3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Uncle Barry missed... update  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Uncle Barry missed... update
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »
Congrats on the Massive deer Barry !
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2011, 06:15:00 AM »
If there was a lifetime achievement award for bowhunting, you would be the winner. Congrats on an awesome animal!   :thumbsup:

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
That's an amazing deer. Very nice U.B.!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
Really look forward to reading the story...

Take your time Barry.....and enjoy the moment.    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
Yes, I agree with Terry.  Enjoy the moment, one of the best parts of the whole hunt.  What a smoker!

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Never had a doubt in my mind that Barry would get him.  I think he waited three years just for the anticipation factor!  He was trying to outdo Charlie Lambs story telling!  Hurley has got to be really old now.  8.5 or 9.5?  Way to go Barry.  I cannot WAIT to hear the details.

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
Simply awesome!! Thanks for the pics Steve!!
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Barry,
   I remember reading that you wrote somewhere about all of the "committments and especially sacrifices" that you (and Gene) have made to live your lives like you do. Those sacrifices must be resonating now?? As Bob Urban said, thanks to you and Gene for sharing your adventures with us. Most of all...congratulations.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Can't wait for the story.  Congrats!!  Sounds like the chase itself has been quite an adventure.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
A dream buck no doubt and possibly a catalyst to encourage others to dream bigger.

Splendid harvest!

Congrats!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Wow Barry...what else is there to say? Congratulations.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
yep,  just a little guy... I think I would've gave him another year.   :thumbsup:  can't wait for the story   :campfire:    :coffee:
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
Thank you all for your patience. I'm not sure exactly how to do this so please bear with me. Sharing is half the fun and I'd like to share my success with all my brothers of the bow on TG, PBS and Stickbow. I have to admit I must be one sick dude as today is Nov. 3, 2011, it's 37 degrees out, I have a valid tag in my pocket and I'm sitting behind the computer!
I don't really know where to start because this quest encompassed years in the making. I guess I'll bring everyone up to speed starting on Oct. 28, 2009 when I missed Hurley. Live footage of him is in our latest DVD "Essential Encounters". Basically, I had a broadside shot at him but there was a horizontal branch halfway between he and I. I knew if I shot below it I'd hit him too low so tried to slide the shaft over top of the branch. I over compensated and shot right over his back. That's when I named him Hurley because I felt like hurling right about then.
A week or so later I lost control on a nice 6x5 standing broadside looking the other way and I was out. What an idiot. Last year, Halloween evening I had that B&C buck we nicknamed "Burly" do the same thing. I honestly thought about not shooting him because I had my heart set on Hurley. But a 173 3/8" 4x4 broadside under 15 yds. looking the other way was too much for me. After I shot Burly I continued to hunt with the camcorder even though I was having major camera problems. I ended up seeing Hurley five times and unfortuneately only got a few seconds of footage (which is also on Essential Encounters). The most memorable encounter he walked by at 25 yds. and the camera flashed "eject cassette" giving me zero footage and only memories. And my memory isn't so hot anymore.
But the next and most important sighting added a vital piece to the puzzle. One morning while walking out an old logging/slid road I came around a corner and there was Hurley working the overhead branch on a scrape along the road. I saw him before he saw me. I took a couple steps backwards and was digging the camera from my backpack when he stepped from the skid road and topped a small rise. Again, zero footage. BUT it gave me more knowledge of his undisturbed pattern and more importnatly, upon close inspection it revealed a very minor trail where he crossed. This episode ended up being a huge piece of the puzzle. About ten days ago while walking out after dark I came around the little dogleg in the skid trail and was shining my flashlight down the road as I walked. Something caught my eye in the exact place I saw him mentioned above. I could see two widely spaced eyes in the light and pieces of antler just above it. I had a strong feeling it was him. I turned the light out and just stood there a few minutes to let him move on hopefully without disturbing him.
A few mornings later on the way into stand in the dark I saw a smoking fresh scrape right where his little, minor trail left the skid road. Hurley tends to make very aggressive scrapes that were pawed deeply into the ground, actually making the scrapes concave. I was almost certain it was his scrape. Another piece of the puzzle.
The next morning, Oct. 29th, as Gene and I entered the skid road before light we were running a little late. I showed Gene the scrape. Because we were late, Gene took a trail camera from his pack, just set it on the ground pointing towards the overhead branch, turned it on and we walked away.
This is interesting stuff that all adds to the puzzle. That morning I never saw a single deer... zero. Gene saw two does. On the way out he pulled the chip from the camera laying on the ground. An hour later it revealed a giant bodied buck standing in the scrape but you couldn't see his head. I thought I recognized that body. Another piece of the puzzle.
That was three times I thought he'd crossed through there. We needed to get a stand in there.

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Congratulations Barry!  It was just a matter of time until you caught up with Hurley again, he just didn't know it!  Thanks for sharing.  Keith

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Congratulations Barry on a great buck and especially on your determination.  Thanks for sharing it all with us.

