3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Entering your trophys in pope and Young or other record keeping programs  (Read 2319 times)

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Entering your trophys in pope and Young or other record keeping programs
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
I agree with Woodchucker.  I like the idea of a book to recognize the deer and the hunter who harvested it. I would love to harvest a "record book" deer, but it's not my focus.  However, with the prevalence of QDM and genetically supersized deer it seems to have become more of a transaction than a hunt.

I don't know about you guys, but the last place I want to hunt is a ranch where they can tell you "you can shoot this one, but not that one...he's reserved for another client."

I have looked at the record books before, and I like to scan the names to see if I know anyone, and where the deer was taken.  There needs to be a way to eliminate or note those that were taken from high fenced operations that utilize breeding programs.  

I agree with George...greed and egos have certainly spoiled things a bit.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
I thought a record book entry had to be fair chase, meaning it can't come from a fenced in ranch.  Am I wrong in this or was it that way and has since changed?  Enter the animal or don't I don't care either way, that's each persoons own choice, but if you can enter an animal from a "canned hunt" as some like to call it then that may change my oppinion.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
You can have "fair chase" on a 10,000 acre ranch.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
I see now.  That's one of those things that's all in the wording.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Pretty much, The animal has to have the ability to escape. i.e. you can't run them into a fence corner,and kill them. Large ranches even though they are "high fenced" are considered to have plenty of cover to allow the animal room to "hide and escape". In reality lots of these ranches are 5 and even 10 times a whitetail's "home range".

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
10,000 acres is only what...15 square miles?  That would be a pretty large operation if it was "high fence".  I don't think Pope and Young allows any entries from "high fence" operations unless i'm misinterpreting their rules (it is explained in the rules of fair chase).  If it is a free ranging 10,000 acres, i don't see the problem.  
Me personally, i would like to see a publication that would allow you to just enter the animal.  i belong to Pope and Young as well as Compton's and a couple of other organizations because i believe they do more to help us continue having the right to hunt rather than to hinder that right. (Man that was a long sentence).   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Yeah as a way to let people in the future know I was here.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Wow! Some of these posts are almost--ALMOST--reminiscent of the old LW! Whatever the argument is about, it shouldn't be about the P&Y Club, which played an important historical role in the development of bowhunting as we know it. Nor should it be about the individuals who make up P&Y (or Compton's), the vast majority of whom are dedicated, honorable bowhunters. That said, I made the personal decision years ago not to enter animals in any book. And that's just what it is: a personal decision, based on the overall conclusion that whatever good record books due for hunting is outweighed by the bad. That doesn't mean I have anything bad to say about anyone who chooses otherwise. Don

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Don: Does that mean I can't peruse the P&Y record book and locate your name and an entry...  ; ^ )

Everyone, stop and think for a minute what would happen if P&Y said what some of you on here want, "gee, the record book has outlived its usefulness".  You know what would happen, what do you think you would get?  Some new recording organization would appear (crap like SCI) and it would be far worse!  Careful what you wish for!

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve H.:

Everyone, stop and think for a minute what would happen if P&Y said what some of you on here want, "gee, the record book has outlived its usefulness".  You know what would happen, what do you think you would get?  Some new recording organization would appear (crap like SCI) and it would be far worse!  Careful what you wish for!
Yeah look what hope and change got us.   :smileystooges:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
The main problem that is being discussed is not a problem with the P&Y "club" it is a problem with the "book" and the problems the book creates. The "fame&fortune" seekers and the "collectors" paying outlandish prices for the racks entered in it. It has changed completely everything that the Pope & Young (and Boone & Crockett) record books were ever about.

The quest for attaining "record book" heads has led to poaching,lieing,cheating,stealing..... (I haven't heard of anyone being murdered over a record book head,I it wouldn't suprize me)

To have a very close friend of mine who I love like a brother(actualy I DO call him my Brother) who was LUCKY enough to kill a buck at 16 years old that qualified as a N.Y. State record(and stayed there for quite a few years) to constantly be hounded by "collectors" to sell his deer head..... To the point where he was going to GIVE it away,to be cut up for knife handle material..... JUST TURNS MY STOMACH!!!!!     :mad:    

As Mr.Thomas has said,it's a personal decision to have your animals entered or not. But, I'll never have to worry about that problem..... I refuse to even have them SCORED!!!!!

