3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Entering your trophys in pope and Young or other record keeping programs  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Entering your trophys in pope and Young or other record keeping programs
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2009, 03:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by antler chaser:
My to cents, I think what ever the critter has in a gross score is the final score.And no hunters name in the books,just the animal,state & county.By leaving out names the killing of a trophy at any cost may slow down, respecting the animal is more important, I think.
Totally agree, great post!!!!   :thumbsup:
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
So I have been reading all these posts, biting my tongue and trying to be patient.

So Dennis, what is your feelings,and how has this topic persuaded you or not, to enter?

It seems that the Whitetail deer is more the subject here! Just look what this animal has done for the good and bad, and the creation of many things in the last 30 years.

More later.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Family!

Good shootin, Steve.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
I don't have any book deer so to speak. Don't know what I would do if I did. Maybe if I took it with a bow.

The two biggest deer I have taken where with a gun and granted I still look at them on the wall and think Wow he was nice and relish the hunt but I would of much rather taken them with a bow.

A friend of mine who is not a bowhunter and is really just a deer hunter during gun season.  Anyway he was at the house the other day and I said "here you go this is my best trophy buck" he says "you got another one on the wall somewhere I didn't see" I pulled out a little 3 pointer that was my first trad kill and said " I took this buck at six yards with a stick and string" He looked at me kinda dumbfounded and said "I've never had a deer any closer than 25 yards" I said " yeah it's pretty awsome when you gotta stick'em so they won't step on you"

Those are my books and I do keep records right in my melon where I like them, to be cherished and one day I'll tell them to my grandkids if I ever have any. I will still nice deer with a gun during the appropiate season but I love to take any game animal with my good old archery equpment any day.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Yeah, Steve H., you can find a couple if you look hard enough. But none for the last 25 years or so... There's nothing like the freedom to change your mind about an issue... Don

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I can say, in response to an earlier posting, that I do not in any way despise or look down upon anyone who choses to enter an animal in the book.. at least, not for just that.  

There are a few who are obviously using it as a pi$$ing contest to show who is the best at obtaining dead critters.  

Most, however are not at all like that. They are rightly and justifiably proud of their accomplishment.  But just as they have plenty of right to feel as they do and enter it into the record,  so do I have the right to quietly feel good about anything I may have done and leave it at that.

Not all of us think and feel the same about all topics, and as Don has just shown, we very often change our thoughts as we grow and witness more of life's milestones.  That's just the way it is.
ChuckC

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
I never did it, but I thought about suggesting to Compton's, when they were organizing our record book system, that no reference can be made to the Compton record book in any ad.

Thats the gist of all of this....if nobody could make reference to B&C, P&Y, or any other record keeping organization, we wouldn't have the greedy CRIMINALS cheating just to whore out thier "accomplishment".

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Steve,
      My mind was made up along time ago that I would not enter any of mine. The whole book thing just doesn't feel right to me. I have no disrespect at all for any who do whoever as mentioned many times earlier it's a personal decision with no right or wrong answer. I am a supporter of P&Y. B&C, Comptons and any organization that supports hunting in general. No one can argue the good they have done for sportsmen.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  If I shot one that would make it I'd enter it.  I did shoot a 9 point that was 3/8" over green and shrunk to 1/8" once.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the why not? Dennis you took a fine animal as did your father!

Second, you took it with a real bow! A great accomplishment. Most hunters will never get this opportunity, even with a gun.

As far as the "bad apples" that people have mentioned, don't let them spoil your Pie!

Shoot, that book doesn't advertise anything. If I wanted to show off something, we are staring into a box that lets us have a chance at anything!

They don't give you a spot for free, but I respect your decision.

