3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Acadian Woods Build-Along - Tim Finished - Take a Look How it Turned Out  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Acadian Woods Build-Along - Tim Finished - Take a Look How it Turned Out
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
Tim,  This is just what I like to show people who want to know why a true custom made bow cost as much as some do...I for one appreciate the time you guys put into these bows and with the price of materials and certain woods really wonder how you can put bread on the table...I know it has to do with really loving the true meaning of building it with the hands "God" gave ya and at times when ever I get out in the shop and make arrows, strings or even a new leather wrap on my bow I sit back and wonder now how did I ever learn such a craft and I give the praise's to "He" who created me...Man I don't know how you can do such pretty work and details with those "Giant Paws" you have but keep it comeing and Thank You for showing us all the hard work that go's in to a bow...God Bless, Keefer's <")))><

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
Alright...fianlly a few more pics..Tim had a little trouble matching my limb weight with the first set of limbs..so he built another pair.  Got perfect this time.   Here are a few pics of the second set of limbs and Tim putting on the Moose horn tips!

Should have some more pics tomorrow...Tim expects to finsih the bow this weekend.  I'll post some more pics of the additional limb overlays, antler limb bolts, Tim appling the finish and leather grip!

Take care

Michael

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
What Keefer's said regarding the "custom vs production" thread that's running on the PowWow..could not be more true.  Having built several bows my self and knowing the hours it took me to build a bow that ends up 1/3 as nice as a custom bow...its a wonder these guys stay in business.  

Assuming 10 - 15 hours of labor to build a custom bow (in my case it took me about 20 hours on average) and the cost of wood/fiberglass...lets assume $150 in materials (proably on the low end given the costs of highend materials these days), and ignoring the cost of equipment and its maintenance (replainc blades, belts, etc)...they way i see it these guys are getting paid less than $57/hour.

Cost per hour = $1000 (Cost of bow) - 150 (cost of materials) = $850/15 (hours to build a bow) = $56.67!!!

Now lets put that into context...lawyers bill anywhere from $150 - $1,000/hour...and they sure don't give you a beautiful bow at the end of their 8 hour day...for roughly the same cost!

So where am i going with this....Support your Bowyers!!!.....Thanks Tim!!!!

Michael

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
A great thread and beautiful bow!
Thanks for sharing

Offline Tim Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Michael,thank you for your kind words and support !!!I really enjoyed building your bow.It will be ready to pick up sometime next week  and mean while,I`ll send more pictures as it gets completed. Thanks again !!!

Keefer,I could`nt agree with you more.I thank GOD every day for all his wonderfull blessings that he continues to give me every day.
It truly is Magic to me also to build and create these beautiful bows all the time asking GOD,how can I make these better.I look at the completed bows and think there`s no way,but building these things is a continuous refining of ideas and methods that is just simply has to be directed by GOD.
I truely hate to send some of these bows out  to my clients being selfish and wanting to keep them here to just admire and maybe show someone that happens to come by for a visit.
I`m sorry to run on too much about this calling of mine ,but I see treads from time to time about the cost of ,or how long it takes to build this bow ,or that bow  and I`ve really got to say that for me ,it`s definately not about the money.The ugly reality is that we all have to have it to get along in this world  and I know that there`s been lots of other jobs that could have made me lots more of the green stuff,but my wife and I have really enjoyed and embraced this bow building buisness for going on 18 years now.

Thanks again,Tim------Acadian Woods

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Tim, you are a man after my own heart. I get in building a bow and asking Jesus what I should do next. Its just awsome having God show you . He gave me all my bow designs and as David said he teaches my hands to war. He gets all the glory and I have most of the fun. I glorify God in everything I do and he makes it all work. Its just an awsome thing and I apprecieate you saying what you just said. It makes me feel great to know that someone else was taught by God and knows it and glorifys him in it. I have always admired your work. Now I know Why ,. God Bless  Steve

Offline Tim Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Amen

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
One more thing Tim. Keep those fingers a little further away from that bandsaw when you cut that horn. Poleeeeeeeeezzzzzze (grin)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Oh < I see you are pulling the Horn, Sorry

Offline Tim Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
10/4 will do Hahahaha
Thanks,Tim

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Alright...just made it back from New York...no offense....but you can have Park Avenue NY...I guess I'm not a big city kind of boy.

Now for some fun.  See the below pics as Tim transforms the rough limb tip overlays into some beautiful and graceful limb tips.

Now for the final weight in...exactly 50# at 29 1/2 inches...just as ordered!!! And some final tillering.

The only thing left is a few more limb overlays...as if the bow was not pretty enough already LOL!..applying the finish, building the limb antler bolts and adding the leather grip and rest.

Looks like I'll have a new bow under the tree just in time for Santa Clause.  i guess i was a good bow this year!!

Enjoy

Michael

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Sorry for the freudian slip...meant to say "i guess i was a good boy this year"  LOL...I guess i got bow on my mind!

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
Tim,   Antler really makes a bow and those look great...I've really enjoyed this thread Tater and you are going to be one happy spud..Keefer's <")))><  :D

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Great post and a awesome bow.   :thumbsup:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline rkmnt2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
One of trad bow buildings finest craftsmen in my opinion. Awesome work Tim!
    Don

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Inspirational!  Asthetically, materially, functionally, intellectually and spiritually.  Great work, thanks for the build along.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
Man ChristopherO I had to go look up them words...I might have to try using them on the Mrs....  :goldtooth:

Offline JJ1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Thank.s for showing us how a beautiful bow comes together.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©