3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ultra Cam Skinny?  (Read 654 times)

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Ultra Cam Skinny?
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Help please. I just ordered a spool of Ultra Cam and would like to hear your recipes on making the string. I have heard that 12 strands is the "magical" number for this material? My main concern is getting a good nock fit. How are you beefing up your serving? I am shooting a 66" R/D T/D Longbow 59# at my 29" draw. Thanks in advance!
Page

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ultra Cam Skinny?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
8 strands will be plenty. I use either .30 Halo or .25 for center serving and .19 for the loops.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Ultra cam has a breaking strength of 125#(advertised) so we'll use half that 62.5 .  That means 6 strands is good up to a 75#bow (62.5*6/5=75).  4 is good up to a 50# bow and 5 is good up to 62.5# bow.  If your making endless loop strings use 5strands. If your making Flemish use 6.  I use a .26 crown serving and either double serve or add strands under the serving to get a good nock fit.  To find out how much you need just serve a small part( about 1.5in) and add strands until the nock fit is good.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
I use 6 strands for 45# and under and 8 strands for over. Advertised strength and actual strength tends to vary on all the string materials and I have not had a string break using that formula. The minor difference in speed compared to the extra strength of the two strands isn't worth the risk for me. As JC says your mileage may vary.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I will be making a flemish string. So from what you are saying, 12 strands is too much and 8 with double serving will make a good starting point?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
The best "trick" I know of for getting a proper nock fit was passed on to me by Rod Jenkins.  Just wrap dental floss at the nock point to get the fit you want, then add a drop of super glue to the floss.

Very large servings on very small diameter strings are apt to slip.  Adding strands underneath makes for a lumpy serving.  The floss is quick, easy, cheap, neat, and durable.

I don't use UC string material, but I can say that there are no "magic formulas"--you'll have to do some tinkering to find out what works best for you.

Chad

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
I adjust the nocking point serving the way Chad says. It's good advice.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
LBR I like to use Dyneema fishing line to build up a spot for noc fit. It lasts and doesn't come off at all even without glue, and it is slick too.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
I've use the dental floss method myself with good results, however sounds like some other good methods here too! By the way, love the Ultra Cam , switched from D97 which just keep stretching for me.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Ultra Cam is the best string material I have ever shot.  Tuff,fast, and very quite.  You'll love it.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
Page,
I've been wanting to try an 8 strand UC.  I've been told that it's comparable diameter to 8125. Currently I'm shooting 8 strands of that material double served with .026 and my X nocks are a little tighter than I like.  Otherwise love the string.  I thought the serving would probably "wear in" to perfection.  So far that hasn't happened, but I'm not shooting alot right now either.  Don't remember what nocks you shoot.  Hope you had a good hunting season.  Let me know how the string test comes out.  (This site's better than having your own R&D Dept.!)
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
Hey Richard, Yea, I thought I would try a 8 strander and see if all the hype is true. If it's any indication of the 12 strand FF I made a few weeks ago, I'll be very pleased. I keep hearing that the UC is the "bomb" for making these "skinny" strings. I've been "old school" on strings for too long. I'll keep you informed of the progress. My nocks are Easton Super Uni Nocks.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Vermonster, I know the string is not as strong as advertised which is why I used half the breaking strength when figuring out how many strands I need to use. For a 6strand string to be safe on a 60# bow each strand only needs to have a breaking strength of 50#. That's only 40% of the advertised breaking strength. The formula I'm using is also a bit overkill. You could probably get away with 4strands but 6 is more than safe.  6strands is actually SAFER than 8 because the string is just as likely to break but 6 is easier on the tips and bow. So 6strands is pretty much the best choice. I wouldn't use 8strands unless the bow was above 70# in draw weight.

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
OK Jesse, So 6 strand is better than 8 because the combined breaking strenght is less there fore the string will "give" as the limbs come to rest after the shot? An interesting thread on another forum (the "wall") has a fella using a 9 strand with great success, 3 bundles of 3.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
What advantage would an Ultra Cam skinny have over a 6 strand D97?

I'm really happy with the D97 6 strand, but always into any ideas to improve upon it.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Pebowbender, that's sorta how it works. The 6strand acts more like b-50 on the tips but doesn't stretch and creep like b-50(pretty cool huh). I suggest you make a 3 bundle 6strand. A 9strand is good but 6 will be a little rounder, quieter, and faster. Also when beefing up the serving the string won't be "lumpy" if you add the strands the right way. You just add them to each bundle and not overtop all the bundles.

Vermonster, 6strands of Ultra Cam has a HIGHER breaking strength than 16 of B-50. Do you consider 16strands of b-50 sufficient for a 59# bow?

Freefeet, the advantage of the 6strand ultra cam over a d97 is that the ultra cam won't creep like the d97 does. Speed wise there won't be much difference.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Jesse, I hunt my bows, I like the protection the extra two strands give me if anything happens in the field. I hunt some rough terrain with lots of sharp pointy stuff. For the minimal speed difference and it is only 1-2fps, I go with the extra strands. DO what makes you happy with your string building. I also use endless loop so I like the extra strand in the loops.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 04:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jesse Peltan:
Freefeet, the advantage of the 6strand ultra cam over a d97 is that the ultra cam won't creep like the d97 does. Speed wise there won't be much difference.
I haven't had any creep problems with D97 at all.  I make my own flemish strings, maybe skinny endless loops are where the creep problems are?
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
David (Vermonster13) do you pad your endless loop strings? If so with what and how many strands? I have been using 6 strand 450+ and pad the nock ends with 6 to 8 strands of dacron and serve them with nylon serving. I have some Ultra Cam and intend to build some skinny strings with it.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Well I was slow to change also but love my "skinny" string. I first used D97 and it just kept creeping. I've also read lots of follks say D97 hasn't done that. I'm wondering if change of manufacture, quality control or string maker is the difference. Anyhow I now am using UC with the exact same way I made my D97 strings and after it settles in theres no creeping for me. I make endless loops myself, have so for years, It's always been my opinion that endless have alot less chance of creeping than flemish simply because of the number of twists. I try to make my endless loops strings so that I only have to twist it a couple times for my prefered finsih length. As for padding the loops which I do I use the same material because I believe that the HP string material is going to compress B50 and lose any padding effect. But like always your mileage may vary.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©