3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you beat Buck Fever???  (Read 407 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you beat Buck Fever???
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Hey all,

Me again, LOL.  Missed again Thursday last week.  Wasnt a beast but a buck that i would have been proud of.  Shot right over his back again. I guess it is possible that he jumped me but my gut says I just missed.  The aggrevating thing is that after missing I shot the rest of my arrows at leves, etc.. and was dead on.  

Seems like once I make the decision to shoot and start to put pressure on the string it all turns to a purple haze until everything is all over.  I assume this is buck fever!!!  Does this happen to others (I assume it does) if so how do yall conquer the beast?  I have started whispering "Lip, Spot, Release" during practice.  My plan is develop this habit and maybe it will snap me out of the haze.  Dont know seems like the real cure is just to keep on keeping on.

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you beat Buck Fever???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
If you are hunting from a tree stand don't forget to bend at the waist.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Phil Muller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
If you can, draw on him, lock on, and don’t shoot.  Wait at anchor knowing and telling yourself “I got him!”.  Wait for that confidence and then let’er rip!

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
What helped me was see as many animals(Elk)during the year to the point that seeing one was common.Breathing/meditation exercises also help.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
You have to really concentrate on your shot sequence. I assume you practice a lot so when the time comes to make the shot just trust the shot and forget about everthing else.

And of course pick a spot pick a spot pick a spot.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
The "purple haze" is caused by not breathing.  I've had it and have almost passed out.  Purple in the middle and black around the edges.  Don't hold your breath!!

Keep telling your self to breath.  It also gives you something to keep in your head besides "don't miss"

Mike
Mike Westvang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
I think the Dont Miss is a big thing.  Missed three times this year and am having a hard time getting that out of my mind.  This isnt my first rodeo but sure feels like it. LOL

Caleb

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
as soon as I feel buck fever I allow it to take control for a 10 seconds.  After that is over I put it out of my mind and concentrate on shot sequence.  If I don't get it it out of my system I will be fighting it and not concentrating.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
I've found that being around the animals and getting that first one of the way helps.  Sounds to me like you need to add bend at the waist to your sequence.  Shoot some 3-D in the summer and have the pressure of people watching you.  Good practice.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Good thoughts everyone.  Especially the conscious thought to bend at the waste.

C

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
I beat buck fever by shooting does.  To beat doe fever I shoot a spot on a doe.  I like to run through my shot sequence while on stand every once in a while to keep it fresh in my head.  I imagine every part of the shot and how it feels in detail.  I like to play out as many shot scenarios as possible before hand so I snap into a shooting plan and shot sequence easily.  I know how far I will shoot, and where I can shoot as well as bow clearance well before I have to make a shot.  I find it helps if I have nothing more than the shot sequence to concentrate on doing.  I never like to be on stand totally unprepared just setting there day dreaming for hours, and then all of a sudden I have to make a shot.  When I see a deer coming I start to run the shot sequence in my head just to give me something to occupy my mind and push the shot sequent to the front of my mind.  Because I usually see a lot of deer that don’t even come close to shot opportunities, I find I get a lot of practice on this.  I don’t want to start counting points, judging size, figuring what my shooting range will be or anything like that.  As soon as I see a deer I start to pick the spot and get ready to shoot it.  I prefer to make the shot my conscious thinking and let the judging of if I will shot be the subconscious thing that just happens.  I also find it really helps to practice drawings on deer I don’t want to shoot.  That can really calm the nerves.  However, I am not very picky so I have to be careful I don’t just shoot one.  Three years ago I double bucked on opening day and used up my restricted tag on a really small 7 pt.  I had shot a smaller one about an hour earlier.  The second buck make three passes and I thought it would be good practice to draw on him and run through the shot.  When it all comes together it can be hard for me to keep hold of that string.  I also did it once on a nice doe once in the peak of the rut.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
bending at the waist is everything.I went through the same thing. also pick a spot.an dont jerk to see if you hit em.just follow through.if you hit him you will know it.

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
I'm right there with you. I missed a monster buck and a nice doe this year. I have to agree with the advice ofbreathing and bending at the waist.It helped me out.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I have to agree with the breathing.As a shooting coach in the Marines the acronym BRASS is what we teach:Breath Relax Aim Stop Squeeze(or release)if you practice this while target shooting it will become second nature.And do bend if your in a tree.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
I personally dont think there is a way to "beat it", I think there is a way to try and control it though. Im still searching for a way to control it.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
You need to have some fever when a deer comes by or you might as well shoot 3-d deer. If it is out of control thats another story.The racing heart beat thats what keeps me comming back after 26 years and 21 bowkills time and time again. Good luck.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©