3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How soon after gun season?  (Read 422 times)

Offline geales

• Trad Bowhunter
How soon after gun season?
« on: November 17, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
I normally hunt my own property which is 40 acres of some woods and row crops. This year has been very slow with all of the corn still standing. I also have about 600 acres of public ground close that I can hunt. I have scouted somme of the ground. This ground is very rough with steep draws and bigger timber. It is bordered in several areas by pasture ground. It receives moderate archery pressure that anyone can hunt. Gun season is this weekend and only 9-10 people are drawn to hunt this area then. Would Monday be a waste of my time? Any suggestions for hunting this type of ground. I have always hunted a mix of woods and cropland before. My plan was to use a climber and get as far away from the road as I can on Monday and sit a ridge line. Thanks for the help.

George
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How soon after gun season?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
I here ya George. I'm in about 30 acres. The deer have been holding their cards tight to the vest up my way too. (Rock Island County) The guy across the road seems content to let his corn dry in the field. I've seen the same 5 does coming out late. Only saw 2 bucks so far and they're always too far off. Maybe all the gun hunters from the other side of the road will send them all over to my neck of the woods. I won't get a chance to hunt until the next weekend though.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
easy answer...you cant kill anything sitting inside...get in the woods and find the thickest spot available...even if you have to hunt the ground in the brush....wind in the face..sit still and be ready!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
If your property isn't pressured during gun season then the deer may seek refuge there.  Monday may be just the time to score.  On the other hand, if the gun hunters sit tight and don't push the deer a lot then the gun season may not affect them at all.

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Your lucky only one weekend with gun. We have youth gun this weekend then a week later we have a week long gun season. Then 2 weekends later we have another 2 day gun season, then 2 weeks later a primative weapons season. The pressure around this area is bad and the deer wont settle down till the middle of Janurary.

Offline geales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Unfortunately gun season gets a lot of pressure around me. I killed a really nice deer 3 years ago during gun season and now 3 of my neighbors sit REAL close to my property. Jmatt, gun season is now off and on until the end of bow season here. I will try to go in deep and see what happens. My deer have been mostly nocturnal. I'm not sure if it is because I pressured them too much this year.
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
We had a youth hunt modern gun season weekend before last and modern gun season opened this last weekend and runs for 3 weeks.  I use gun hunters for an advantage.  Hunt funnels coming out of open areas, be in your stand early and stay late are my gun season rules. Gun hunters moving in at daylight and leaving at about 10am will move the deer around.  It has worked for me for years now.  Plus you get to check in deer holding your stick bow when the other guys need a rifle.  :archer:    :goldtooth:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
Every day in the woods just gets you one day closer to succsess.Deer recieve pressure throughout the year.It doesn't sound like this is what I would consider really heavy pressure.I have killed deer right in the middle of gun season before so just go and keep hunting.good luck!
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©