3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow during gun season  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow during gun season
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Is anyone else going to hunt trad during the gun season. I have decided to hunt an obscure spot that the deer will retreat to when pressured by gun hunters. I'm going to stick with it, I would like to take a buck in this manner.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow during gun season
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I share land with some gun hunters while I bowhunt and never had a problem yet, they know where my ground blinds are located and so far have respected those spaces.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
I stick with the bow, have for years! I killed my first with a gun, didn't care for it! still trying to get my first trad kill. stay with it brother, somtimes them gun hunters will push them right to you!! Jason

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
I do it every gun season. in fact I dont think I have gun hunted in over 20 years or so.. just put the orange on (required here) and join them. we have some areas where the gun season is limited or closed but the majority of the state is open to rifles or muzzloaders from mid october till about the end of the year..  Here the modern gun season opens right at rut, so in alot of the state we would be missing out not to hunt... just hunt the same as if it wasnt gun season but alot of times you can use the pressure to your advantage.. Funny but it seems almost every year some one thinks I either cant afford a gun or I dont know the gun season is open... they just dont understand why I would bow hunt with a longbow or recurve when I could be blastin them..... good luck and stick with it..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
I sure wish we could bowhunt here in IL during the gun season! Maybe one of these days they will change that goofy rule but until then I just slip accross the state line to Indiana to hunt for those 7 days!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Always   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Not in IL, unless you go to one of the few spots where guns aren't allowed and they still let bows in.  Also legal in a few of the NE counties.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
I'l have to admit I go gunnin during gun season, I got a 14 year old girl that don't show much desire to bow hunt but loves gun season. gives me a chance to spend some quality time with my kids.

I let her have first crack at a buck if one shows up and I pack a gun along as well, to me it's just like going to the grocery store. Not as fulfilling as stick-n-string dut it put's meat on the table. If she doesn't go to the woods some during gun season I go to my bow spots with the ol'faithful stick and string.
 Just me trying to keep some younguns interested, Maybe some day she'll decide to take uo the trad gear (I hope) and we can begin a new journey together.
Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
I hunt with my longbow during gun season. Every year I show up at my Dad's camp and all the guys shake their heads and say, "you're gonna use that thing again"? I always have more fun then they do.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
Not everytime, my freezer is looking poor.But Ill still be doing most of my hunting close to home in bow only area.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
I do it every year. I've got faith in ya', bud...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
According to the manager of the NWR where I usually hunt, the seasons and the specified weapons for that season are fixed. Archery season begins October 1st and ends Nov 13th. During primitive weapon season either muzzleloader or archery equipment can be used. During gun season only guns may be used. During the special hog hunt days on the schedule you can hunt with any weapon approved for the other seasons based on your choice. It is illegal on this NWR to hunt squirrel or rabbit with archery equipment. During spring turkey season either shotgun or archery can be used. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for these rules other than the manager stated that the seasons are strictly what they are and the weapon approved for each season is clearly established. With the state operated WMA system they are more liberal in allowing archery during gun season. However, when using the WMA system be sure and have the regulations for that WMA straight or you might receive a citation and court date.  On the local NWR I have heard, hearsay only, that the gun hunters were complaining about bowhunters in the woods during gun season. Their logic is simple, if I can't hunt with my gun during archery season, then why should you be allowed to hunt with bow and arrow during gun season?

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
Yep, I just filled my final buck tag on the 1st day of rifle season....with my bow.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
So far I'm sticking to my recurve. Had I used a gun my doe tag would be filled. here  in Nova Scotia you can use bow during gun season. will likely finish the season using only the recurve, just more enjoyable for me
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
In Wyoming, most all of our bow seasons are the month of September. If you want to hunt later, you pretty much share with the rifles. I'm lucky that I have a bowhunting only area close for deer and antelope, but on almost all public land, the rifle is king. I'm fortunate that I can hunt mid week, so I avoid the crowds, but everything I killed this year and last year was taken with a bow during gun season.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Yes, since they started allowing it in Indiana.
Adeeden, don't feel sorry for you folks in Illinois, your gun seasons are short and not during the heat of the rut!
2 weeks solid gunning in Indiana and then 2 weeks of muzzleloader, too much gunning in my opinion.

Get out there, you never know what might happen! Good shootin, Steve

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
bow only for me!! way too much fun to stop  :bigsmyl:
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
I bowhunt though gun season when hunting private land.On the public land in this area I had just rather end my season when archery goes out.Way too crowded with too many fools for me to waste my time.I can usually have enough deer in the freezer that I don't need to get out there with them.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
I will probably bowhunt longbow & recurve but will deffently be muzzleloading I think it just goes hand in hand with trad bowhunting. Although my muzzleloader isnt "trad" its still a challenge and I love it.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
In Iowa it's illegal to bow hunt during the gun seaasons .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©