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Until this year I had never killed an animal that would score high enough to make P & Y.  My buck from this year will score high enough and i will enter him in the book.  It seems to me woodchucker that you look down on anyone that does not have the same so called ethics that you do.  I hunted the big woods of maine this year for a moose.  I hunted hard for 6 days and never even saw a whitetail while I was there, this is why I would never go to this area to hunt deer.  I am proud of every deer that I kill with every weapon that I use, I hunt in all three seasons, gun, bow and muzzeloader and would never look down on a person for any reason as long as what he was doing was legal in that state.  It is your right not to have any deer of yours scored but do not look down on anyone who wants to have their deer scored.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Steve, Congratulations on your P&Y Buck!!!!! That is a tremendous accomplishment,and I applaud your success!!!!!  :notworthy:  

Actually, I do not "look down" on people who enter their trophys in the book. The ones that I look down uppon are the people who will pay anything,do anything,legal or illegal to get a buck in the book. Also the collectors who pay anything,no matter what the cost,to attain these racks for their "collection". These are the people who create the "low moral standard" that creates the problems with "record book" trophys.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!!!  :notworthy:

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
I don't have any issues with people who put their animals in the books. That is a personal choice and the right of every hunter to choose to do or not do as they wish.

I take umbrage when someone claims a few rich guys do more than the millions of hunters who pay their licenses, vote, volunteer, etc......

Would I put a record book animal in the books?  I would say no.  I just don't have an interest in the books.  I have a brother who would do it in a heartbeat and is on a quest to shoot a book Mule Deer.  I love him the same as I did before his quest, and have even helped him with research, scouting, and camp work and chores on his quest so he could hunt without distractions.

I have issue with the hunters and collectors who are so focused on their names and animals being recognized that they forget what hunting is all about.  The cheaters and liars get taken care of by the clubs when they get caught so I would have to say the book clubs are policing their own.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »
Wow, I can honestly say I would have never guessed this thread would have gone on like this. I have one in the books and with the good lord willing hopefully add to that someday! By putting animals into the book you are contributing to probly the best organization you can, an organization that promotes the sport we love. The sad reality is that most people just think of p&y as a book and have no idea of what they really do! I hope all you guys who would never put an animal in still support p&y!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I only have shot one whitetail worth going into a record book, maybe...  I hunt for myself and personally would not put it into a record book.  I take the antlers and make them into knife handles or rattling antlers.  The Pope and Young is a tremendous organization in the same lines as Compton and PBS.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
Here are a few projects that were supported by P&Y this year (source P&Y website):

Pope and Young Club Conservation Program grants, totaling over $111,000.00, were awarded to the following projects and programs in areas of education, pro-wildlife management, pro-bowhunting, research and partnerships:

National Archery in the Schools Program
Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance
The American Wildlife Conservation Partners
United States Sportsmen's Alliance (Bowhunting Rights Coalition)
Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation
Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
Ballot Issues Coalition
Arizona Fish and Game Department / Purdue University - deer DNA research project
Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Absaroka elk research project
Judy Kovar's Hunting Heritage Programs
Becoming an Outdoors Woman Program
Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry
National Shooting Sports Foundation (public schools conservation videos)
Orion the Hunter's Institute
The Archery Hall of Fame
Hunting for Tomorrow Foundation
Alaska Fish and Game Department - wood bison restoration project
Jack Creek Preserve Foundation - youth conservation and bowhunting education
Be Bear Aware and Wildlife Stewardship Campaign
Hunting and Shooting Sports Heritage Trust - public documentary
North American Bowhunting Coalition
Youth Conservation Education Portal
National Conservation Leadership Institute
Unallocated - defense of bowhunting and defense of bowhunting-only seasons

With these grants, the Pope and Young Club has given more than a half million dollars over just the last six years to conservation projects around North America.

###

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by luv2bowhunt:
[QB] Man, sounds like alot of you would shun anyone who has ever put an animal in the books! Give me a break!
Now I'm not saying I don't like reading about game in any of the books. I know both B&C and P&Y have done lots of great things for hunting, but it's NOT FOR ME. Hell I love seeing a nice rack in a book, On TV or even in person.

I just don't believe in the scoring and to Me that's not part of hunting. If You have or going to enter any of the Trophy books I am Very Happy for You

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:

I did have a Buck registered in the "Biggest Bucks of Maine" book. I shot a Buck over 200# and the state automaticly entered my name and sent me a patch for my hunting coat.
That would mean alot more in my circle than a P&Y/B&C entry.Most of us northeasters care 90% about weight of yer buck and 10% about points.Especially a Big woods of Maine brusier.Someday I'll have that patch too,someday...

Absolutely nothing against anybody entering an animal.Go right ahead if that's your game,more power to ya.  :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline antler chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
My to cents, I think what ever the critter has in a gross score is the final score.And no hunters name in the books,just the animal,state & county.By leaving out names the killing of a trophy at any cost may slow down, respecting the animal is more important, I think.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©