3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Name on bow: sure wish...  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
Name on bow: sure wish...
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
folks wouldn't do it. I just saw a beautiful bow (won't say which one) I'd love to own in the Classifieds.  Maybe it is just me, but I absolutely can't get myself to pull the trigger on a bow with someone else's name on it.  I don't consider myself a superstitious person...possibly I am just being silly.      :knothead:        ;)    Anyone else suffer from this malady?

Should probably clarify that...I am referring to a personal name.  Someone naming a bow and putting that on there is completely different...that just adds to the character.     :archer:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Name on bow: sure wish...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
I'm seeing it less and less. It does bother me a little, but if it's a good deal, I wouldn't turn it down just because of that.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Kind'a a kin to wearin' someone elses underwear?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I bought a Black Widow PLV here on the classifieds. It has a name on it and not the person I bought it from, so I am at least the 3rd owner.  I've killed two hogs and a deer with it.  I never notice the name and couldn't even tell you what the name is unless I get up and go look right now.
I thought it would bother me, but its a non-issue.
If the deal is good and it is a bow you want, buy it!
That being said, when I order a new one, I won't even put my own name on it!  Go figure.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
I gotta say that when I buy a $900 or over bow it had better have my name on it or the bowyer will hear about it.  I have shot several bows with other archers names on them.  I like the idea of it.  I am carrying on the intent of the designer and purchasers desires for the bow.  I can't imagine a single hunter who would not want his or her bow to go to another hunter when they have passed on.  The tradition and their investment is carring on.  It is the ultimate recyling.  You get to add to the history of the bow, and your being green.  

All you guys who are uncomfortable with bows with other guys names on them, feel free to send them to me.  I will read the prior owners names and wonder about their experiences with the bow every time I shoot them.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
Names on bows are like snake skins.
I don't like either of them.
I never understood how someone could take a beautiful piece of wood and cover it up with snake skins.
No names on any of my bows, mainly because I know that someday they will be for sale.

John

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
Doesn't bother me. My favorite bow has someone's name on it, I don't even remember who. Bow still shoots great.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Wish I had one with Chester Stevenson, Howard Hill, Fred Bear... who knows what names will be looked back on some day?

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Shaun,

Give me a call, I'll but anyones name on them.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Doesn't bother me either.  One of my favorites was purchased here in the Classifieds and has a fellow TradGanger's name on it.  I cherish it just as much as my other bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
A few with my name are floating about and I've had bows with other names pass through my hands. Current crop are all nameless. It doesnt really matter much to me.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Its not hard to remove a name.400gr then 600gr automotive sand paper used wet, when its dry give it a light coat of minwax satin spray poly, next day another let it dry for a couple of days then hit it with 0000 steel wool to blend the edges a coat of paste wax on the whole bow and it will look like new...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Non Typical, you had to think about that awhile didn't you?  Underwear?   Hardly.  A name is merely part of that bows history...doesn't bother me.   And it's the easiest way to buy a $1000.00 bow.....for $500.00 in the classifieds.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
If someone thought enough about what they wanted in a bow I'd like to know who it is/was and yes it is part of the bows' history. That makes the bow more special, not less. IMHO
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
When I order a custom bow I want "Custom made for Dave Lohr" on it. I purchase a bow with the intent to keep it forever. Doesn't always work out that way.

My Thunderhorn has my name on it, and I'll soon be getting my new Brackenbury. It too, will bear my name. I plan to be shooting both until the day I croak.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
I have one that says "Custom Bighorn for Gene Wensel".  It doesn't seem to bother me, but maybe I should just throw it away.   :D
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Doesn't bother me a bit. Like Goerge said, if it means getting a $1000 bow for $500 all the better.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Ya, I'd toss it Fletcher.

My PSA has someone elses name on it.  Didn't seem to bother the bow, but sure did bother the doe it was pointed at.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
I am in the process of buying one right now. The fella whose name appears on the bow is an honorable gent, avid hunter and has given true service to his country and to all of us. I am honored that his name is on something of mine.

I have one bow with "Killdeer" on it. I figure that ten years after I croak out, someone will figure that it is the name of the bow, and allow the weapon to fulfill its intended purpose.

Everybody to their own kick...
Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I am in the process of buying one right now. The fella whose name appears on the bow is an honorable gent, avid hunter and has given true service to his country and to all of us. I am honored that his name is on something of mine.

I have one bow with "Killdeer" on it. I figure that ten years after I croak out, someone will figure that it is the name of the bow, and allow the weapon to fulfill its intended purpose.

Everybody to their own kick...
Killdeer    :campfire:  
I get that...I think it is a bit different if it is someone you know and respect and certainly considerably different if it is someone that is tied into the history/tradition of the sport...who among us wouldn't want a bow with Fred's or Howard's name on it?   Surely a different story when it is Joe Schmoe.  In pondering it, it is not even the name so much as the implication. This bow has been "crafted especially for_______".  " ________" being someone else other than me.  No biggee either way...just a random thought I was having when perusing the Classifieds.  

BTW: any bow with Killie's name on it would be a treasured keepsake.    ;)
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©