3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Name on bow: sure wish...  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Name on bow: sure wish...
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 03:43:00 AM »
I had a Widow PLX that had Biggie Hoffman's name on it...couldn't help but wonder what kinda hunts that one went thru. It doesn't bother me one bit
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 02:58:00 AM »
Well, I have two bows that were custom made for me and they both have my name on them.  A couple weeks ago, I pulled a boneheaded move and left my longbow leaning against the side of the SUV and then got in and drove home.  Didn't realize until the next morning that it wasn't inside the vehicle.

Well, long story short, about 5:30 that evening I got a call from a man who said his son had found a bow with my name on it and wondered if I wanted it back.  For THAT reason alone, I like to have my name on my bows.  This bow cost me $480 several years ago, the bowyer is no longer alive and I could not replace it if I'd wanted to.  It's very special to me and I'm darned glad to have it back.  I'm REALLY glad I had the bowyer put my name on it....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »
I sort of liked the idea of heritage, the bow passes "down the generations".

If i got a bow with someone elses name on it, i would put my name beneath and maybe in 50 years, there'd be 4-5 archers on there.

Sort of a family tree.

What would also be nice then, is for the first archer to make some notes on the bow/good experiences in a small book, which could be sent with the bow when sold, so everyone writes some notes. For me, that would add to the bows history, and give it more uniqueness.
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 04:33:00 AM »
I have a bow with "Custom Made for Steve Tottingham" (me). Another bow that I ordered my name was mistakenly left off. I was happy to take the offered discount over having my name put on it. Given that most of the bows that say "Custom Made" are not truly custom (ok, you chose the woods, big deal), I now think the first bow looks a little silly with my name on it. I don't know, maybe I'll add "Custom Made for Fred Bear" on my nameless bow!     :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 04:53:00 AM »
I know when I bought Bill Foreman's personal SR Swift "Blackhawk" [and yes it does have a custom grip] I had him "personalize it" for me.

It now says "Bill Foremans personal bow passed along to L.E. Carroll....Happy Hunting"  

Pretty special to me and you should see the Cocobolo veneer's he picked to put  in that "Baby"  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
You must be passing up some great deals. I just picked up 2 Dale Dye Trails End recurves for the price of a new one. Both have names on them. Great bows, even better deal. I'd like to think of them as bows with a history.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
Glad some of you don't like the names on the bows, I get them cheaper that way .

Would you not buy a custom gripped bear take down that Fred wrote his name on the bow handle. come on now ?

It's a legecy of the bow , make and keep memories.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
I lost a bow a few years ago (long story) but luckily the fellow who found it saw my name and did a internet search and called me...I tried to give him a reward but he wouldn't take it. that bow would have been gone without my name on it...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
I'm with George, I like getting them cheaper on the classifieds.  I'll sand the name off it bothers me that much.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Removing the name is usually quite easy, especially if it has a satin, low gloss finish that is easy to match.  Many of the bowyers will do it for a reasonable fee.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jack Whitmire Jr:
Glad some of you don't like the names on the bows, I get them cheaper that way .

Would you not buy a custom gripped bear take down that Fred wrote his name on the bow handle. come on now ?

It's a legecy of the bow , make and keep memories.

Jack
Funny...all these replies in favor seem to suggest that every bow with a name is of someone famous, unique, legendary and/or historical to the sport of hunting.  Of course I would like a bow with Fred's name on it...just like I said in a previous post.  Guess there are absolutely no bows out there with a regular person's name on it.    :rolleyes:   Just a thought...if it really doesn't bother anyone else, how come the sellers are forced to take a much lower price for them? Anyway, I am going back to check the Classifieds...seems like I am missing a ton of bows that with Fred Bear's, Howard Hill's, Jack Howard's, Ben Pearson's, Earl Hoyt's or Ishi's name on it.    :readit:    ;)
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
I like to know the history of a bow when I can. I just bought a used one that I tracked down from birth.

She was born & raised in Montana. Then she moved to Wyoming where she didn"t feel very wanted either. She was later transplanted to Jersey but was rejected there also.

But the story ends very well. She's now in Ohio where she is thought very highly of and loved very much.

You just never know where someone is going to land.....Peace

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Red Boar asked: " Just a thought...if it really doesn't bother anyone else, how come the sellers are forced to take a much lower price for them?"

I really can't believe you asked that question, when you are the one complaining about a person's name on the bow.   Really!   The answer is there are people, like yourself, who hate to see someone elses name on a bow, hence they will not pay top dollar for it.  
  :knothead:  

By the way.....I happen to have a bow with Ishi's name on it....signed and dated.  I'm just waiting for the ink to dry and it will be ready to go.     :p

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
I lost a bow a few years ago (long story) but luckily the fellow who found it saw my name and did a internet search and called me...I tried to give him a reward but he wouldn't take it. that bow would have been gone without my name on it...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I sold a Jum Brackenberry "Old Timer" about 4 years ago that had my name on it and sure wish I had it back. Anybody seen it???

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
I bought an older bow in good shape made my a high quality known maker. The snake skins on it were old and beat looking so I asked him if he could replace them.  He refinished the bow and put on new skins, reshaped the shelf a little, put in a small compass for fun and TOOK OFF THE OLD NAME AND PUT ON IT: CUSTOM FOR ....me.......   The point is that althought almost all my other bows are custom to me with my name on them, it is nothing big to take one off an put another on.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Once I bought a bow for me and one for a friend of mine ,when they were ready I drove up the bowyer and saw in made a mistake and he inverted the names on the bows.It took him a minute to cancel the wrong ones and write the corrects.So undesired names on the bows are not a issue at all.Plus for me if I decide to buy a used bow well the old owner's name is part of the history of the bow itself and it is a plus for me or I don't buy a used bow...
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
I would love to have a bow with a name on it like Fred Bear or Ben Pearson or Fred Asbell... well you know what I mean. Even Barry Wensel or Mike Mitten the list goes on and on.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Red Boar asked: " Just a thought...if it really doesn't bother anyone else, how come the sellers are forced to take a much lower price for them?"

I really can't believe you asked that question, when you are the one complaining about a person's name on the bow.   Really!   The answer is there are people, like yourself, who hate to see someone elses name on a bow, hence they will not pay top dollar for it.  
    :knothead:    

By the way.....I happen to have a bow with Ishi's name on it....signed and dated.  I'm just waiting for the ink to dry and it will be ready to go.       :p  
Nah...not really complaining at all.    :)    It is not even that big of a deal. It was just a thought I had.  Guess I got a little irritated with all the replies suggesting EVERY bow with a name on it belonged to some super famous, historically significant person and why wouldn't I want it.    :knothead:   Possibly folks are intentionally ignoring the question...I was talking about a regular, unknown, every day guy.  Admins can delete the thread with my blessings.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
I have had my name put on two bows. Not anymore. I trade bows alot and am not going to take the hit when I sell. It's not like it's a black widow and I can't tell them apart from other bows on the rack  :D  . No hate mail please, just having a little fun.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©