3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Entering your trophys in pope and Young or other record keeping programs  (Read 2318 times)

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm just curious of how many folks enter there trophys in any of the record keeping programs?

I have never had a critter officialy scored or entered myself, and have mixed feelings as of why. I am more curious than anything what everyone's thoughts are on the subject!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Entering your trophys in pope and Young or other record keeping programs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
If I was a Head hunter, trophy hunter, rack hunter what every way you want to say it. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever put them in those books. The reason is.… I can't seeing taking away inches because one tine is longer then the same one on the other side… What J/A made them rules...

If I write down a total of 220" and there is 7" difference from racks (left & right) why should I gig them. Why take away from a drop tine or a Beast with 13 points. Sorry I don't get it... That's why My 180" rack isn't in any of them Dumb Ass books.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
What Mystic says!! Its a Joke
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
The only reason I'm a member of P&Y is for their conservation practices and museum.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
Me and my hunting buddy see our deer.That is all that matters to me.

I would not enter the new world record in one myself.Just don't care about the way they turned hunting into a competetion like a bass tournament or something. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
I have only ever shot one nice animal (trophy wise) my entire life.  I haven't had it scored, but one day when I get time I will do it myself.  I don't care for it to be in any record book.  Just the memory of the hunt is good enough for me.
>>>--------->

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
I score my own just to keep reference for myself. I don't believe in deductions. A rack is what it is. I have never entered any of my animals. I have considered entering a couple in the Compton Traditional archives though.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
I don't enter either, have several that will make it though.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
I don't enter the animals, but I do like the use of the score to help me visualize the size of the animal. It just helps me appreciate a nice animal without having to see it personally. If someone tells me they shot a 180" typical whitetail, I know they did something and took a really special animal. Likewise, if they tell me they shot a blackbear with a 20" head, I know what they are talking about. Other than that it just isn't important.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
I agree 100% with useing "score" as a decription to tell the size someone is talking about! I guess my main reason for never entering anything is that it seems there's as much focus on the "person" as the amimal.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
better question---What if someone offers you a cool million in cash for your horns all you have to do is enter it in a record book?

hmmn all ye naysayers still around?

I always hear this exact same comment --until someone shoots a book deer, then things change

if you dont like record books , I understand, but a wise ol man once said: never say never
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
you want to see your name in print then get a phone book.

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
I like the books and I love looking a mature animals, but I really hate all the negative that can and does come from that stuff too.

Not sure if I would enter it or not though.  I probably would the first one(ha!), but after that(ha,ha!) probably not.

I have no problem with anyone who has 100 or none in the books though.  It's their character that matters.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
There's a lot of good people in that book, but, unfortunately there are some that will lie and cheat just to get THEIR name in it, really takes away from what the founding fathers intended. Pathetic.
The one in my avatar would have made, but, he ain't in there.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
People will do some terrible things to kill trophy animals.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Scoring has turned hunting into a sport,which is a huge reason for the mass marketing of get your record book animal quick products being sold.I WELL NEVER PARTICAPATE IN ANY RECORDING BOOK.. but do use the system in crediting the animal.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by HornHunter:
better question---What if someone offers you a cool million in cash for your horns all you have to do is enter it in a record book?

hmmn all ye naysayers still around?

I always hear this exact same comment --until someone shoots a book deer, then things change

if you dont like record books , I understand, but a wise ol man once said: never say never
$1,000,000 and all I would have to do is enter...hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm Nope...NOT A SHOT That would be like someone making me do it.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
I'm interested in how many inches, but not interested in entering them into the book...

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
The P&Y/B&C system has given us a great method by which to be able to put a size on a rack that the rest of us can understand.  Someone earlier said it better, but when I say I shot or saw a 140" 5x5, that gives many of us here a pretty good visual picture of that deer even though we didn't actually see it.  To me, that's a good thing--it's given us a common language.  And personally, the only number I really care to use is the gross score, as so many of you have already mentioned.

I've entered a couple animals in P&Y before '91, but none since.  Nothing against P&Y as they are a very good organization and do great work for bowhunting and conservation.  The record books were originally to help prove bows were capable weapons, etc.  Human nature led to the books spawning some unsavory types; it's not P&Y's fault.

I have thought hard about entering animals since P&Y came out with a traditional book, and entering them in Compton, or even in my own state's record books.  But in the end I keep coming back to two things:  1) the cost is a bit much especially if you have a few that would make it; and, 2) why am I entering them--is it really for the animal or for my own recognition?
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Had someone ask me if I got my buck scored this year. Told him yep "8". Ya see I counted the points.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©