe even learn something.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Dax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
We had an exchange student from Norway...I believe he lived in Trondheim at one time or another and Oslo, too.  He was a great guy...Baard Vidar Petersen was his name..spelling may be off a bit.  Haven't heard from him in ages.  Anyways, pretty cool seeing you on here.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Welcome to the trad site that rocks!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©