3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow vs old  (Read 152 times)

Offline Neutron

• Trad Bowhunter
New bow vs old
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Got my kid a jaguar takedown 40# and its pretty fun to shoot.  I bought some Fred Eichler dvds to get him into the spirit of shooting a recurve.  I am thinking about getting recurve for me to go stump shooting with him and for still hunting.  I used to shoot traditional and made a couple of selfbows but my shoulder is bad and I went to a compound (sin of all sins.)  Can't decide between something inexpensive and new like another jag or a samick or going for a old vintage pearson or something like that.  When buying old fiberglass bows are there buying tips posted anywhere on the site, I could not find any in a search.  I once had a Martin hunter that got what looked like little stress lines in the finish or glass layer, are those fixable or is a bow with those doomed? Also I could not find a thread "Trad/History Forum, click on Restoration 101" that was referenced in another post.  What older bows should I look for?  My top criteria are smooth to draw/shoot and don't stack at 29" draw? Are there any shorter AMO length bows that draw easy to 29" so they could be shot out of a blind? I will probably stay under 50#.  Thanks

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow vs old
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I would check out lost creek longbows very smooth and an AWESOME bow and the price is GOOD!!!!! cant go wrong  www.lostcreekbows.com
and as far as recurves i heard the samick stingray for $220.00 is a good bow good luck.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow vs old
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
You can try just about any old Shakespeare.  I've never found one to stack.  I shoot a 54" Super Necedah with at 30 1/2" draw.  Finger pinch, but no stack!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©