3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new Robertson need help on arrow choice  (Read 407 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
new Robertson need help on arrow choice
« on: November 17, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
I have a new Robertson Primal Styk coming, should be here the middle of next week.  It is 53#@28" and is a 66" longbow.  I want to shoot wood out of this one. I have another Robertson that is 66" 67#@28", i shoot aluminum out of it because i could not get wood to fly right.  I would like soem suggestions on which wood to use for shafting.  I like heavy arrows. has anyone used the laminated arrows with success.  I don't know much about wood, so help me out if you can.   :help:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new Robertson need help on arrow choice
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Nice choice on bow. I have 3 Robertsons and really like them alot. I had a Robertson longbow but sold it this spring when I switched to lefty shooting.

I have shot both POC and D.Fir out of mine and both flew great.

What were the issues you were having? In my experience I had to go to a shaft that was 5 to 10# higher than the draw weight. Are you drawing to 28" or beyond? What alum shaft are you shooting?
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Go with spruce or poc or doug fir, I have a Robertson longbow and it shoots wood great.  I use arrows that are spined @ 10lb-15lb higher than the draw weight.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
I have a few Robertson longbows and they are very fond of wood arrows.  You have made a great choice.  According to Dick's website, the Prymal Styk is cut to 1/8" past center, altho I would want to confirm that; 1/8" OUT from center seems more real.  This will have a great bearing on the spine needs along with your arrow length.  My Mystical and Vision shoot well spined close to draw weight, but that is with a 26.5" arrow and 160 gr point.

How heavy are you wanting to go?  I've had pretty good luck with the laminated birch, but my 55-59 lb 26.5" arrows are 550 gr WITHOUT points.  You will be able to get 600-650gr with fir, esp if you use 160-190 gr points.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
Jcar315 I could get the arrows to fly great for a few weeks, then, all of the sudden I would get flight like they were over or under spined. Left or right severely. I am shooting a 2117 xx75 @29.5" with  an inserted Zwicky Delta 4 blade @ 175gr and pulling about 28.75"

Fletcher My Mystical is the bow that was giving me trouble with woodies.  It is 67#@28 and I pull 28.75".  I would guess about 69#.  Sounds like fir is the way to go. I shoot a 175gr head and a 190gr.  Fir sounds like it would get my FOC % up with that weight of head.  I will try these woods out, thanks guys.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
I'm a very dedicated wood arrow guy, so I believe that any bow will shoot well with the right wood arrow.  I have a pretty good assortment of trial arrows if you want to try some.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
The bow that I will have a strictly wood will be a 53#.  I have been told that I will need a little heavier spine than what is called for, If you have somthing around that area I would appriciate it.  I will pay for shipping. PM me if you want to.
Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©