3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nice buck  (Read 1384 times)

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: nice buck
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
That is a great buck!  Congrats.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 04:50:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
Very nice!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
NICE!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
All these big bucks being taken by Trad Gang members is proof that not many of us have heart conditions.

As for me, I ain`t so sure I wouldn`t pop a vein!!!

Congrats on surviving extreme heart rates, and blood pressure off the scale!

Great buck!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Well done! Hard work pays off.
hunt it

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
Great deer congrats!! Nice looking bow also maybe you can share some info on it when you get back.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Congrats   :archer:    :clapper:   love to here the story.
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
That's a dandy!

Congrats on a fine buck, Griz..

Sure is nice when a lot of hard work becomes rewarded by a handful of horns, eh?

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
What a beauty!!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
What a Beauty....but dude, YOU'VE GOT to smile for the camera!    :D      :D  

Congrats my friend!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
You need to edit your subject/title line. That's not a "Nice" deer its a great deer. Love seeing the mature bucks go down.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
That is a super deer!  Great job on tricking him.  They usually outsmart me.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Very nice!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
That is a beautiful mature buck!  Hats off to you for doing it the right way.  Congratulations!  By the way, what kind of bow is that you shot him with?

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
I'm not much of a story teller, but here it goes. I have to give my wife all the credit for posting the pictures because if it wasn't for her only my best friend and hunting partner Pat would ever see the deer.

It started about 2 weeks ago, I was out scouting and just looking around about an hour's walk from the truck and ran across an old logging road at the top of the ridge. Thinking to myself, this looks like an ideal travel route. Kept walking down the old road I came across 4 large scrapes about 30 yards apart. From the size of his track it looked to be a big flat footed buck using this ridge, the scrapes were covered up with leaves so I knew he hadn't been around for a few days. I pulled out my bottle of home brew and added just a little to each scrape.

Two days later I came back to the same spot and everything looked the same. I thought to myself, this deer has either been killed or he's with a doe.

Two more days pass and it was Friday evening when I went back to check the scrapes, they were opened back up so I added a little bit more scent to each scrape to see if this would get him started. It was about 9:00 when I got home and I was feeling bad and getting sick.  In the house Saturday and Sunday with the flu.

Monday at noon still feeling like crap I knew I had to go back and check the scrapes. He's back and starting to tear the woods up abusing small saplings. Added a lot more scent and pulled out.

Tuesday after work I checked on it again and he had the scrapes absolutely tore up, had them dug out the size of an old washtub. I've got him upset now, it's time to look for a place to set up and kill him. It's too open, I need to get this deer to a more ambushable spot.Went looking for the perfect spot to set up and found what looked to me to be the right area some 200 yards away just off a nice deer trail. Called my wife asked her to check the weather channel for wind direction on Wednesday morning, she soon called back and said it looks like a storm front is moving in with an east wind. I thought to myself, if this is going to happen it's going to happen tomorrow because the deer will be on their feet, if he doesn't have a doe by then.

Wednesday morning, sprayed my boots down real good with coon urine, walked back to the last scrape and started my drag. Up through all the scrapes and across the ridge, through some underbrush and stickers to the spot I had selected where the woods opened up again. Just at light the squirrels stated barking down in the woods. I look over my shoulder and here comes some deer. A small buck right up the trail with his nose to the ground makes his way past my tree to the scent rag, stopped and gave it a little sniff, he turned his head and looked back down the trail, another deer coming. It's a buck, so I slowly picked up my bow and waited to see him a little bit better. Nice 8 pointer, getting my feet in position for the shot, by this time it had gotten brighter but still overcast with clouds. I hear another deer coming and looked down in the woods, "What the hell is this coming, all I can see is horns". By this time the other 2 deer have passed me and in the open woods looking back. Here he comes through the stickers and saplings, but he stops 30 yards away.  Was thinking to myself, "Is this going to happen or is this a big buck's sixth sense to stop".  He walked off the trail to a small sapling and proceeded to beat the crap out of this thing for 2 minutes. By this time I'm a total wreck.  He gets done and starts back up the trail.  Thinking to myself "Here he comes, don't do anything stupid". Feet in position, bows up, 3 fingers under the arrow, I'm ready for him. 18 yards away, he stops and sniffs the rag with his front leg half a step forward, I pick my spot just under his chest by his leg, slowly draw and get a good tight anchor.  WHACK, he does the high rear leg kick and takes off up the trail some 45 or 50 yards, stops, looks back and falls over. Watched him for 5 minutes, it's over, I get down and walk over to him. Thank the man I needed to thank, took some pictures, and at 51 that's about all the deer this boy wanted to drag back to the truck. Arrow passed through his heart and stuck in his opposite leg bone, he broke the arrow off, I'm assuming, from his other leg or hit a small sapling. GRIZ.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Beautiful deer for sure! Congrats
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
I got some pm's about my bow ( it's a dakota pro hunter by rick welch 64" 53# @ 30" shooting a easton axis fmj 400 @32" with a 125 muzzy phantom.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
Great deer!  Thanks for the pictures and the story!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Great story and a great buck.Thanks for sharing,and
thanks to your wife for the picture.

Craig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©