John

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
While you're waiting to hear the rest of Barry's story you can see a few photos of "Hurley" at  www.brothersofthebow.com  

Click on the "Latest Game Cam Images" link.  I put at least two pix of the big boy in the album, photos #30 and #31.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
On Oct. 30th mid-day I scrutinized the area. This was mature, hardwood timber with little understory. The skid road runs east/west. To the north was a little flat covered with slash then a bowl dropping down to a creek bottom. On the south side of the skid trail there was a minor ridge/finger dropping down into another creek bottom. Sign indicated he was coming from the north in the morning, crossing the skid road, following the finger ridge down into the bottom, crossing the dry creek bed and bedding on the north facing slope with the predominate south winds covering his back. This way he entered his bedding area with a head wind then positioned himself watching his backtrail while the wind covered his rear. Absolutely nothing but common sense on his part but the details we tend to overlook.
The fact it was clean, "pretty woods" was a problem. I didn't want to get too far south because his exact travel was varied and hard to be sure of. I found a decent tree in a good location. It really wasn't what I wanted but I prefer a mediocre tree in a good location over a great tree in a mediocre spot. The tree was a shag bark hickory only maybe 14 inches in diameter. Not the best tree to hide a fat guy. But there was another slightly smaller tree a couple feet away and a third a couple yards behind it to the east.
Here's where I got sneaky. The minor trail I felt he was using was about 20 yds. from the stand. I'm a 15 yd. guy. So I took the blade of my pole pruner and wisked out a new, visible trail in the dry leaves angling just slightly closer to my treestand. Then I took a five inch diameter deadfall branch that was nearby and layed it west of the north/south trail, angling it just slightly to nudge his travel to 14/15 yds. rather than 20 yds. I also added a new mock scrape along my new trail just south of where the intended shot would be, then doctored it with Smokey's doe in heat and pre-orbital. We named the stand "Goner" because of his passing it the morning of the 29th while we were gone.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
"Goner"

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Great coffee read when you are stuck inside with kiddos home from school. The school should never give kids two days off in the middle of rut, what are they thinking:)
My kids are loving this thread UB! My son said maybe this means Mom will get her missed deer back too. I told him I never miss;)
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I wanted a SW wind to hunt the stand. The morning of Oct. 31st I got it. Additionally, a cold snap came through and the temps dropped to 24 degrees. Perfect. Now remember, the day before I never saw a deer and Gene saw two does. It was like someone flipped the switch. That morning I saw 39 deer including seven bucks. They were running/chasing all around me. I passed up a great up and comer "almost" 6x6, 4 yr.old that would go around 150 inches as he chop-stepped a doe with a pretty face 12 yards in front of me. But no Hurley.

The morning of Nov. 1st dawned clear but the temps warmed up 20 degrees. I again had my preferred SW winds at maybe 8 MPH. I don't often sit a stand two days in a row but this was just too perfect. This is an important piece of the story in that I have always liked an "almost wrong" wind as long as it's directionally consistent. In otherwords, he was angling in from the NNW from across the skid road, then heading due south to his bedding area. The SW winds would give him the false sense of security of a nose wind. The stage was set.
At 8:38 I still had not seen a single deer. I assume because of the temp changes temporarily shutting down the chasing. By 8:38 the morning before I'd probably already seen 15 or 18 deer. It just goes to show you how it can turn on and off. Anyway, right then movement caught my eye across the skid road. Here comes Hurley all alone heading to the bedroom. He stopped at his scrape, sniffed around without pawing and walked in on MY new trail. I instantly turned the camera on and pointed it where I knew the shot would be. I hit the record button and watched the red light go on indicating it was recording. Now the bad news. I saw the red light go on but whether it didn't catch or whether I double clicked it when I took my finger off the trigger the fact is the camera shut down without me knowing it.

Hurley walked my trail perfect until he got to the downed limb I'd placed to shift him closer. When he got to the limb he stepped to his right and went around the far side of the barrier rather than closer to me. He angled quartering away a few yards heading into the wind, then turned broadside walking by slowly at 20 yds. I didn't dare try to stop him because I knew if I did he'd be looking and might bust me in the smallish tree I was in. So I took the shot while he slowly walked.

He never knew what hit him. I was using my beautiful Tall Tines recurve, which is a 58" takedown by good friend Brian Wessel and pulls 61 lbs at 28". The arrow was an old Cabelas skinny carbon SST 230 tipped with... guess what, a Woodsman and steel adapter weighing 250 grs. total up front. The arrow blew right through him and disappeared. My minds eye saw a liver hit. But then I started second guessing myself on the exact placement.

I lost sight of Hurley in just ten yards or so. Just to be safe I stayed in the stand until noon. When I got down I walked over expecting to see the shaft laying there but there was nothing. No arrow, no blood. I backed out quietly with intentions of going home, reviewing the footage and accessing the hit on what to do next. After I got home and found I had no footage, I again opted to play it safe and decided to not take up the trail until 3 PM. Because there was no blood I figured maybe the feathers hung up on the far side or something. We weren't on the trail for two minutes when I looked up and saw him laying dead only about 75 yds. from the shot. Thank you God for making this all happen so perfectly.

For those who are interested in the stats, he field dressed 248 lbs. and measured 190 1/8" gross as a 7x6. I may be wrong and we'll never know but I believe he would have measured over 200" in '09. Last year I noticed he dropped maybe 25 lbs. in weight and his rack probably went down ten inches or more. This year he stayed the same in weight I'd say, but he developed a basic 5x5 frame, whereas he was a basic 5x4 frame previously and had more nontypical points. Gene and I disagree on his age. I know he's at least 7.5 but I honestly think he was 9.5 this year because of a buck I think was him I saw in 2006 when (I think) he was 4.5. I'll send the teeth off for the cementum analysis but I'm not convinced they're 100% accurate. That B&C 4x4 I got last year came back that he was 6.5 and we know he was 7.5 because of previous pictures.

Here is a picture of last year's buck...Burley

At any rate, I just wanted to say thank you for all the support and friendships. I sincerely hope someone derived a little help from this story that will benefit themselves in their quest to make dreams become reality. Best of luck to all.

BW aka Uncle Barry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©