Good shootin, Steve

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Well I was planning on adding a couple this year but the does keep showing up first. Enjoy the hunt guys in your own way as long as it is legal and ethical.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
To each their own.  As for myself, I have never seen the point.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2009, 03:06:00 AM »
well Cootling - with deer at least; you need to be able to more than see the point....    :bigsmyl:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline G. Fred Asbell

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
I was once the prez of P&Y and currently have the same job in Compton Traditional Bowhunters, so, as you can imagine I believe in those organizations. We created the Compton system of measuring an accomplishment to reflect the traditional bowhunters mentality, which is HOW you did it, not just the animal. Take a moment and look at how Compton does it. We record everything that was involved in that hunt..the bow, the bow weight, the arrow and its material, the broadhead, hunting on ground..from a tree, etc, guided/unguided, etc. About the only thing you don't know about that hunt is what the bowhunter ate for breakfast that morning. AND, the score is a combination of the animal...which has no deductions for symmetry...and the equipment used and the way it was hunted. It's an archive of traditional accomplishment, recognizing both the animal and the method. Some will always reject any approach to their idea of trophy hunting, and that's okay, but I love to see good animals taken by a traditionalist and know totally how he did it. My opinion...gfa

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
So far, this is a relatively free country, and entering animals in 'the book' is a personal choice. I have an entry in P&Y, and I plan on entering a couple of critters in Compton's. I don't expect that those animals will make me a star, and I did it because i was proud of taking the animals with a stick and string. It doesn't make me a good or a bad person; just somebody who hunts hard and in a couple of occasions has taken large representatives of game.
I am grateful for organizations like P&Y and Compton's, and how they represent our passion for bowhunting. For the record, if I took something of 'book' quality with a rifle, I wouldn't give a hoot about entering it, but that is just my personal feeling. In fact, I don't hunt with a gun because to me, there is just no challenge in it. That doesn't mean that I think gun hunters are bad or unethical; it's just not my bag.
There are cheaters in every vocation and avocation. That doesn't mean that we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I am betting that most 'book' entries are there because a hunter hunted hard and ethically and is proud of his/her accomplishment. Nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head to make them enter an animal, so if it isn't your thing, don't do it, but there is no need to bash those who do.
And Fred, I had cereal for breakfast!   :D
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
My goal has always been to kill an animal with traditional equiptment that would be big enough to make Pope and Young. I have shot a dozen that just fall short but someday.....I guess I use the Pope and Young minimum as a benchmark. I absolutely would enter a buck if I shot one that was eligible. Talk about "Tradition" I think that there is alot of tradition associated with the Pope and Young books and club. That being said, I have shot many fine bucks that only had 4 or 6 or even 2 antler points. To me they are trophies that I will cherrish but there will be something about achieving my goal when I shoot my first "Booker" with a trad bow. Wouldn't mean much to me if I shot one with a gun or compound bow.

Offline G. Fred Asbell

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Sometimes an animal that won't quite make the P&Y minimum will make the Compton minimum because there are no deductions and because of the extra point you can get based on equipment and method. You might want to take a look at that.

Offline G. Fred Asbell

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
The Compton minimum is the same as P&Y's...125. But the Compton score is a combination of animal score and method. Go to the Compton website and go to Archives and download a whitetail score sheet and it will tell the story. gfa

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
these arguments always crack me up

if your not interested in horn(s) size--why did you shoot a buck?

I mean really--why shoot a buck, there not as good eating, as a young doe?

but everyone of you nay sayers has a hero picture posted---it's primal--- man has been trying to kill the biggest and badest since day one-- you dont think caveman jumped around a camp fire when they tipped over a mastodon?
they could have much easier shot a wolley burgur half there size.
man has been comparing sizes --since women showed up(just part of our downfall) and we will continue to do so until the final sundown

there will always be cheaters, I dont care if your drag racing, or hunting big bucks someone thinks they can cheat, and get away with it.

so dont blame the "books" for ding dongs in our sport, better yet, make an example out of the cheaters, in stead of putting them up on a platform and buying everything they touch.

get rid of them, and the real true hunters will always shine.

A wise ol man once said: "you will know when you have done it right"
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Hornhunter... your wise old man said it well.  You'll know.    

Some like to jump up and down and let the world know too,  others don't really care about that and chose to celebrate differently.  Is either wrong ?
ChuckC

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
well said!!!!
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©