3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need basic advice - bowhunt during gun ?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
Need basic advice - bowhunt during gun ?
« on: November 19, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Never done it, never even hunted deer
with a gun. I'm a tad nervous...er do I need
to dig a fox-hole? Wear a helmet? Complete my will?
It's public land, with all of the "ensuing variables".

All I've ever heard are those anecdotal stories....

Thanks
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need basic advice - bowhunt during gun ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
We can't anyway, but hey, just ask Guru about that.  :scared:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
I will say that if they are driving or pushing deer try and back hunt them if not get up in a tree and wear orange and pay attention cause they(the gun hunters) probable wont be.A few gun hunters I know think that if they through enough led they will get the deer and in my opinion accuracy doesn't appeal to them,they like the challenge of a long uncontrolled shot.BE CAREFUL!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Craig Loberger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Unless something changed bow closes after today till Nov 30. That being said i would not go near the public land by me even with a full kevlar body suit on opening weekend. After that it is pretty quiet. Maybe the people that live near Madison are not that crazy though.  :)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
It's my favorite method. I'm lucky to have two state properties bordering each other. One is archery only, so guess where the deer run to when the shooting starts ?
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Tim, It's illegal in Wisconsin.  Someday it may get changed to any weapon, but not anytime soon.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
I'd go early or stay late, be willing to walk in a ways, always wear orange a light and keep you eyes open for other hunters. Craig said it right, you could not drag me in there on opening day!! Jason

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
Don't do it.  Stay home.  Orange or no orange.  You had your season.  Now it's theirs.  It's not worth the scare or aggravation mixing bowhunters and rifle hunters in the same woods.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I called up the DNR, they said the archery season runs Sept.12 thru Jan. 3rd, 2010.
This is in a CWD/EAB zone.
Surprised me too, that's why I called them.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
I can't offer any advice on hunting public land, unless it is huge like some of the wilderness areas out west or the Everglades, then I would say "find the thick stuff, and don't move around unless necessary"
I hunt a private timber company lease, and I have bowhunted during gun season.  It is tough as down here running deer hounds is legal.  I go out late morning, and hunt through lunch when a lot of hunters return to camp for lunch.  I've seen deer and hogs "sneaking" back to their bedding areas after being spooked by dogs, atv's and hunters.
Hunting early morning or late evening is futile here, the deer go nocturnal pretty quick.  I have never taken a shot with a bow during gun season, but I have seen game.
If I do carry a bow, I also carry a .41 or .44 revolver in case I can get a shot out of bow range,........or I just grab a rifle and join the crowd!
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
It's different wearing red plaid instead of ASAT. Here is a buck I took a few years ago opening day in New York...

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline pharcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
No offense, but why is there the opponion here that people who hunt public land are somehow more irresponsible and recless than private land hunters? In fact, can anyone here produce any stats on hunters per acre  in public vs. private land? I'd be willing to bet that these days the private land is more heavily hunted with all of the QDMA and management hubub, not to mention that private lands usually hold better deer numbers than do public offerings. I hunt ALOT on public land and yes I do see a fair number of hunters, funny thing is they are ususalyy at camps or by the road, I see very few while I am actually hunting. However on the private land I hunt 100 acres has a boundry that you can find fast expecially with any more than 2-3 ppl hunting it. Just my 2 cents, enjoy your hunting and follow the same good advice that applies to any public land hunting. Find a spot that the crowd has overlooked or hike a bit farther back from the parking areas. You will be fine!
I am the man that I am because I am loved, because I know the value of family, and Christ remains at the center of my life.
45# 66 model Bear Super Kodiak
45# Browning Cobra1
55# Hoyt Gamemaster

Offline pharcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
lol please forgive all my typos I cant watch the screen and type at the same time, and I dont usually proof read my post for spelling!
I am the man that I am because I am loved, because I know the value of family, and Christ remains at the center of my life.
45# 66 model Bear Super Kodiak
45# Browning Cobra1
55# Hoyt Gamemaster

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
When I (bow) hunt during gun weeks, I tend to sit on escape routes and let the gun guys push stuff around.

pharcher - it's not public land hunters that are a problem (imo), it's the guys who literally get out only once a year (or only once ever) *and* have their entire concept of their manhood dependent on whether or not they can kill a deer.  In my experience, public land (around here anyway) is crawling with those guys during gun week.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Do not use white feathers! It's a good way to get yourself shot. My buddy was mistaken for a deer but was not fired on. The gun hunter swore he was a deer with white tail but he couldn't tell if he was a buck or doe. It shook both of them up!

I'll carry a bow during gun season but I'm in a small woodlot that rifle hunters don't use. I would not use a bow in the midst of gun hunters. If you shoot a deer it will probably run to someone else and get blasted.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I was told that as long as there is a Season, you can hunt with a Bow. Just be sure to BUY the TAG for whatever Season is in at the time and BE CAREFUL!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 04:28:00 AM »
While wearing orange blaze, I was shot at not once, but 5 times.  Some 20 something thought I was a deer and shot.  He kept on shooting even after I jumped behind the tree.  It is a special treat to hear a shotgun slug whiz by your head.  There are those that are responsible with guns and those that are not.  I don't care to be out there to filter out the good and bad hunters.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Iam lucky we have a bow section right by my house .No guns allowed.this can be a great place to hunt during gun season because the deer know where to hide.an they come here to hide due to lack of pressure.I mostly hunt with my bow but I am also out there with my gun as well.different strokes for different fokes.there are people just as passionat about guns an muzzeloaders as we are our bows.there season is much shorter.an it can be a nice break for a hard core bow hunter.to Regroup take a break.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
what difference does it make what you are carrying!?i've done a fair amount of gun hunting in my day--its how i started hunting--and i can't remember hearing about or seeing any gun fights--if a guy was to shoot at you -why would it matter if you have a bow in your hand??
 i do believe you have to be careful--orange isn't a mistake!!its a great time to take advantage of -off the beaten path-pathces and excape routes--late mornings hang tough and take advantage of the guys headed out to get lunch
use your head!!
Mike

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Can someone explain to me the logic behind not allowing bowhunting during general (gun) season?

Maybe I'm dense, but I can't think of a situation where it makes intuitive sense.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©