3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kids R/D Longbow  (Read 218 times)

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
Kids R/D Longbow
« on: November 16, 2009, 03:21:00 AM »
G,day guys. After a bit of help. My Dad wants to make my 3 year old son a R/D Longbow for Christmas but we have no idea on what thickness laminations etc to use. The bow will be 42" amo and we would like it to be about 15#@14". Would anyone know what size laminations to use? We would also like to use black glass on the face and belly. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids R/D Longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
I think that's way too heavy for a 3 year old. 10#@18" is more like it. Try a single, .100" parallel and .030 glass, back and front. Make the limbs about 1"x 1/2" wide. You can always shorten it a litle if it's too light.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks Chuck. Its more a bow for him to grow into a little while he still plays around with his little all glass bow.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
I made a flat longbow for my 3 1/2 year-old grandson with just two thicknesses of walnut.  Total thickness is 3/16" and it pulls about 8 pounds.  It had only one thickness last year.  I'm thinking of adding a strip of glass on the face for next year.  So-o-o-o-o to answer your question, I guess I'd get the thinnest glass I could and you'll still probably need to make very narrow limbs to hold the draw weight down enough.  Not really the kind of answer you were looking for, but that's the best I can do.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©