3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need basic advice - bowhunt during gun ?  (Read 651 times)

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need basic advice - bowhunt during gun ?
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
I have bowhunted on at least 10 first days of "gun" season here in PA all on public land.  And have been out another 20 unarmed.

Never have had a problem, some strange looks and a few telling me its illegal, but no problems.

I wouldn't compete with them on the open strip cut. I like to get back in the thicker stuff where the deer will retreat to.  Most often on the ground with a nice rock or tree on my back side.  Which is no different than when I carried a gun.

I don't understand the logic that to carry a bow makes you more of a target.  

GoodLuck, Jeff
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 02:50:00 AM »
So let me get this right, some of you from Wisconsin are saying that the state does not allow you to hunt with a bow during the gun season?  Is that EVEN if you are hunting with a firearms license?

If so, you all need to push for allowing the use of "lesser weapons" in your hunting seasons.  i.e. If you want to hunt with a muzzle loader, handgun, crossbow, compound or trad bow, they should all be allowed during the gun season since they are "lesser weapons" and you are voluntarily handicapping yourself.

Old York, sounds like you were told the bow season runs right through gun season in your zone?  Here in MO, bow season stops when gun season starts but you can still bowhunt on a gun permit since we have the "lesser weapon" clause.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
I bowhunted North Dakota this year, and came home with an unfilled tag for a mulie doe. It was a special tag that can be filled in any season, so I was briefly considering going back in muzzleloader season- that is, until I read the regs that state that you can only use a muzzleloader in that season. I won't go that far to shoot a doe with a gun! I can do that at home.

Didn't fill my either-sex whitetail tag either, but I saw more big bucks in a week than I've seen in my life! I'll be back...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
I bowhunt public land on the ground almost exclusively, and share the woods with responsible ( for the most part ) gun hunters and hikers with no problems. Starting today, I will wear an orange camo fleece vest, and as stated above by bamboo, I will use my head. One thing that I hadn't thought of is my arrows white feathers being mistaken for deer. That could be dangerous. I'm taking my bitzenburger out of the closet right now, and fletching a few shafts with orange, or..... pink feathers   :scared:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Heh - yesterday was the start of our two day early youth gun season.  I was out there in orange, bow in hand.  The woods is always more ... jumpy when the gun guys are out but whatever.

Anyway, about 9.30 in the morning I get my bow ready because I hear one coming in from my east. Of course I didn't draw yet but I was ready to do so.  Some hiker comes around the bend with deer colored pants and two treking poles that make him sound juuuust like a big quadruped and not a stitch of orange on his body.  Did I mention this is public hunting land?  Lol - what an idiot.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
I'm with LongSticks64... find archery only areas to hunt. Those next to gun areas are perfect. Don't take the deer long to figure out where the pumpkin suits aren't!! Either that or hunt harder and a little farther back in.

For your own safety.. if you're going to hunt gun areas with a bow.. wear the Hunter Orange too!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
The LandOwner that I hunt on, doesnt Mind WHAT Weapon You use! As Long As The Weapon IS Legal AND You have the Correct Deer Tag & License for the Season. EVERYONE that Hunts his Land KNOWS that the Archery will be there when the Guns come Out too, so we kinda look after each other.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©