3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whats the best glue on nocks for woodies...  (Read 755 times)

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
whats the best glue on nocks for woodies...
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
I'm new to wood arrows I like how my easton super nocks fit on my string. Is there a glue on nock that has a tight fit resembling the easton super nocks?
Thanks
Bob

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: whats the best glue on nocks for woodies...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Love me some Bohning classics
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I like the Marco nocks from black widow and they're only $1.00 a dozen.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
tt
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
You can probably make any plastic nock as loose or as tight as you wish by varying your string and serving or by heating the nock in hot water and re-molding the fit of the throat.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Any other opinions out there.
Thanks

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Bohning Classic. They just seem to go well with wood.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Yeah,I like a "soft" plastic nock that will bend,and isn't so ridgid,that doesn't help much I know because I buy large quantities of cheap nocks at trad-shoots I really don't know what brand they are( or style,pardon my ignorance)but seem to remember that most of what I get are ugly,plain,or an un-desireable color,the semi clear nocks red,chartreuse,etc. that I've had tend to be pretty hard and not very condusive to bending,to "tune" them to my string/serving I usually bite down on the very tip of the nock to tighten up, if it's too tight a butter-knife blade will let you gradually wedge the space back open to where you want it.Gorilla nock tuning.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
I like the Snap-on nocks. They are not soft. They are sturdy and I don't have to worry about them changing or breaking. If you need to make the groove wider just pull some 220grit through once or twice.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Personally I like Nirks. They fit my 14 strand b-50 strings just right.
Gary

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
I have no idea how the Bohning Classics compare to the Eastons, but the Bohning is all I use on wood arrows unless somebody requests something different.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
I also am not familiar with the Easton nocks but you say you like a strong fit, do you mean a real positive snap?

If so, can I ask why?  Not being a smart aleck, just wondering what advantage you feel it is.  I've always liked a friction fit over a snap nock.  My favorite was the Mercury speed nocks but several years ago, the quality really dropped off and I quit buying them.  Certain colors were worse than others.  For example, I bought gray and yellow.  The gray were all ok but the yellows.... well, I threw away 54 out of 100 for being lopsided.

Back then, I wanted to find another nock like the Mercury but couldn't.  The next closest thing and the brand that came highly recommended by people I trusted was the Bohning Classic and I've been using them ever since.  They are sort of a semi snap nock.  There is definitely a "snap" or detent but it is milder than most snap nocks and depending on the diameter of your string may give different fits.  I usually do a VERY light sanding with some fine paper just to weaken the snap bumps until I get the fit I want.  They are very consistent and quality seems excellent regardless of the color of the plastic.

Plus, one thing to think about, a looser nock will help your arrow fly better and will also be noticeably quieter.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
Dave,
I use to like a looser fit arrow until I pretty much dry fired my bow more than once when the nock came of the string pulling the bow back. It really scared me when I had a broadhead on when it happened. If you have ever shot an easton arrow that had a super uni bushing on the end and not a taper it had the nocks Im talking about or beman arrows. I guess I like it tight enough that the arrow doesnt fall off, but if its nocked and I can take my finger from the back and pop it off if that makes any sence. Especially here in oregon where the strings are known to get wet occasionally.
I think I'll buy a dozen bohning classics and a dz marcos and see how they fit.
Thanks for the replys
Bob

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Hey Bob, I'll send you a dozen of my old Mercury index nocks with the barreled poplar shafts you ordered from me. They're from the good stuff, bought about 15 years ago before the quality went down. I have a good supply of yellow and can share, no charge. It's all I use.

I should get them out to you this weekend.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks Don! cant wait to make them up. I like wrapping and fletching mine and my family and friends carbons so I have a feeling I'll probably get addicted in making wood arrows. Is the stains and say mini wax clear sealers ok from Lowes or home depot?
Bob

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
Bob, I've used the Minwax products successfully many times. The only problem I've had using the polyurethane products is that the finish tends to stick tight in 3D targets. When I shot 3D regularly, I used gasket lacquer because it didn't do that. On these yellow poplar shafts, which are more porous than most species, I like to use a penetrating sealer first, with or without a stain, and then top coat with either Minwax poly or the gasket lacquer. Most recently, I've quit using the stain because I've learned that I shoot better in dim light with a lighter colored shaft.

If my nocks are tight, I use a tiny gunsmith's file to relieve them a bit, or sandpaper. If they're loose, I build up the string a bit at the nocking point with dental floss or something similar. Don't bite them- that can cause the nock to break, resulting in a dry-fire, and it can really burn your arm in the process. I haven't tried the hot water method, but I understand it works well.

I want them to fit the string snugly, but pop off with just a slight push from behind. Too tight, and it can affect your arrow flight and be noisy.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Saunders NPV Adhesive for Fletching AND Gluing Nocks to Woodies.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I love self nocks. You can make them tighter or loser and they NEVER fall off, Brake if it gets to cold. Well That's me

Offline Squirrelbane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
bohning classic

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Bob, the MinWax stains and poly will work very well.  I much prefer the oil base.  Three coats, steel wooled or sanded between coats.  If you wipe the poly on you can use it straight from the can.  If you dip, thin it w/ a good mineral spirits/paint thinner about 3-4 to 1.  A thinner coat dries harder and won't have so much of the "target burn" issues that Don mentioned.  Nock and fletch can be installed with Duco or NPV.  Have fun and plan on doing more.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©