3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the mornin or the evening  (Read 566 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
the mornin or the evening
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
OK which do you think is the best time morning or evening and please include you area you hunt and why you think it is better.Thank you.(and not because you can see your pink arrows better)...LOL   :D
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the mornin or the evening
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Where I hunt the deer generally are moving from the south to the north in the evening and just the opposite in the morning. It just depends on wind direction for me. Any kind of south wind is good for me in the evening and generally any kind of north wind is good in the morning.  I really like the morning hunts since it gives you all day to deal with a hit animal. If you shoot a deer close to last light and are uncertain of the hit it makes for a long, nerve wracking night of waiting to track.
           Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
There's some variables in that question I'm afraid but for what it's worth. In my area (east central IL) evening hunts almost always result in more deer sighted, but mornings always seem best for mature bucks.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
evening, cause I know I can get in with out spooking them.

Offline DanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I see more deer in the evening but have shot most all my larger deer in the morning. I hunt and live in western Arkansas in the Boston Mountain area. My treestand sites are all on the eastern slope of the mountain within 1/4 mile of my back door. The morning sun gives my old eyes more light to see my target!
USN 1968-2000

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
Evening, I'm lazy and don't like to stumble around in the dark after getting up too early.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
During the rut, I prefer the mid day.  I hunt near doe bedding areas and get to watch many daytime sparring sessions and even a few whoopee encounters.  It seems that the mid day bucks let their guard down more often.  I have had success slipping into grassy/ brushy doe bedding areas on hillsides.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I like mornings better.  Evening hunts make me feel like I'm racing the clock.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
I used to Live in Jersey and I was 50% on both mornings/evenings. In early bow & first part of Fall bow I liked the mornings better. When the last part of fall and Winter bow got there I liked Evenings better. Main reason I'm on blood thinners and the cold got me out of stand more then I would have liked.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »
Evening hunts for me,I seem to see more deer right at dusk. Down side -tracking in the dark.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »
Mornings I just hate trailing deer in the dark. When there is snow on the ground then evenings as the blood shows up easy for these old eyes.

DD

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
I've thought about this alot myself.  Of the 10 mature midwestern whitetails I've killed 7 of them were killed on mornings and 3 on afternoons.  With hunting after work, etc, I probably get 3 afternoon hunts for every morning hunt, so mornings seem to be much more prolific for me.

For just "deer hunting" not specifically hunting mature bucks I'd prefer evenings both early and late season as I'd focus on food sources regardless - and I've always had the best success hunting food in the evening.

Just my experience.

Ryan

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
I do better in the mornings. Where I hunt in Pa., I definitly shoot more deer in the morning. Between 8 and 10 is my time. The evenings are best the last hour, but the mornings I see deer for a lot longer time
Jim

Offline TRADNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
I have had more success with larger bucks in the morning, but see more deer in the afternoon.
I prefer the morning for the enjoyment factor.

During the rut I will hunt all day.

David

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
i like morning hunts! i can kill,track, clean process all at same time. lotta eve hunts with late shots takes till next day to recover.
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline ronnyg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
I would prefer to shoot one in the morning, but the evenings seems to produce better 3 out of 4 times for me down South.

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
close to bedding in the morning, close to food source in the evening.  All day during rut near doe bedding.  It really depends on when you are hunting and the area you are hunting.  For example, if you are hunting a small piece of property, you may not have permission on the piece of property the deer are feeding on heavily at the time, but you have their primary bedding area, so you would want to focus your attention on the morning hunt to catch them moving from feeding to bedding from my experience.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
In Minnesota this time of the year if you find a food source it doesn't matter.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
I see more does in the evening. When bucks are chasing does, I'll see more of them around 8-9:30 in the morning. The rest of the time, bucks usually come out much later than the does, so you have to get close enough to the bedding area to catch them during shooting light.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
I enjoy both for different reasons.  I love mornings and sitting in a stand watching as darkness turns to grey light and the world wakes up.  In the evening, it is easier to walk in to my stands and my hopes seem to increase the longer I sit, knowing that movement is likely to increase as daylight falls.  
As to which is more productive for hunting, that's a different question, and I have had good success on both, so I hunt both every chance I get.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©