3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: foam core???  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: foam core???
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
I have to find out why all the Korean Olympic shooters (I've heard) are going back to wood. Anyone know? I've carbon in three of my bows.
I'm not adverse to any materials in limbs, I just haven't heard anything definitive yet that would make me want to spend more money. I'm annoyed with myself already that I keep upgrading my cell phone all the time!          :rolleyes:                  :D      

I'd still like to see a "blindfold test" where you didn't KNOW you were shooting foam. There are so many other products that have come out with new materials only to later be abandoned for various reasons. I see this in skiis all the time-as they need to flex, return and minimize vibrations as do bows. I'm constantly seeing "new cores" show up there as well; my experience in that sport probably contributes a bit to my cynicism here.

I've always really appreciated Mr. Morrison's honesty particularly and I am not doubtling anyone elses honesty/impressions. I may well be completely wrong! Hopefully I'll get to try out more of these foam bows on the PigGig!      :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Regardless of what you shoot, over the years it seems to me that the biggest error archers make, trad archers in particular, is that they fail to tune their equipment correctly. You can have the best foam core limbs, ILf riser, tricked out to the limit, but if your arrows are not tuned to the bow or vice versa, you don't practice enough, can't identify and correct shooting problems you have, you are not going to shoot well or at least consistently well. Over time products, materials and designs will evolve. If foam turns out to be a flash in the pan then it will  be just that. There was a lot, a whole lot of flap over aluminum shafts when they first were talked about being used as hunting arrows. Same thing happened with fiberglass and then carbon arrows. Take a look around. Lots of things have changed since I got my first bow in 1951. But the basics still apply. Arrows and bows must be tuned to each other and the archer needs to use good form. Everything else is a personal choice.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
Steve come up to Rutland and you can try same weight limbs with both cores.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Littlefeather:
I want that old Morrison of yours JC. The curve you were shooting when we filmed the bunny bust. Still got it? CK
Sadly brother, I sold it before Bob developed his longbow limbs for the Cheyenne. I sure wish I had that riser back...   :banghead:  

I think the speed foam in and of itself contributes is marginal, it's a very small side benefit. But to me, the smoothness, sound characteristics, and that ethereal quality of "it just shoots better" are the reason for foam. My eye opening test was shooting foam core exclusively for a couple of months and then putting on the same poundage boo core limbs....the boos went up for sale the next day. Can I quantify why? Nope...but it was still real.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I have to tell what I did just yesterday. Before hunting I was doing some leaf shooting with a set of carbon Maple limbs, I had tested these next to foam and Carbon, speed was the same, that is were everything changes. Draw feel was close, Foam a little sweeter, At the shot no comparision. Foam is worth the extra $35. Dead quiet no vibration. I now have a set of Carbon Maple limbs for sale.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
I've been holding off on using foam Bob. You just convinced me LOL.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Jeez Bob, Now that you've said that, how are you going to get rid of all your wood stock?! I feel a sale coming on!      :D    :thumbsup:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
I have three sets of longbow ILF Morrison limbs. All are Carbon Foam and they are fantastic. One thing about them is they have a very high brace height weight and they make up several pounds on any bows that I have except for a carbon BW PL.
I'm also a Pronghorn man and I've seen the new foam core/glass limbs at the same time with several bows of different wood cores; actionboo, ash, and red elm. The foam core bow was noticeably lighter in the hand and just as fast on the crono, actually picking up a few pounds (shooting as fast as a heavier bow with the same arrow) on some of his bows there at the time.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
I have foam core limbs on my Morrison Cheyenne's and I can say that I have never shot limbs as smooth or as quiet.  I'm sold on them.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
I have foam core limbs on some of my Shrews and Morrisons. I prefer the foam cores to the boo cores in my other Shrews and Morrisons for the same reasons mentioned by JC and others. Design and quality of the bow are still the overriding factors for me, but the foam does give significant improvement in the limbs I have used compared to otherwise identical limbs from the same bowyer. Bob Morrison is the one who made a believer out of me and Ron LaClair and Gregg Coffey confirmed my beliefs. Now that Arvid Danielson has gone to foam and David Knipes is praising its virtues, I am positive the foam is a good material for limb cores.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
I too had Boo Limbs first for my Morrison Cheyenne very nice limbs fast,quiet,and just a nice set of limbs. Since then I have bought foam core and foam/carbon core cheyenne limbs they are even faster,quieter, and smoother feel to them when I draw. Myself thats all I will buy now this could be different in other bow designs but foam works in the Cheyenne.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
I found this old thread here and thought i'd ask if there has been any changes of heart since this thread started.  i'm considering doing some prototyping with foam cores myself now, and thought i'd ask you seasoned vets, both archers and builders alike what you think about this stuff after some time has passed...

Thanks.... Kirk

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
I have a foam core Pronghorn coming in the next couple weeks. From reading this discussion, I think I'll like it. I'll let you all know.

I ordered a 58", 3 piece, green staind actionwood or laminate riser, with green glass, foam core limbs.

I can't wait to break it in on an antelope in about 6 weeks. Should be a great little bow for hunting out of a blind.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Mark Zagrzebski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
I had a used set of carbon/foam limbs I picked up.  Had limb blowup at the wedge about 3 weeks after I got them.  Have never had this happen with wood core limbs.  Out of luck as far as warranty, makes me hesitant to try another set.

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
I just bought a set of foam/glass limbs for my Morrison Cheyenne here on the classifieds. They are very smooth and quiet. Still working out a good arrow set up for these limbs and they are pretty fast as well. Would like to try a set for my Shawnee too. Overall, I am pleased with these limbs.....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Foam is light and actually very consistent, it gives the limb a very smooth feeling on the draw compared to anything I have used. All my new ILF limbs will have a foam core. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
I still can't tell the difference in a set of Bamboo limbs and Foam limbs.  All of Bob's limbs are great!

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Foam core limbs are quiet and smooth. I have not had any issues.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
I have LOTS of foam core limbs in Morrisons and Shrews and think it is perfect in all but my heaviest poundage bows. I have had zero problems with the limbs, including a near dry fire when nock broke recently.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
I'll try anything once.  Where do ya'll get the foam laminations?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©